So I saw TMP at the theater.

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: So I saw TMP at the theater.

Post by Yukaphile »

I'd argue that's what Roddenberry wanted all along, but the studio execs kept him down. Hell, I also find issue with Chuck's claim that Roddenberry went through a huge transformation between TOS and TNG based on that one episode where he clearly took inspiration from Isaac Asimov, to whom he was a good friend. If anything, he might have got more set in his ways once he lost control of the film franchise to Harve Bennett and Nicolas Meyer, and it's no secret in his later years he felt Trek was being distorted into something it should not be. And that was before DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise, even, haha. :lol:
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I described to my wife that Gene Roddenberry created a series based on the serials of his youth and then hired a bunch of the world's greatest science fiction authors at the time (who were working as screenwriters), only to get irritated that plenty of them had their own ideas for how to write science fiction.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

It's funny because I choose to consider this film as it is out the gate of the original series. As far as anticipation for a feature film, I can see how it comes off disappointing and empty. As a concept of an episode elevated to the development of a movie, I think it's charming.

Space set pieces were obviously nothing but models suspended from strings, and I could appreciate this movie showcasing the Skywalker Ranch effects for the sake of it. I really didn't feel over exposed on that. All the melodrama though was either contrived or fumbly.

Kirk's like "I want Enterprise. See you in 3.5- minutes."
SF offscreen is like, "okie dokie."
Kirk's like "damn that was ballbusting."
New captain was like: "you know what old man? This sucks."
Kirk: "don't hate the player, hate the game."
Power laces... alright.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Pretty much sums up Roddenberry. Lucas could be described as the same, but he was far more humble, while Roddenberry was a liar and an egotist.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Having read a lot of the behind-the-scenes info in The Fifty-Year Mission it's a miracle we got a movie at all, let alone one that works as well as it does. Egads, everyone was pulling in different directions on that thing.
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

Shame we never get showings like this around here. :(
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR