Star Trek Picard season 3

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: Star Trek Picard season 3

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

hammerofglass wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:54 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:52 pm
hammerofglass wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:26 pm I'm still trying to figure out how the same phasers on the same settings on this show will either barely cause the target to flinch or totally disintegrate them apparently at random.
The officers set the setting themselves. You’ll see the commanding officer often tell them to adjust them accordingly for the situation.
You see both from the same gun in the same firefight in the latest episode.
Yes'm that's consistent with what I was saying. The phaser has a setting adjustment on it that the user can switch anywhere from like tickle to vaporize.
..What mirror universe?
Mabus
Captain

Post by Mabus »

Uh boy... this one was pretty weak. So much nonsense, I guess that's why they only showed the first 6 episodes to various internet critics. Let's see:
-Starfleet, or Section 31, didn't understand which one, somehow captured 10 Changelings and began experimenting on them, to make them even better at mimicking biologicals (which is why I guess they look like ham now), because they need better spies I guess, and how does the resourceful Federation do these experiments? By giving Josef Mengele's grandma 20th century tasers, blowtorches, test tubes, needles, medical trolleys, friggin' leather gloves but no other 20th century protection, because that's or losers. Oh and space stations are now made out of concrete, apparently. Who needs gravity plates, when concrete is enough apparently.
-So the Changelings POWs now somehow can appear everywhere? Aren't there only like 10? Where did they get more? I know Worf said that a fraction split off the Great Link after the war ended, so maybe Vadic's group recruited them (she did say something about sharing her new biological abilities with others at a cost) but how did the two Changeling factions even meet? The Changeling homeworld is in the Gamma Quadrant, how did they even get there? The Shrike couldn't have come through the wormhole, DS9 would have detected it. Where did they build it, in the Alpha Quadrant?
-Why didn't Picard, Seven and Shaw get in contact with non-Starfleet people? They kept trying contacting Starfleet captains like Tuvok, only to find out they were all compromised but no one tried to go off the grid?
-Is Harry Kim still an ensign?
-Jack now has some funky telepathy, ha ha, Picard is Prof. X. But really, is this the reason they want him? Because he has some different form of telepathy?
-So what were they planning to do after entraping the bird-men? Jettison them into space? Freeze them? And why is everyone on the ship OK with only 2-4 people trying to capture like 7-8 Changelings? Is that the best plan they could come up with?

There are more issues, but I feel that I'm repeating myself. I don't know how the story will wrap up, since there are 3 more episodes to go, but I feel that it's becoming too complicated, and I see that the writers are still using the mystery box, which is annoying.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

This whole plot could have been resolved two episodes ago if Worf gave Martok a call.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
CMWaters
Officer

Post by CMWaters »

"You're only given a little spark of madness. And if you lose that, you're nothing."
Robin Williams
1978 HBO Special
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

hammerofglass wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:56 pm This whole plot could have been resolved two episodes ago if Worf gave Martok a call.
Martok is, notably, completely bereft of his genius when it comes to Changelings.
m4a2000
Officer

Post by m4a2000 »

The teasing of what Jack is has gone on one point five episodes too long. At this point it can't live up to the hype, it just can't.

There were some good moments with Data, Worf saving the day, and Vadic getting blown out into space (which is something I like to see in Trek) but the constant teasing of what Jack is has jumped the shark.

I saw one fan think it ties into the Pah-wraiths. If so... I don't know man. Just tell us at this point!
It's OK to make mistakes as long as you don't make the same ones. If you do then you're not learning.
CMWaters
Officer

Post by CMWaters »

And at least this season's requisite F-Bomb made sense.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. And if you lose that, you're nothing."
Robin Williams
1978 HBO Special
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

So it's kind of weird that latest episode had an aside just to establish that Shaw is deliberately deadnaming Seven to piss her off. Like did they think he was getting too likable or something? In real life that kind of open blatant bigoted harassment would cost him his job. Like seriously what, does he do the same thing when people get married and take a new surname?

Data pulling a Durkon was pretty cool.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Mabus
Captain

Post by Mabus »

After episode 8, I am not getting the feeling that there are only 2 more episodes left of this season/show. The story is now crawling and every side scene feels more like time padding. Also, one issue I felt this episode is that due to how many dark and edgy schlock NuTrek has been spewing over the last seasons of STD, STP and SNW, I am pretty much desensitized to anything the villains do to random characters. I literally didn't give a shit when Vadic eeny-meeny-miny-moed that Vulcan officer, though it probably also didn't help that there was a scene right before that where a random Changeling burdman killed those Titan younglings, which cut to Picard and Beverly trying to unlock the ship and didn't even acknowledged their deaths, even though they were all right next door apparently and both of them should have heard their screams. By the end of the episode though, everyone forgot about them, which, now that I think about it, I find it hilarious.

Also, Jack apparently is not just a telepath he's possessed by some evil spirit thingy and the Irumodic syndrome is now gonna be some "midiclorians" that allows him to hijack the entity's powers?

I hate mystery boxes.
hammerofglass wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:17 pm So it's kind of weird that latest episode had an aside just to establish that Shaw is deliberately deadnaming Seven to piss her off. Like did they think he was getting too likable or something? In real life that kind of open blatant bigoted harassment would cost him his job. Like seriously what, does he do the same thing when people get married and take a new surname?

Data pulling a Durkon was pretty cool.
See, this one is something that doesn't make much sense when you think about it. Hansen IS her real name, while Seven is the name her captors forced it upon her for more than a decade, and even altered her body and brain to literally accept her new name! It's literally the opposite of deadnaming, since Seven/Hansen did NOT consent to getting that new identity, if anything Seven deadnames herself! If the assimilation process is basically kidnapping, rape and brainwashing, she should have rejected that new name and go back to her original name. But nope, fans know her as "Seven" so we have to stick to that.

The entire Shaw-Seven/Hansen name conflict is stupid, since it's premise is flat out dumb.
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

hammerofglass wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:17 pm Data pulling a Durkon was pretty cool.
I'm glad it wasn't just me who imediately saw where that was going when he started handing his memories over.