Jodie Whittaker steps down as Dr Who

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
BBally81
Officer

Re: Jodie Whittaker steps down as Dr Who

Post by BBally81 »

The issue isn't Jodie Whittaker, it's Chris Chibnell, he's a terrible showrunner.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

BBally81 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:58 pm The issue isn't Jodie Whittaker, it's Chris Chibnell, he's a terrible showrunner.
Yeah but let's be honest both of the former show runners would be better on individual episodes than series as a whole
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

That's true. We all were so damn excited when Moffat took the helm because we thought every episode would be as good as Blink...
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:40 am That's true. We all were so damn excited when Moffat took the helm because we thought every episode would be as good as Blink...
Hell bent anyone?
BBally81
Officer

Post by BBally81 »

Doctor Who's canon has been messed around by showrunners for years so this isn't new both in the show and beyond as DAVIS a well known Whotuber put it in his Broke Canon videos:

youtu.be/V7sE0DyTWYU
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

BBally81 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:58 pm The issue isn't Jodie Whittaker, it's Chris Chibnell, he's a terrible showrunner.
So she was the symptom rather than the cause, whatever, still seven years too late to start fixing the damage. It started with the trainwreck Moffat made of the Capaldi era, whatever happens to the show next needs to find a way to retcon all of that out of canon [and preferably have someone at the BBC have a seventies style tape wiping party].
Thebestoftherest
Captain

CrypticMirror wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:49 pm
So she was the symptom rather than the cause, whatever, still seven years too late to start fixing the damage. It started with the trainwreck Moffat made of the Capaldi era, whatever happens to the show next needs to find a way to retcon all of that out of canon [and preferably have someone at the BBC have a seventies style tape wiping party].
No that the exact opposite of what it needs, sometimes the best thing to do with bad stories ideas is to just ignore them. If you spend time and money and resources on retconnoing them you might just regurgitate bad ideas and scare off new commers.and makes continuity harder. It is best just to try and focus on the here and now.
MerelyAFan
Officer

Post by MerelyAFan »

Controversy about canon is not the core problem. In fact I think the arguments about stuff like the Timeless Children and such are happening largely because there's not much else to really talk about. DW feels like it lacks an identity, various story concepts don't feel like they're taken to their full potential, and tell don't show has because a recurrent problem with a lot of the big character moments. Rarely is it awful, but it doesn't seem to rise above just okay lot of time either.
Al-1701
Officer

Post by Al-1701 »

I know people are talking a lot about this, but it's standard and expected. A regeneration of the Doctor lasts three seasons and then it's time to move to the next. I think Revolution of the Daleks helped digest what's happened somewhat. I don't think it's the show shattering reveal some act like (Timelords have never been shining examples morality, so I could see them do this), so they can continue onward with this. It might even open up some opportunities.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:14 pm
CrypticMirror wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:49 pm
No that the exact opposite of what it needs, sometimes the best thing to do with bad stories ideas is to just ignore them. If you spend time and money and resources on retconnoing them you might just regurgitate bad ideas and scare off new commers.and makes continuity harder. It is best just to try and focus on the here and now.
They are not getting me back as a fan then. Unless whatever comes next involves a fair bit of gravedancing on what they've been doing since the Matt Smith regen then they've alienated me as a former fan. I want the current era deliberately excised, not smoothed over. This is not the time for healing and unity, etc and so on.