Star Wars Legends/Old Eu help?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: Star Wars Legends/Old Eu help?

Post by Yukaphile »

And you guys wonder why I say Legends bashing is picking up? It's like in fanboys' eager zeal to embrace the new "canon" and a more "consistent" tone, they ignore every series is gonna be highly subjective. I'll take the worst of Legends over the worst of NuCanon, Last Jedi, any day.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Yukaphile wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:47 pm And you guys wonder why I say Legends bashing is picking up? It's like in fanboys' eager zeal to embrace the new "canon" and a more "consistent" tone, they ignore every series is gonna be highly subjective. I'll take the worst of Legends over the worst of NuCanon, Last Jedi, any day.
Frankly, I question if you're a fan of the Legends universe (this is jokingly done, by the way). If you were a REAL legends fan then you wouldn't unconditionally defend it. The real Legends fans among us have epic notes of how much we hated X, Y, and Z. If you can't hate something you love, you have no right to call yourself a fan.

:)

As a true fan, I can list my hatred ranging from the transfer to Del Ray from Bantam, the quasi-canonicity of Marvel comics, and my loathing of Cade Skywalker. Shame on you Yukaphile for defending everything! SHAME!

Also, I recommend the following:

Bloodline
Lost Stars
Alphabet Squadron
Darth Vader
Doctor Aphra

You might find you like these books and comics
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I'm not claiming it's flawless. But I do take serious issues with those in charge and how they encourage this, especially for younger fans. EckhartsLadder seems the only huge YouTuber to date to actually DEFEND Legends and stick up for it. That's rare. Those in charge really seem to act as if theirs is somehow so much better than the old EU while they pilfer from Legends. Again, they could designate it far differently than they have now. Make it a complete multiverse. I think that'd make most fans happy. But then, it's what I've said from the start. They REALLY wanna play it from multiple angles to try and make EVERYBODY happy. And when you half-ass it like that, EVERYBODY gets pissed off. Also, CharlesPhipps, I am SERIOUSLY not interested in just reading rehash after rehash after rehash. That's what Star Wars is becoming now, and the new canon will be rebooted in just 20 years. Why should I stick around for something that's not gonna be permanent until they get their HEADS out of the asses and take the obvious choice in making it a multiverse? We are NOT idiots. DC and Marvel do it quite well. No, I'll stick to my childhood, thanks. Not this new bullshit that won't last.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Yukaphile wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:39 pmAlso, CharlesPhipps, I am SERIOUSLY not interested in just reading rehash after rehash after rehash. That's what Star Wars is becoming now, and the new canon will be rebooted in just 20 years. Why should I stick around for something that's not gonna be permanent until they get their HEADS out of the asses and take the obvious choice in making it a multiverse? We are NOT idiots. DC and Marvel do it quite well. No, I'll stick to my childhood, thanks. Not this new bullshit that won't last.
No offense but you judging new canon without reading it doesn't do you any favors. Read Lost Stars and I will actually pay you twenty dollars.

If you don't love it, I will publicly apologize too.

It's brilliant.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I can concede it's probably well-written. But I will remain loyal to Legends until it is given better treatment. New canon has a few stinkers too. But loving something means you love it ALL. I just wish Legends and new EU could be their own worlds. But those in charge LITERALLY just see Legends AND the new EU as supplementary material, like a goddamned databook. Nothing more. As a result, I guarantee you the new canon these younger kids love? Will also be bastardized into a new mishmash of Star Wars in 20 years when it is inevitably rebooted. And no one deserves that! We should be able to have both be part of Star Wars! It's not HARD to organize Legends into a coherent universe existing side-by-side along the six movies that are a part of both! "But that's too hard!" It's much easier to STEAL from Legends.
AquaReggie
Officer

Post by AquaReggie »

Yukaphile wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:00 pm I can concede it's probably well-written. But I will remain loyal to Legends until it is given better treatment. New canon has a few stinkers too. But loving something means you love it ALL.
Okay now I feel we seriously disagree. I love Star Trek, was introduced to it by my dad. But I don't feel compelled to love the racist undertones in "Code of Honor", or the more blatantly sexist TOS episodes. If someone told me those were being officially removed from canon, I wouldn't complain much.
Yukaphile wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:00 pm I just wish Legends and new EU could be their own worlds. But those in charge LITERALLY just see Legends AND the new EU as supplementary material, like a goddamned databook. Nothing more. As a result, I guarantee you the new canon these younger kids love? Will also be bastardized into a new mishmash of Star Wars in 20 years when it is inevitably rebooted. And no one deserves that! We should be able to have both be part of Star Wars! It's not HARD to organize Legends into a coherent universe existing side-by-side along the six movies that are a part of both! "But that's too hard!" It's much easier to STEAL from Legends.
I guess my response would be, who cares? If Disney Star Wars stays together without reboots for another 20 years, that'd actually be an optimistic outcome. Now, in fairness my interest in Big Two comics is low partly because of the frequent reboots and retcons. But alternative continuities are just as big a factor in my lack of Marvel/DC interest. I'm glad they're picking one as canon going forward - I still had the fun experiences of reading Truce at Bakura, Shatterpoint, and so on, and Disney's EU isn't removing that.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Maybe love it all is a strong word. That said, I have said over and over that I consider Legends a clear timeline. And yeah, nothing in Legends could ever be as bad as "Code of Honor."

Well, in truth, a reboot might come far earlier. We'll see. DCEU failed so hard, they needed it.