Was Bane charismatic in Dark Knight Rises?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Scififan
Officer

Re: Was Bane charismatic in Dark Knight Rises?

Post by Scififan »

I remember when my wife and I saw this movie at the theater and she turned to me about half way and ask if I had any idea what this movie was about.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Scififan wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:37 am I remember when my wife and I saw this movie at the theater and she turned to me about half way and ask if I had any idea what this movie was about.
*muffled voice* It is Gotham's reckoning!
Power laces... alright.
Jonathan101
Captain

Post by Jonathan101 »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:05 am
That's very interesting what you talk about regarding McCarthy because it's true that movies are much more processed candy then real life often. Aesthetically sweet, but essentially so for the sake of conveying to the audience. I really do think Bane presents himself as the real deal. I was a fan of Hardy for this period of his bulking, so it's quite a spectacle, crafted in Nolan's cinematic tone nicely. In terms of McCarthy charisma though, I mostly have in mind anti-communist mindset that would subsist among general public, but that might be misguided as I'm not brushed up on it as a ethos in time. Really though I thought all that was granted to his name was just because he was the General of the big war. That's what I'm saying Bane missed. He didn't capture the heart of society or anything, and there's never a Hans or Peter Gruber moment where they're really revealed as conmen, but just henchmen I guess.

Really, Hardy could have just cupped his balls the whole stadium scene and it'd be badass.
I think you're confusing Senator Joseph McCarthy with General Douglas MacArthur.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Sure, Bane was charismatic in-universe. He led a local revolution, somewhat like France's. But that was just a way to help destroy Gotham before he nuked it. And I think the goal of destroying Gotham was to torture Bruce Wayne by making him watch. And I think the goal probably Talia's more than Bane's, driven by a desire for revenge for the defeat and death of her father.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Jonathan101 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:55 pm
That's very interesting what you talk about regarding McCarthy because it's true that movies are much more processed candy then real life often. Aesthetically sweet, but essentially so for the sake of conveying to the audience. I really do think Bane presents himself as the real deal. I was a fan of Hardy for this period of his bulking, so it's quite a spectacle, crafted in Nolan's cinematic tone nicely. In terms of McCarthy charisma though, I mostly have in mind anti-communist mindset that would subsist among general public, but that might be misguided as I'm not brushed up on it as a ethos in time. Really though I thought all that was granted to his name was just because he was the General of the big war. That's what I'm saying Bane missed. He didn't capture the heart of society or anything, and there's never a Hans or Peter Gruber moment where they're really revealed as conmen, but just henchmen I guess.

Really, Hardy could have just cupped his balls the whole stadium scene and it'd be badass.
I think you're confusing Senator Joseph McCarthy with General Douglas MacArthur.
Aw well shitburgers. Thankfully it's not an error surplanting my point, and the few sentences I read on this Joe McCarthy's wiki tends to serve my point.
Power laces... alright.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

The overall plot twist doesn't really change anything. Disgracing Harvey Dent and Jim Gordon and Batman to show that Harvey Dent was the bad guy and Batman was actually the good guy. I would assume that everybody is expected to just be in dismay, not change their stance to pro-Batman. But this exposure doesn't mean anything to the people that are being bullied in a hostile takeover anyway or the nation who sees a terrorist plain and simple. Why he's doing it is just a detail at this point because he is not fooling ANYONE with this free Gotham shtick.
Power laces... alright.
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

Jonathan101 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:03 pm I wouldn't say it's a Fascist "allegory"- I just think that Bane, personally, is a crypto-Fascist (sort of) spouting rhetoric he doesn't believe to further his true aims.

But "allegory" is too strong, since the movie didn't really make that clear and I'm just filling in the blanks in my own mind. The actual intended allegory was to "A Tale of Two Cities" by Charles Dickens, after all.

You seem to be arguing though that life under Bane wasn't all THAT bad, and is comparable to what we are going through right now, except for Scarecrow sending people to their deaths. In that case, you might have missed the part where Bane set all of the criminals of Gotham loose, hundreds of police officers are being kept prisoner, people are being pulled out of their homes by angry mobs, the mayor and his staff have been murdered, bridges have been blown up, and...oh yes, there is a nuclear bomb that might go off at any moment.

Apart from ALL THAT though, I guess, not terribly draconian.
Those I know that like parts of the movie like the kangaroo courts precisely because it reminds them of things like the French, Russian and Chinese Revolutions and they point to it as a lovely example of what commies and the radicals they loath are like.

Funny how people see different things that are ultimately the same.
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:05 pm
Jonathan101 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:55 pm

Aw well shitburgers. Thankfully it's not an error surplanting my point, and the few sentences I read on this Joe McCarthy's wiki tends to serve my point.
It's ok. It's easy to mix up two of America's most infamous, in your face, Show Boating Mcs.
Scififan wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:37 am I remember when my wife and I saw this movie at the theater and she turned to me about half way and ask if I had any idea what this movie was about.
That's not the worst of it, imo.

Once the back breaking starts the fairy-tale-esqueness side of it comes out, where suddenly biology doesn't matter in order to prove a point.
Jonathan101
Captain

Post by Jonathan101 »

The problem with the French Revolution stuff isn't that it wasn't interesting, it's that it was a bit out of place in a Batman movie, and also it was ultimately all rhetoric that Bane was hiding behind so it didn't really amount to much (except, perhaps, a rather dodgy aesop about poor people being manipulated against the rich by demagogues).

Basically, one of the problems with the movie is that it is playing around with ideas that are out-of-place, and it isn't really exploring them all the way either.

Which makes sense, since behind-the-scenes there were creative differences over how the story should go- the studio wanted the Riddler, Goyer wanted Two-Face to still be alive, and Nolan wasn't sure if he even wanted to come back until he read the first draft screenplay his brother penned, which was inspired by "A Tale of Two Cities".

I think that saying Bane isn't charismatic is the wrong way to put it, or taking things too far, but I do think it's kind of out of place and not really explained properly, mostly because they aren't really making a Batman film so much as a film with Batman in it.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Beastro wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:01 pm It's ok. It's easy to mix up two of America's most infamous, in your face, Show Boating Mcs.
First I thought you were making fun of me. Then I finished reading the sentence and thought "that's not so bad."
Power laces... alright.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Jonathan101 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:00 amI think that saying Bane isn't charismatic is the wrong way to put it, or taking things too far, but I do think it's kind of out of place and not really explained properly, mostly because they aren't really making a Batman film so much as a film with Batman in it.
Power laces... alright.