Brie Larson Reportedly Talking With Lucasfilm About Mara Jade Role In Star Wars

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: Brie Larson Reportedly Talking With Lucasfilm About Mara Jade Role In Star Wars

Post by Yukaphile »

You know, I'm probably gonna regret asking this, but... why does SJW... woke... stuff... go hand in hand with bad writing, continuity breakdown, and unoriginal ideas? To me, the two seem mutually exclusive, and it's just the modern state of America now means you're gonna get both smashed together. I don't really dislike liberal ideas. I've said before, I think Dax is a good trans or LGBT allegory, despite that clearspira didn't see it (boo!). That's actually a good concept and idea and character. All that'd change today is she'd be banging more women, except DS9 low-key implied she did, way up in Season 7. I don't mind more inclusive attempts. I just think with poor writing, politics is all you have left. I've also said that before.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Re: Brie Larson Reportedly Talking With Lucasfilm About Mara Jade Role In Star Wars

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Easy people are looking for them to be connected so are finding the connection.
Captain Crimson
Captain

Post by Captain Crimson »

Yukaphile wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:12 am You know, I'm probably gonna regret asking this,
So you're the infamous Yukaphile! Welcome, hello. :)

TBH, I'd never thought I'd get a chance to ever talk to you. Everybody here had written you off.
Yukaphile wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:12 am but... why does SJW... woke... stuff... go hand in hand with bad writing, continuity breakdown, and unoriginal ideas? To me, the two seem mutually exclusive, and it's just the modern state of America now means you're gonna get both smashed together.
An example, the recent Cruella movie. They try to give her a sympathetic backstory, like Batman, only rather than crime, it's Dalmatians that did it to her. It's a feminist perspective to try to make a female character more human, more relatable, and that a female villain isn't really a villain. Not now, not ever.
Yukaphile wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:12 am I don't really dislike liberal ideas. I've said before, I think Dax is a good trans or LGBT allegory, despite that clearspira didn't see it (boo!). That's actually a good concept and idea and character.
Sorry, I don't see it either. Having knowledge of male or female isn't enough to make you trans, IMO.
Yukaphile wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:12 am All that'd change today is she'd be banging more women, except DS9 low-key implied she did, way up in Season 7.
I don't recall that offhand, so you'd run into the same issue they recently had with Seven - the time to make a character bi or gay was thirty years ago. It's too late now given the continuity expansion.
Yukaphile wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:12 am I don't mind more inclusive attempts. I just think with poor writing, politics is all you have left. I've also said that before.
You do have a point.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Yup, knew I was gonna regret it. I... didn't even know they'd made a Cruella movie. You mean DeVille? Correct me if I'm wrong, but... wasn't she skinning puppies for fur coats? That would make her a right-winger, as most aligned left of center protest animal cruelty, as that plainly is. Seems more like they're trying to humanize a right-wing character. Is that so bad? How does that make it SJW in any way, shape, or form? I don't know, I think if this film did badly, it's just because trying to humanize an over-the-top cartoon villain is a tricky business and nobody wanted that. That would be my guess, I can't say anything more since I don't watch modern movies. And boo! You don't see it either. Well, fiddle dee doo to you!
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Yukaphile wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:12 am You know, I'm probably gonna regret asking this, but... why does SJW... woke... stuff... go hand in hand with bad writing, continuity breakdown, and unoriginal ideas? To me, the two seem mutually exclusive, and it's just the modern state of America now means you're gonna get both smashed together. I don't really dislike liberal ideas. I've said before, I think Dax is a good trans or LGBT allegory, despite that clearspira didn't see it (boo!). That's actually a good concept and idea and character. All that'd change today is she'd be banging more women, except DS9 low-key implied she did, way up in Season 7. I don't mind more inclusive attempts. I just think with poor writing, politics is all you have left. I've also said that before.
Let me ask you this, when you buy a car, do you start to notice how many cars are like yours, especially the color?

You look for something in particular once you are aware of it, you start looking for it elsewhere.
I got nothing to say here.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

I don't know if this is going to happen, nor do I care much about Mara Jade, but if it does happen it will annoy the shit out of people who really annoy me, so that's something.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:18 am I don't know if this is going to happen, nor do I care much about Mara Jade, but if it does happen it will annoy the shit out of people who really annoy me, so that's something.
so it will be annoying squared.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:18 am I don't know if this is going to happen, nor do I care much about Mara Jade, but if it does happen it will annoy the shit out of people who really annoy me, so that's something.
I kinda do care about Mara Jade but the way Disney screwed up Luke, I doubt she will be the same character as she was in the books. Like I said, she might as well be a different character with red hair.

Oh and heaven forbid that Mara Jade is not a redhead! Many fans will be butt hurt over that!

If she is done as well as the female characters done in The Mando then I will be fine with it.

Actually having the Emperor's ex Hand who is on her own would be interesting in the environment the Mando is set in.
I got nothing to say here.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

I wonder if they would just make her an inquistor.
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

Yukaphile wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:12 am You know, I'm probably gonna regret asking this, but... why does SJW... woke... stuff... go hand in hand with bad writing, continuity breakdown, and unoriginal ideas? To me, the two seem mutually exclusive, and it's just the modern state of America now means you're gonna get both smashed together. I don't really dislike liberal ideas. I've said before, I think Dax is a good trans or LGBT allegory, despite that clearspira didn't see it (boo!). That's actually a good concept and idea and character. All that'd change today is she'd be banging more women, except DS9 low-key implied she did, way up in Season 7. I don't mind more inclusive attempts. I just think with poor writing, politics is all you have left. I've also said that before.
I think it come down to hammering nails. Alien was a good movie and Ripley could have been any gender. Ripley being female meant she simply was the protagonist and it was a good story.
You want to announce your female superior character she begins by coming off as a Mary Sue. Because they want to put the character on a pedestal to make a point. And this can be done for gender or skin color or preferred partners.