Star Trek Picard and Trek Taking on Modern Politics

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Mecha82
Captain

Re: Star Trek Picard and Trek Taking on Modern Politics

Post by Mecha82 »

You know maybe clearspira isn't best source when it comes to forming opinions. I mean he has clearly his own insecurities based on some of his posts.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I think in the end, speaking tentatively here, and being cautiously optimistic, I will grow to like STP. Maybe. Let's not jump the gun, but that's the feeling I get. Even if there is a DISCO crossover, headcanon is a godsend. Time will tell. I want this to wrap up before I check it out. And being on Amazon Prime, hey! That means I don't have to pay for CBS All Access.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Mecha82 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:57 pm You know maybe clearspira isn't best source when it comes to forming opinions. I mean he has clearly his own insecurities based on some of his posts.

:roll:

You ever find that straw man argument I made? :lol:
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Mecha82 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:57 pm You know maybe clearspira isn't best source when it comes to forming opinions. I mean he has clearly his own insecurities based on some of his posts.
And you are a judgemental and self-righteous prick. Y'know, based on some of your past posts.
Al-1701
Officer

Post by Al-1701 »

Something I've realized is Picard has a lot of similarities to Bruce Wayne in Batman Beyond.

-Mostly stays hold up in his family estate: check.
-Has a faithful pooch: check.
-Has a bad heart: even if its artificial check.
-Stepped away from the icon he was: check.

All Picard needs to do is smack someone with his cane and we're all set.
MrL1992
Officer

Post by MrL1992 »

I do wonder how the Synthetics ban affected the rights of sentient holograms? I do not neccesarily expect season 1 of Picard to address it as they can only stuff in so much but would hope it comes up eventually.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

Al-1701 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:20 pm First, I've been a long time fan of SFDebris, but I finally nutted up and joined the forum.

Anyway, I saw Nerdrotic's rant about the new Picard series which seems to now be in the cross hairs of fans. Apparently, the want to discuss the attitudes that led to Brexit and the election of Trump as president with a Federation that has become more isolationist. They described it as the world of TNG no long existing. Starfleet has had a shift in moral character. Picard is also a much different man from we last saw in Nemesis, affected by Data's death and the destruction of Romulus.

Now this has apparently gotten people up in arms. The "Desecration of Gene's vision" cliche is being thrown out there. However, I find the direction they're going here to be fascinating and fitting for the history of Star Trek up to this point.

Yes, the Federation has been this paragon always willing to explore strange new worlds. However, that exploration led to a devastating war with the Dominion. And the Federation has always been queasy about entangling themselves in the affairs of other powers to the point they have the Prime Directive. So, I can see the people of the Federation questioning exploration and not wanting to get involved in the Romulan crisis. This would lead to the election of more isolationist members to the council and more isolationist Federation Council would support promoting more isolationist officers into the Admiralty while sideline explorer like Picard and force them into retirement.

So, I don't get the idea of attacking this concept. It will all come down to execution obviously. However, it seems like these people want the world of Star Trek to be static. And I personally find that unrealistic. A lot has happened in the universe of Star Trek since the end of TNG, and the world will be different.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on Star Trek Picard and the concept of the Federation becoming more insular?
Instead of the Federation being Isolationist as a better Brexit allegory would be some Planet wanting to leave the Federation. Not Earth, given how Earth Centric the Federation is, Earth should be Berlin and Vulcan Paris.
Call me KuudereKun
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Picard doesn't seem fully at his wits.
..What mirror universe?
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:11 pm Picard doesn't seem fully at his wits.
And on that note I have to ask: any mention of his Space Alzheimer's that he contracted in ''All Good Things?''

That would have been a much better plot than Space Brexit. Something actually heartfelt. Something that is an actual a mature theme instead of what children believe to be mature themes (like boobies! and F-bombs!). And yes, that was an alternate future, but it was also described as being an incurable genetic disease and thus no reason why the change in timeline should prevent it in any way.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

MrL1992 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:02 am I do wonder how the Synthetics ban affected the rights of sentient holograms? I do not neccesarily expect season 1 of Picard to address it as they can only stuff in so much but would hope it comes up eventually.
Starfleet never admitted that holograms were sentient so probably not much. And frankly, Chuck once hit the nail on the head during ''Fair Haven'': if holograms can be proven to be able to evolve into actual living beings, even if its only a few, then the Holodeck is perhaps the greatest torture chamber in human history. Forget ''Westworld'' because at least those androids eventually learned than they can leave; the Holodeck is a place where you are perpetually trapped; can be reprogrammed at will, deleted at will, and lets be honest, raped at will.

Most ordinary people will never want to believe that the Holodeck can create real people lest the implications be too disturbing. And as for the people that actually build and profit off them such as Quark - he would have a vested interest in denying holograms can become sentient lest he lose what is his greatest latinum source besides Dabo and alcohol.