Why do I get this way about Star Trek?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Re: Why do I get this way about Star Trek?

Post by Karha of Honor »

Yukaphile wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:49 pm Actually, TNG and DS9 were the rare exceptions, more about art than money. Voyager was full-blown start-up network's pet project. Enterprise was just a pale imitation of that. DS9 especially was a TOS fan passion project near the end.
Because...?

What makes you think the suits did not put the same Ferengi pressures on the creative teams?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Actually, the whole "TOS aesthics vs. modern aesthics" could fill a whole tread... lemme get on that...
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Actarus
Officer

Post by Actarus »

Oh please don't...
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Too late. :lol:
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
MissKittyFantastico
Officer

Post by MissKittyFantastico »

Yukaphile wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:14 pmAnd you guys still can't understand why old-school fans are so disappointed?
You really need to consider that your personal opinions aren't the gospel of 'old-school fans', nor are the people you're talking down to inferior in their fandom to you. Frankly if all these discussions you're starting and prolonging are all predicated on your views being the only ones you'll accept as representative of 'true' fans, there's no point saying one word more to any of them.
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

I'm an old-school fan. I've stopped caring. I can enjoy the old shows mostly intact on a variety of services. I thought they were bringing the movies around to better ground but then cancelled it and I don't like STD. But I can't bring myself to care about this or Star Wars any more, I'll enjoy The Orville while I have it and then go find something else to enjoy and if I want a Star Trek hit I'll go watch some DS9 or something I fancy. It's not worth getting worked up over.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

True, there is potential abuse of "No True Scotsman," but then, Star Trek seems uniquely suited to that, doesn't it? Given the many different "hats" it's worn over the years, from hard sci-fi to goofy comedy to rampant unintended silliness to fun space adventures to nature documentary to political themes and human commentary to epic war drama and space action. That's a lot over its nearly sixty years. And we all have our own feelings about where it should be going and what's most important. I do know STD wouldn't be so controversial if old-school fans weren't so upset, so that's where my thinking came from. But then, that could mainly be nostalgia goggles. And many explanations past the seemingly obvious, true. It's just my feeling, though. Take it as it is.
Alasar
Redshirt

Post by Alasar »

Yukaphile wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:00 pm True, there is potential abuse of "No True Scotsman," but then, Star Trek seems uniquely suited to that, doesn't it? Given the many different "hats" it's worn over the years, from hard sci-fi to goofy comedy to rampant unintended silliness to fun space adventures to nature documentary to political themes and human commentary to epic war drama and space action. That's a lot over its nearly sixty years. And we all have our own feelings about where it should be going and what's most important. I do know STD wouldn't be so controversial if old-school fans weren't so upset, so that's where my thinking came from. But then, that could mainly be nostalgia goggles. And many explanations past the seemingly obvious, true. It's just my feeling, though. Take it as it is.
I think you don't understand the fact that the "No True Scotsman" isn't a regular usable term but a definition of a fallacious argument. You can not abuse the "No True Scotsman", the use of a "No True Scotsman denotes that the user of it has set impossible standards that no one can live up to. You mentioned earlier that you thought Star Trek fans would be different from Star Wars fans. I think the nuanced tone you've heard up to this moment has been that difference. The stark reliance on a pure form of fandom, coming from you I might add, is exactly the kind of fandom I have seen from Star Wars that up to this point repulsed me.

I, myself, am disappointed in the current product and as such, I both have accepted the fact that the current crop of material isn't for me, and that I will either have to find something else or hope for a something more to my liking in the future. My hope stems from a sincere belief that the use of science fiction to tell morality tales is something that is sorely missed on screen. I don't, however, pretend to feel raped because 'du clinguns no look right'. I do get upset because they look stupid, impractical and alienates them from the audience to such a ridiculous extent that I think it damages its implementation with the storyline.

To get back to your original answer of "Why do I get this way about Star Trek?". I think you get that way because you are, deep inside, one of those nitpicking fanboys that has set up a part of their mind within the reality of the fictional universe they love, and the moment the show changes they get the same reaction as if actual reality would have changed. Something similar to gaslighting. But I don't think that is a problem with the product or the fandom at a large. I think that it is the problem of the individual fans and it can be worsened by the encouragement of those around them, something I've seen a lot of in the Star Wars or Comic Book fandom. If you actually had taken the morality lessons of Star Trek even slightly to heart, you might have realized that the way to deal with change is to adapt and where possible influence the change so you fit better within it. To fight it, as vehemently as you do, is the antithesis of that.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I thought No True Scotsman wasn't so much about having impossible standards, just nebulous, in which case I think Yuka's response (if directed to MissKitty's post and not Robov's) uses it correctly.

I don't see so much of a problem with bringing up old school fans, though I don't personally just take it at face value. And even if I did, it doesn't necessarily change anything because it's not their franchise. Then again I don't prescribe to the Marxist infusion of fans having some ordained stake in Star Trek in which all their labored viewership is exploited by the corporate machine.
Power laces... alright.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Oh I admit to being a nitpicking fan, though I never intentionally wanna gaslight someone. It's really just about latent anxieties and insecurities. Plus the horrifyingly scary future we face. As I wrote in another thread, I do think out of Doctor Who and Star Wars, that Star Trek's modern approach to the material is poor, and ranked third in comparison to them.