KK says the trilogy format is no more from here on

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
clearspira
Overlord

Re: KK says the trilogy format is no more from here on

Post by clearspira »

ProfessorDetective wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:27 am I don't even like SW, but whenever I hear people saying that Disney's run with it has 'failed', I always wonder when being highly profitable and popular started counting as a 'failure'.

Same with the MCU and Doctor Who Series 11. How are any of these 'failures'?
There is "profitable" and then the there is "what a mega Corp used to making ALL the money thinks is profitable." I guarantee you that this Star Wars trilogy has failed in the minds of at least a few at Disney.

I have never heard any one say that MCU is a failure. If anything, it is this generation's Star Wars.

Dr Who s11 is a failure in that it is average. Average scores, average scripts, average cultural impact. Whatever the sex change hoped to achieve, it hasn't.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Sir Will wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:07 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:00 pm https://uk.ign.com/articles/2019/12/17/disney-ceo-bob-iger-says-future-star-wars-trilogies-are-not-being-ruled-out

Just in: Man in charge of Disney says nothing is for certain.
She's going to be gone when he contract expires. They'll hope to lump the ST with her and move on.
I really hope for her sake that they won't. I feel bad for her because of all toxic fanboys already attacking her over petty childish reasons.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Mecha82 wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:10 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:00 pm https://uk.ign.com/articles/2019/12/17/disney-ceo-bob-iger-says-future-star-wars-trilogies-are-not-being-ruled-out

She's going to be gone when he contract expires. They'll hope to lump the ST with her and move on.
I really hope for her sake that they won't. I feel bad for her because of all toxic fanboys already attacking her over petty childish reasons.
People who dislike her decisions = Toxic fanboys
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Well I'm curious what she has in store. She'll have no excuses this time around.
..What mirror universe?
Sir Will
Officer

Post by Sir Will »

clearspira wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:39 pm
Mecha82 wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:10 pm

People who dislike her decisions = Toxic fanboys
Seriously. No, she screwed up. She tried to build a trilogy with no plan and 3 different teams working on it (originally, obviously JJ came back instead to finish). That doesn't work. Among other problems.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Sure she screwed up in some extend but that's no reason to go after her like those toxic fanboys do while trying to justify that disgusting behavior and pretending like problem is not in them. It was same with PT. Both Ahmed Johnson and Jake Lloyd suffered from that when George Lucas was to blame.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

clearspira wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:16 am
ProfessorDetective wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:27 am I don't even like SW, but whenever I hear people saying that Disney's run with it has 'failed', I always wonder when being highly profitable and popular started counting as a 'failure'.

Same with the MCU and Doctor Who Series 11. How are any of these 'failures'?
There is "profitable" and then the there is "what a mega Corp used to making ALL the money thinks is profitable." I guarantee you that this Star Wars trilogy has failed in the minds of at least a few at Disney.

I have never heard any one say that MCU is a failure. If anything, it is this generation's Star Wars.

Dr Who s11 is a failure in that it is average. Average scores, average scripts, average cultural impact. Whatever the sex change hoped to achieve, it hasn't.
Haven't you heard? Black Panther? Captain Marvel? Endgame? All failed MISERABLY! That three billion+ they made collectively was just Disney buying the seats themselves to pad the box office take. The rave reviews were from Disney bribing the press. All of the vocal fans? Planted actors. All to fuel the leftist Illuminati master plan to... show that non-whites and women can star in movies that make money?

Seriously, there are more conspiracies surrounding Disney's ticket sales then Kennedy & Nixon put together.

Also, Series 11's ratings in the UK were the show's highest since Series 4. so either the novelty was enough or they did SOMETHING right.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Mecha82 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:32 pm
PapaPalpatine wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:09 pm Into exile she must go, failed she has.
You must be joking right. I mean no one in they right mind would say something so stupid with straight face.
I would. She is the one who basically managed the who Sequel Trilogy from the start. She was the one who signed off on RJ doing his own thing for The Last Jedi. She was the one who signed off on Rey and basically the only thing of substance to her is being the grand daughter of Palpatine.

A Trilogy does work especially one that is planned to be one of there was an outline of where part 1 leads into 2 and how 3 concludes what 1 and 2 laid out.

Rise of Skywalker was hamstrung on how to end the Trilogy where The Last Jedi mucked it all up. Perhaps better writing could have fixed Rise of Skywalker or something.

So we are at that point where Rise of Skywalker could end up making far less than the other two. Will still make money, but not as much as it could if the whole Trilogy was guided better.

So yes KK failed.
I got nothing to say here.
bronnt
Officer

Post by bronnt »

The opening weekend box office shrank from TFA to TLJ, and shrank even more from TLJ to TRoS. Solo had some enormous production costs due to its various problems and barely earned a profit. It's not like Marvel where they were cranking out 3+ movies a year and they were all blockbusters.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

bronnt wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:47 am
The opening weekend box office shrank from TFA to TLJ, and shrank even more from TLJ to TRoS. Solo had some enormous production costs due to its various problems and barely earned a profit. It's not like Marvel where they were cranking out 3+ movies a year and they were all blockbusters.
Nothing is like Marvel.

Star Wars might have lost it's magic to an extent, but it's by no means dead or anything. I think the main purpose of this trilogy was to set new ground post Skywalker saga.
..What mirror universe?