Lower Decks Season 4

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
clearspira
Overlord

Re: Lower Decks Season 4

Post by clearspira »

McAvoy wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:02 am Michelle Forbes for some reason just never wanted to be involved in a series. She was good for guest star appearences but never as a full time actor on a series.

I am not that familiar with her work but considering I haven't seen her in other work besides BSG it makes me wonder. Not like she is constantly playing small roles in other movies or TV series either like alot of actors tend to do.

Hell she appeared in an episode of Picard only to be killed off. Wonder if that was her idea.
She probably never wanted to be typecast. A fate 90% of the Old Trek actors faced. The New Trek characters aren't popular enough to typecast their actors and I don't say that to be mean. You ask someone on the street who Saru or Sylvia Tilly is and they won't have a clue. Even Micheal is more likely to be "oh, that chick from The Walking Dead."
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

clearspira wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:01 pm
McAvoy wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:02 am Michelle Forbes for some reason just never wanted to be involved in a series. She was good for guest star appearences but never as a full time actor on a series.

I am not that familiar with her work but considering I haven't seen her in other work besides BSG it makes me wonder. Not like she is constantly playing small roles in other movies or TV series either like alot of actors tend to do.

Hell she appeared in an episode of Picard only to be killed off. Wonder if that was her idea.
She probably never wanted to be typecast. A fate 90% of the Old Trek actors faced. The New Trek characters aren't popular enough to typecast their actors and I don't say that to be mean. You ask someone on the street who Saru or Sylvia Tilly is and they won't have a clue. Even Micheal is more likely to be "oh, that chick from The Walking Dead."
Perhaps. But not with DS9 though. Besides doesn't she already play the hard nosed female character in things she is in anyway?

Also the actor who plays Saru nobody really knows what he actually looks like or really knows he is one of those actors behind a lot of makeup in a lot of movies.
I got nothing to say here.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Amusingly, it's thanks to his work on Trek that I'm now familiar with him, both his human face and voice, since he does interviews and podcasts talking about the show and his character. I'd seen him in many things over the years, but Trek is the thing that finally introduced me to the actor behind the makeup and prosthetics.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Deledrius wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:53 pm Amusingly, it's thanks to his work on Trek that I'm now familiar with him, both his human face and voice, since he does interviews and podcasts talking about the show and his character. I'd seen him in many things over the years, but Trek is the thing that finally introduced me to the actor behind the makeup and prosthetics.
I have heard of him before but it was him being in Trek where I got familiar with his prior work.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

McAvoy wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:59 amI have heard of him before but it was him being in Trek where I got familiar with his prior work.
Yup, he's one of the guys who you kinda think: "Hey, I've seen that guy before. Who is that?" and once you open IMDB, you can't stop going "Oh! That's where I've seen these facial features before!" for ten minutes straight after every linebreak in the "Starred in"-catgory.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Madner Kami wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:38 pm
McAvoy wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:59 amI have heard of him before but it was him being in Trek where I got familiar with his prior work.
Yup, he's one of the guys who you kinda think: "Hey, I've seen that guy before. Who is that?" and once you open IMDB, you can't stop going "Oh! That's where I've seen these facial features before!" for ten minutes straight after every linebreak in the "Starred in"-catgory.
For me it wasn't anything physical I recognized but him just being famous for his build and being behind alot of 'masks'.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

So... I got Prime for Christmas. And my first act was to binge Lower Decks season 1. I'm starting season 2 now.

God damn me, its actually pretty good.

And it kind of bothers me that it is. Because I don't want to like it - I admit it. I don't. But in some ways it is more ''Star Trek'' than anything since ENT and actually in many ways less canon breaking in comparison to DISCO season 1 or *shudder* PIC. It saddens me that this Pickle Rick inspired show has more traditional Trek in it than the whole of Discovery combined. But there is love for the property here that shines through I have to accept it.

Such is the state of Trek today, I guess.

I sincerely doubt that i will be able to overcome my gag reflex long enough to give PIC or DISCO another chance though. Especially as PIC is meant to be a SEQUEL to this - how these two can be set in the same universe a mere ten or so years apart is nonsense.
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

And it was said that Clearspira's heart grew three sizes that day. Truly a Christmas miracle :D
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

stryke wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:10 pm And it was said that Clearspira's heart grew three sizes that day. Truly a Christmas miracle :D
You do realize, that having an enlarged heart isn't exactly the most benefitial physical condition? Kinda rude of you be happy about Clearspira suffering from a medical hazard... 😋
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Madner Kami wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:33 pm
stryke wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:10 pm And it was said that Clearspira's heart grew three sizes that day. Truly a Christmas miracle :D
You do realize, that having an enlarged heart isn't exactly the most benefitial physical condition? Kinda rude of you be happy about Clearspira suffering from a medical hazard... 😋
Wasn't that a Family Guy skit or whatever they call it?