Star Trek: Discovery - spoilery thoughts?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
technobabbler
Officer

Re: Star Trek: Discovery - thoughts?

Post by technobabbler »

Redem wrote:Sarek managed to mess up his relationship with all 3 of his kids
to paraphrase Chuck, Mrs. Sarek must be able to suck down a photon torpedo cuz "logical" Sarek lives the rest of his private life dealing w/his illogical half-human kids.
Redem
Officer

Post by Redem »

I kinda want to see the Vulcan Expeditionary Group and see the amazing adventures they have that they be considered better than having a post on Starfleet
Dînadan
Officer

Post by Dînadan »

Redem wrote:I kinda want to see the Vulcan Expeditionary Group and see the amazing adventures they have that they be considered better than having a post on Starfleet
Obviously they're not amazing adventures, but unexciting, in depth studies; amazing adventures are a rather illogical way to explore the universe!

;)
FakeGeekGirl
Officer

Post by FakeGeekGirl »

Like ... on one hand I'm cringing a little over how they tied in Michael's backstory to Spock's because I still think it's a little Mary Sueish, but it does explain why Sarek was so pissed at Spock for choosing Starfleet even though his marriage to Amanda implies he's not a xenophobe.

Also I'm starting to get the sense that Lorca is like a very dark foil to Kirk. I didn't get that before, but after watching him deploy the Kirk maneuver on the admiral and how obsessive he is over the ship, I was suddenly in mind of Kirk without the heroic qualities.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Redem wrote:I kinda want to see the Vulcan Expeditionary Group and see the amazing adventures they have that they be considered better than having a post on Starfleet
I have the idea in my head they do nothing but stellar astrography and watching comets with no alien gods, murderous oil slicks, or Ferengi Pirates.

And it's FASCINATING.
Dînadan wrote:
Obviously they're not amazing adventures, but unexciting, in depth studies; amazing adventures are a rather illogical way to explore the universe!

;)
Dammit! Shows me for not reading down.
technobabbler
Officer

Post by technobabbler »

Logically, it's safer and cheaper* to send waves of drones/probes into deep space. No space ameobas will eat you, but no fame, glory and smugness of being the first human to see XYZ---but those are human emotional traits anyway.

*yes, post-scarcity economy. assume that only applies to consumer goods and food. Energy, presumably anti-matter, dilithium and space ships still has costs.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Starfleet stopped sending unmanned probes into space when they started coming back as homicidal world killers.
Paul Walker
Officer

Post by Paul Walker »

GandALF wrote:I think people are mistaking Worf for the typical Klingon, at the end of Redemption the "good" Klingons scoff at him for not killing the Duras kid. Then there's also this exchange in DS9's You Are Cordially Invited regarding his marriage to Dax:

Worf:"You never told me that your wife was opposed to this marriage!"
Martok:"Sirella is a woman of strong convictions; she believes that by bringing aliens into our families we risk losing our identities as Klingons."
Worf:"That is a prejudiced, xenophobic view!"
Martok:"We are Klingons, Worf! We don't embrace other cultures, we conquer them! If someone wishes to join us, they must honor our traditions, and prove themselves worthy of wearing the crest of a Great House."

So the Discovery writers aren't pulling this stuff out of their ass.
YES! Someone else picked up on that part.

One of the main writers for this series is involved in the ongoing series of books for Voyager. I know, Voyager's not great, but the books are substantially better than the series, because it thrives on its continuity and tries to play characters to their strengths.
"We are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I always liked the fact Worf is the equivalent of a Klingon Paladin. He's extremely good at following the letter AND the spirit of Kahless' laws but the rest of Klingondom tends to follow a much more flexible "Prosperity Gospel" version of Honor--which is to say they follow the ways of honor when it's convenient to them and ditch it whenever it ceases to be. I think this is the result of Worf being raised by the equivalent of textbooks and taking them all at their word.

Of course, it says everything you need to know about Klingons that Kahless was a Middle Ages Warlord and he's STILL a liberal by modern Klingon standards.
GandALF
Officer

Post by GandALF »

CharlesPhipps wrote:I always liked the fact Worf is the equivalent of a Klingon Paladin. He's extremely good at following the letter AND the spirit of Kahless' laws but the rest of Klingondom tends to follow a much more flexible "Prosperity Gospel" version of Honor--which is to say they follow the ways of honor when it's convenient to them and ditch it whenever it ceases to be. I think this is the result of Worf being raised by the equivalent of textbooks and taking them all at their word.

Of course, it says everything you need to know about Klingons that Kahless was a Middle Ages Warlord and he's STILL a liberal by modern Klingon standards.
Kahless did kill both Surak and Abraham Lincoln in his first appearance as part of the evil team, which I can't see Worf doing. I think Worf's outlook is more of a hybrid: he's an honourable warrior who fights to defend the Enterprise whereas most other Klingons fight for glory i.e for the sake of fighting which is going to be pretty destructive if your whole society revolves around that even if it is done honourably. It also makes Worf kind of a tragic character by being too human for Klingon town and too much of a Klingon for human town.