The Planned Star Wars Trilogy is Dead

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Mecha82
Captain

Re: The Planned Star Wars Trilogy is Dead

Post by Mecha82 »

Darth Wedgius wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:41 pm I've heard Rogue One was a pretty good movie.
It is. It's basically war movie in Star Wars universe with characters being pretty much being Rebel grunts on suicide mission with they deaths having impact on universe even when they names are forgotten. None of them are Jedi or any other kind of Force users. They are just regular people doing they part against Empire.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLiiIoywCPA&feature=push-u-sub&attr_tag=UjYL0KqMWsRlWn7N%3A6
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

clearspira wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:23 am Go woke, go broke.
There's far more than that going on here and not even the major part.

They treated Star Wars like a vein of ore and sought to mine as much out of it and leave the mountain side desolate, trouble was how they mined wound up burying more ore than they could extract.

They need to stop using and abusing IPs and actually make them grow.... the trouble is, I don't know if that could have been done with Star Wars. I think it's scope is too limited despite what the EU did with it. It's too creatively incestuous to expand itself beyond the limits established by the original trilogy.
CmdrKing wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:52 pm Beyond that, a key reason that Game of Thrones works is that each faction is inherently selfish and willing to solve their problems with rivers of blood if push comes to shove, but also willing to make unlikely alliances and all that.
GoT went too far with characters backstabbing to a degree rarely seen in history. The books are effectively skimming many terrible events from history and then shoving them in together happening back to back - even the original Red Wedding was clannish blood feuding, not typical politics.

There's also the fact that GoTs structure and outlook prevents a satisfying ending given how cynically nihilistic it is. I think the worst thing about the ending was these two trying to strike a middle ground of being true to the inevitable conclusion while also providing a satisfying ending and failing to do both.
mathewgsmith wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:57 pm That's not remotely how copyrights and trademarks work. If the franchise fails they take their toys and go home so nobody else can play with them, then re-release everything ten years later. It's Disney, they have a whole charming marketing gimmick based around it.
They incessantly lobby to keep Mickey and the rest of their near hundred year old content from falling out of their hands, they're not gonna let Star Wars go unless it's murdered nice and thoroughly and dumped off onto someone else (which given what they've learned with their "Disney's Vault" gimmick, they never would and will simply wait for it to come back in demand to rerelease).
McAvoy wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:34 am
Rocketboy1313 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:11 am
mathewgsmith wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:43 pm I think it's wrong to assume they would try to do GOT style politicking. It's really obvious that they HATED that aspect of the series. As soon as they ran out of stuff to adapt directly they dropped it like a hot potato in favor of simplistic Good Guys and Bad Guys, then killed off or completely changed the character of everyone who was morally grey.
I agree with this.

Just because the only job they have ever had is running Game of Thrones, does not mean everything they ever do will be done in that plotting/style/tone.
I mean, look at someone like JMS, who has written "Babylon 5" and also wrote the Clint Eastwood movie "Changeling".
The idea that they won't be able to do something other than what they have already done is strange.
There is certainly an argument for that.

Rumor has it that HBO had no problem funding extra episodes, money or will. Game of Thrones was making them alot of money. If this is true, then it wasnt HBO who shortened the last two seasons.

I mean let's be honest, the series probably needed those 7 episodes to help draw out and fully bring out the ending that we got. With the exception of Bran. That's just stupid.

JMS made some brilliant stuff outside of B5 anyway.
But how would continuing the series that long benefit them, especially as the series wore on and its popularity waned, if only relative to how big a hit it was near its launch.

Regardless of what else was factored in, it seems they wanted to dump the old hat and maximize their demand while GoT was still huge. A hopeful sign of things is that they seemed to have badly misjudged doing that and it might fully come back to bite them in the ass beyond just this.
Darth Wedgius wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:41 pm I've heard Rogue One was a pretty good movie. Then comes Solo where they changed directors after a lot of filming had completed, a trilogy where they apparently didn't have a coherent storyline...

I don't know if KK is screwing up repeatedly or if Disney is interfering, but maybe they should concentrate on solo films (no pun intended) and move to trilogies when they're up to it.
It was too mindful of being a prequel. I found the ending eye rolling how they effectively sucked out all speculation and mystery about the lead up to the beginning of ANH, like Vader acting like he just got wind up Leia's ship nearby and got his Star Destroyer within interception distance when the movie shows he was in the thick of the plot from the start.

The worst it is painting the whole operation as them pushing it against Rebel opposition and forcing the leadership to back them once involved rather than this being the biggest scheme the Rebel's have pulled off that has finally set the Empire off on the path to open war.

Beyond that it felt off somehow, especially in hyping their martyrdom. Felt more like a fan made film than an actually SW film too, though not exactly like that.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Beastro wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:35 am
The worst it is painting the whole operation as them pushing it against Rebel opposition and forcing the leadership to back them once involved rather than this being the biggest scheme the Rebel's have pulled off that has finally set the Empire off on the path to open war.
Rebellion high command has always been portrayed as comically incompetent, since at least Return of the Jedi. They have to be when almost every protagonist is a Rogue Operative Who Gets Things Done with improvised plans after the official plan fails.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Draco Dracul
Captain

Post by Draco Dracul »

Mecha82 wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:51 pm Ah, another click bait title from clearspira. So no, that SW Trilogy isn't dead like he claims. Like it or not it's going to happen.
I mean two hacks that managed to fumble the single biggest TV show of the last decade at the 3 yard not being on multiple Star Wars movies seems like a reason to break out the champagne.
Darth Wedgius wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:41 pm I've heard Rogue One was a pretty good movie.
It's not. It has a great third act, but it's got weak characters and the first two thirds of the movie are a hot mess.
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

I like Rogue One a lot, I have definitely gushed more than a little about some of the more visceral shots in that movie, there's a lot of good individual moments for the cast, and K2 is great. But until Scariff aside from some good performances selling aspects of the characters there's just not enough character beats and dialog to support as large of a cast as they have. We can appreciate the dynamics and personalities of the characters only to the extent that we recognize their archetypes is how I'd put it.

It's a lot of fun, but yeah, I can't say anyone calling it mediocre or not caring for it are wrong.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Hell, even if I'm a Legends die-hard, I will say this. Those ten seconds of Vader carnage more than justify the movie, and it's the scene I most rewatch. It's like that recent vid those kids made where they gave us a prequels type fight between Vader and Obi-Wan in A New Hope.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

There’s better Vader in the new canon (the Rebels episode Twilight of the Apprentice, most of Gillen’s Darth Vader comic run) but it’s a good spectacle.

I more gravitate to that shot of the AT-AT staring down the heroes, the use of the ram ships on the space battle, and how the powered down setting on the Death Star is visualized. It sells in a way the main movies can’t the sheer terror of the Empire for someone who doesn’t have the Force on their side.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Is that the comic with that pointless woman treated as an obsessive stalker fangirl stereotype? I dunno, while it's consistent to Vader's character, I just... don't like the concept. Seems very... eh.

Well, ram ships is something new that makes it distinct from Legends, so count me among that.
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

Ah, nope, that was the Dark Visions limited (#3 specifically). The run I’m thinking of is Darth Vader Vol. 1, the first ~25 issues after the new comics started.