Reevaluating Star Trek: Enterprise

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Admiral X
Captain

Re: Reevaluating Star Trek: Enterprise

Post by Admiral X »

I was kind of the opposite in that I never started watching it until about halfway through the third season. I happened to be registered over at TrekBBS at the time, and people over there talked me into giving it a try because they thought it was getting better with the whole XIndi arc thing. I kind of got into it, it's just that it never struck me as being a good prequel.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

Was watching ENT season 4 and DS9 season 1 earlier. Even the objectively bad episode of DS9, Move Along Home, at least had engaging characters. The episode "Dax", meanwhile, was really fun to watch, unlike the ENT episodes, "The Forge"/"Awakening"/"Kir'Shara", which despite being well-put-together still somehow dragged and I'm not really sure why.

Yeah, ENET sucked hard, and I think it was a deeper level than just the scripts because even Manny Coto's good work just isn't as good as even early, mediocre DS9.
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

Worffan101 wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:20 pm Was watching ENT season 4 and DS9 season 1 earlier. Even the objectively bad episode of DS9, Move Along Home, at least had engaging characters. The episode "Dax", meanwhile, was really fun to watch, unlike the ENT episodes, "The Forge"/"Awakening"/"Kir'Shara", which despite being well-put-together still somehow dragged and I'm not really sure why.
The main memory for me about "Dax" was what a blatant a lie the episode trailer was.

WHEN YOU LIVE. ON THE EDGE OF THE UNIVERSE. THE UNKNOWN... IS YOUR ENEMY!

... then you tune in and it's a courtroom episode :lol:
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

Durandal_1707 wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:44 pm
Worffan101 wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:20 pm Was watching ENT season 4 and DS9 season 1 earlier. Even the objectively bad episode of DS9, Move Along Home, at least had engaging characters. The episode "Dax", meanwhile, was really fun to watch, unlike the ENT episodes, "The Forge"/"Awakening"/"Kir'Shara", which despite being well-put-together still somehow dragged and I'm not really sure why.
The main memory for me about "Dax" was what a blatant a lie the episode trailer was.

WHEN YOU LIVE. ON THE EDGE OF THE UNIVERSE. THE UNKNOWN... IS YOUR ENEMY!

... then you tune in and it's a courtroom episode :lol:
I never saw the episode trailer.

I just loved the intro scenes with the bad guys kidnapping Dax and the good guys countering them intelligently, and the Bajoran judge lady. "I'm old so we're going to get this done fast with no monkey business, understand?" lol
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

Found it!

http://www.startrek.com/watch_video/episode-preview-dax

Of course, the all-time prize for this sort of thing has to go to Voyager's "Parturition", where the "heart-pounding action" turned out to be Paris and Neelix caring for a baby muppet, and the scary-looking alien was its mom stopping by to pick it up from daycare. Teenage me was just about ready to throw something at the TV. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAbrT6592Yg
FaxModem1
Captain

Post by FaxModem1 »

Enterprise had the same curse as a lot of 90s Trek, it takes them two years to get it right. Which is a heck of a lot of slack for a TV show in any market. By the time of the 2000s, audiences had moved on, and their good will had gone with them.

However, Enterprise had improved tremendously with season 3, and became good with season 4. It would have been interesting to see the direction they were going with the Federation slowly coming about and the Romulans coming out of the shadows for war.

Shame that the show was already a dead man walking by that point.
PerrySimm
Captain

Post by PerrySimm »

Well, Enterprise did get that relevance bump from Star Trek: Beyond. It's certainly a bit of fun when Simon Pegg comes up on the pre-film trailer wearing a MACO T-shirt.
UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

PerrySimm wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:16 am Well, Enterprise did get that relevance bump from Star Trek: Beyond. It's certainly a bit of fun when Simon Pegg comes up on the pre-film trailer wearing a MACO T-shirt.
MACO's is one of the few good ideas they had.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Slash Gallagher wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:32 am MACO's is one of the few good ideas they had.
Sadly, I recall it being used about as well as the Maquis on Voyager, with the exception perhaps that the MACOs at least technically existed all season.