Will Chewbacca be more than the family dog in the new canon?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Robovski
Captain

Re: Will Chewbacca be more than the family dog in the new canon?

Post by Robovski »

Ordo wrote:
Agent Vinod wrote:
Ordo wrote:
Agent Vinod wrote:
Ordo wrote:Chewie was killed off in the old EU during the Vong Invasion, so he's doing all right in comparison.
Better die a hero than live like a dog.
A moon was dropped on his head in the old EU. It was played for tragedy and pointlessness and not some grand heroic sacrifice. As it stands, Chewie's the one that put a round in Kylo Ren, giving Rey and Finn a fighting chance during TFA when they fought him. In TLJ he's the one flying the Falcon in a combat mission and doing a noticeably better job then Rey did when she tried it on her own back on Jakku.
Nover does he have his own narrative. :(
That's a real book BTW: https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Last-C ... 1484780760
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Robovski wrote:
Ordo wrote:
Agent Vinod wrote:
Ordo wrote:
Agent Vinod wrote:
Ordo wrote:Chewie was killed off in the old EU during the Vong Invasion, so he's doing all right in comparison.
Better die a hero than live like a dog.
A moon was dropped on his head in the old EU. It was played for tragedy and pointlessness and not some grand heroic sacrifice. As it stands, Chewie's the one that put a round in Kylo Ren, giving Rey and Finn a fighting chance during TFA when they fought him. In TLJ he's the one flying the Falcon in a combat mission and doing a noticeably better job then Rey did when she tried it on her own back on Jakku.
Nover does he have his own narrative. :(
That's a real book BTW: https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Last-C ... 1484780760
Yay, the 4th most recongnizable thing in Star Wars has a tiny book whose story ties into a movie. :|
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Well, he does, um, get into a trap because someone put down some food.

And he can be big, hairy, and menacing.

And he does get the hydrospanner when Solo asks for it, so he can, um... fetch?

OK, he puts C3P-O back together. Not many dogs can do that. Maybe border collies.
MyUserName
Officer

Post by MyUserName »

Agent Vinod wrote:Is he being treated better than in the old EU?

i guess with Han dead he has a reason to do some adventuring on his own.
The EU treated him pretty damn well if you ask me. Most books which give him a spotlight, Besides Black Fleet Crisis, skip that mess, are actually pretty good. Han Solo Trilogy was well pulled off and Him and Han played well off eachother. The Initial Thrawn Trilogy gave him and Wookie culture some great moments. I think many writers didn't really know how to portray him, which is why Black Fleet characterized him and all wookies as a shaggy Klingons just to get the book to print. Meanwhile better writers like AC Crispin make the wookie culture more distinct while maintaining the wookie code of honor aspects. Even Zahn, as good a writer as he is, would often sideline chewie if he couldn't think of a suitable way to include him in the plot.

Then there was his death scene which is second only to Ganner's. It's like Matthew Strover heard someone saying there would be no more epic death scene then, after sacrificing your escape route to make sure the son of your best bro gets out safely, shouting the wookie equivalent of "Come at me bro" to a falling moon, and he replied "Hold my beer" and went off to write Traitor.

And the follow up to that, the Chewbacca tribute graphic novel, if you can read that thing and NOT get misty eyed, I don't even know what to say. I've known people that can't even make it halfway through because that book gets WAY too real with the grief it writes into the Star Wars heroes. Han falling in and out of denial about chewies death is particularly heartbreaking.

The New Canon on the other hand... ugh. Last Jedi dropped the ball by sidelining chewie wheras they could have had him grappling with his life debt to Han and his family, and the need for vengence vs the need to honor that life debt.
MyUserName
Officer

Post by MyUserName »

Darth Wedgius wrote:Well, he does, um, get into a trap because someone put down some food.

OK, he puts C3P-O back together. Not many dogs can do that. Maybe border collies.
You left out how he pretty much won the Battle of Endor for the entire Rebel Alliance. It was his commandeering that AT-ST that won the skirmish, and allowed for the Shield Generator to be taken down, and thus for the Death Star to be destroyed.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

MyUserName wrote:
Darth Wedgius wrote:Well, he does, um, get into a trap because someone put down some food.

You left out how he pretty much won the Battle of Endor for the entire Rebel Alliance. It was his commandeering that AT-ST that won the skirmish, and allowed for the Shield Generator to be taken down, and thus for the Death Star to be destroyed.
I did forget that. Chewie played a critical role in the destruction of the second death star, and I'd bet he still didn't get a medal.