Tory Trek

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Re: Tory Trek

Post by Thebestoftherest »

unknownsample wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:35 pm
Artabax wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:55 pm Tory Trek

Steve Shives posted a video
What do Conservatives like about Star Trek?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNNWWdsEYGg

I will start with what “conservatives” hate about Trek, the fact that “catholic” Trekkers, those who Got the Memo TM call us “conservatives” at all.

Classic Trek was about Equality, about Liberty and Justice for all, about MLK's dream that a man be judged by the quality of his character NOT the colour of his skin.

Social Justice Trek is all about judging by the colour of his skin. SJW is all about the Oppression Olympics TM. Blacks outrank whites, Gays outrank straights, Wammyn outrank men. Trans outrank cis. Muslims outrank everybody in the whole Universe.

And best of all, if anybody objects to this Caste System, then the catholics call us “Alt-Right”. I remember DS9, a planet with a Caste System cannot join the Fed. Now, that is the Zeroth Directive of the EU in SPAAACE.
Sir this is a Wendy's
Got nothing to add just like this.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Artabax wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:25 pm No Palestinians???
Adam insists that Cultural Marxism don't exist, therefore Bill Gates don't exist.
Are Palestinians a cultural construct like Male and Female?
*sweating poker face*
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

GreyICE wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:27 pm I mean there's a hare's breath of difference between Islam and Christianity (it's literally just one more prophet)
If you said that about Protestants, Catholics and Eastern Orthodox, you'd be right with regard to the other branches of Christianity (Arians, Nestorians, Gnosticism), but another religion entirely like Islam?

Maybe if you want to peek at the syncretic elements of early Islam, but there's plenty.

The very nature of God in Islam is different from the Judeo-Christian perspective in that God is completely arbitrary. He does anything He wants and there's no limitations to his actions. Theoretically, in Judaism and Christianity, that is true too but that ignores the fact that God enters into Covenants with the Hebrews and then the followers of Christ: He makes promises which restrain His actions with regard to them which is something antithetical in Islam.

And this isn't even touching on the differences between Sunni and Shiites, especially with how far off many Shiite branches can get.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

"Judeo-Christian" isn't a thing. Just ask a Jewish person. There's Christianity, there's Judaism, and there's the three Abrahamic faiths of Judaism, Christianty, and Islam.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:41 am "Judeo-Christian" isn't a thing. Just ask a Jewish person. There's Christianity, there's Judaism, and there's the three Abrahamic faiths of Judaism, Christianty, and Islam.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messianic_Judaism#Modern-day_Messianic_Judaism_movement,_1960s_onwards
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
CaptainCalvinCat
Officer

Post by CaptainCalvinCat »

Artabax wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:55 pm
Social Justice Trek is all about judging by the colour of his skin. SJW is all about the Oppression Olympics TM. Blacks outrank whites, Gays outrank straights, Wammyn outrank men. Trans outrank cis. Muslims outrank everybody in the whole Universe.
Erm, no, it's not?
A) there is no such thing as "Social Justice Trek" and B) no one is judging anyone, because they're white, straight, cis-men - these persons are judged, because they are terrible people.

Faux-Lorca is not judged, because he's a white dude, he's judged, because he's a butcher of millions and tried to kill our heroes.
Captain Baldy - the one, with the nano-probes inside him (no, not Jean Luc, the other one...) isn't judged, because he is a dude, but because he committed terrible things and tried to kill our heroes.

Faux Georgieou committed terrible things, I agree and she is judged by Michael - very strongly. Michael doesn't say "Hey, you were a butcher of millions, but - who cares, you're a woman, now let's have a tea-party" - no, Michael looks at Georgiu with the same amount of digust, as she looked at Lorca, when he was revealed to be a bad guy. And I'm sure, if Lorca wouldn't have had the unfortunate meeting with the business end of a sword, he would've been an Anti-hero, as well, just as Faux-Phillipa is.

Artabax wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:55 pm
And best of all, if anybody objects to this Caste System, then the catholics call us “Alt-Right”. I remember DS9, a planet with a Caste System cannot join the Fed. Now, that is the Zeroth Directive of the EU in SPAAACE.
Well, I can only speak for myself here - I would'nt call you "Alt-Right" because you'd "object to a caste-system", I'd call you alt-right if you're still thinking, that there is something as "White supremacy". then I'd not only call you "Alt-Right", but a frakking idiot.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Madner Kami wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:53 am
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:41 am "Judeo-Christian" isn't a thing. Just ask a Jewish person. There's Christianity, there's Judaism, and there's the three Abrahamic faiths of Judaism, Christianty, and Islam.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messianic_Judaism#Modern-day_Messianic_Judaism_movement,_1960s_onwards
That's one syncretic sub-sect. The vast majority of Jewish People really hate the term "judeo-Christian" as it erases the long, long history of anti-semitic persecution by Christian institutions.
Hero_Of_Shadows
Officer

Post by Hero_Of_Shadows »

Wouldn't the opposite of "heretic" be "orthodox" ?

Also "catholic" means universal.

I must admit recently some of the fans of ST have been projecting a consistent message "if you claim to like ST then you must also like this particular political party from the USA" which to me means that fans who don't like that political party from the USA yet do like ST must have an interesting (at least tom me) perspective on ST as a piece of media.
Zargon
Officer

Post by Zargon »

CaptainCalvinCat wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:33 pm
A) there is no such thing as "Social Justice Trek" and B) no one is judging anyone, because they're white, straight, cis-men - these persons are judged, because they are terrible people.
Watch Star Trek Discovery or Picard to see Social Justice Trek in all it's Woke glory.

Of course the bad characters are terrible as they are white normal men.

Here is a simple question: Think any Star Trek Woke show would ever have a gay bad villain character? Humm...so why not? If a gay character is just like any other character(aka a straight male character) then there should be no reason they can't be either a good or bad character, right....

How about a goofy gay character....like a Neelix type character. You know one scene his is smacking lips with a guy and then next he dumps all the anti matter...yuck yuck yuck.

How about a black criminal, like say Malcom Mudd, who sells his pretty girls to lonely space folks for a night.
CaptainCalvinCat
Officer

Post by CaptainCalvinCat »

Oh, I watched Star Trek Discovery, I watched Star Trek Picard. These characters aren't terrible, because they're "white normal men" (this ridiculous notion, oh my frakking god), I could even say "they are not 'white, normal men', because they're terrible persons. "White, normal men" don't have the tendency to be terrible persons. Normal =/= terrible.

A guy like Lorca is not "normal" (the norm).
Normal people don't tend to groom young, impressionable children into their spouses, as Mirror-Lorca did with Mirror-Burnham. Plus, once you've thought about the fact, that Lorca is from the famous mirror-universe, where everyone is at least bi-sexual, you can answer the question, if a "Star Trek Woke show" (sic) would ever have a gay villain character.

Sure, the villain in a play always believes, that HE is doing the right thing and the other ones are too stupid or to blinded to see the truth, but that's them sugarcoating their own terrible deeds to themselves, because deep down they know, what they've done.