I hear a Babylon 5 reboot is in the works

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
hammerofglass
Captain

Re: I hear a Babylon 5 reboot is in the works

Post by hammerofglass »

I mean all of the changes you're freaking out about. It's all stuff you made up as a hypothetical and then assumed to be true.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Because the corporate vultures these days are more predictable than ever. What's shocking is despite that, how much they get away with it.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

How would you know? You said you don't watch any of the new stuff.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

There are a few things that would almost certainly be better if it was made today. Like how Susan and Talia were clearly together for a while (JMS confirmed this was the intent) but they had to dance around it to get it past the censors.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I've said before, the past was a perfect blend of diversity besides the LGBT stuff. And yet we're getting that, but what does it matter if it's nonstop repeats and if the new entertainment landscape is just so damned hostile to traditional consumers? Know who my heroes were as a kid? Kenan & Kel, I loved that show so much. A white kid who loved a black family sitcom, who'd have thought it? But you can't have that today. The modern Twitter keyboard warriors are exactly the same breed of puritanical numb nuts who complained so loudly, it shifted the direction of the Batman movie franchise in the early 1990s, going more towards family-friendly camp with Batman Forever to the point they killed it and had to reset. The only difference is that was right-wing evangelicals. Now it's young pot-smoking progressive nuts who love social media. What is the difference? None. In both cases, they knew the system enough to be able to weaponize it. None. Because I hate puritanism regardless of who are the ones preaching it, and these days female sexuality seems to be a thing of the past. Mmmm... seems almost like shunning femininity, like the 1950s conservatives, because the loudest voices being catered to are anti-sexy Feminists who probably think male desire is inherently built on rape. Why should I care about such a toxic environment for creativity? There is none. Just nonstop rehashes to earn the top studio executives big bucks, and the Internet helps them consolidate control and spin the narrative better. They WANT to make enough green to be able to transition into being lobbyists and politicians and lawyers, to better preserve their riches. THAT is how the game is played.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

JMS was happily involved in online communities back in the 1990s. Do you see the same thing today? No. Dissenters just get called "trolls" on Twitter instead of just taking on merit that they are debating in good faith. BECAUSE BOTH LEFT AND RIGHT LIVE IN TWO SEPARATE REALITIES NOW. There will be no respect embedded into the reboot or fan interactions. We've just gotten so much angrier and hateful and vicious and disappointed since the 1990s, and what changed? Bush. Fuckin' Bush, I hate that man so much, single-handedly tanked 1990s culture. But I don't appreciate the left escalating the stakes out of sheer hate for the right, because you KNOW the right is gonna return the favor. And tbh, Jerry Doyle reminds me of my mixed friend, he's Irish/Japanese, a right libertarian, and he may not be a hardcore Republican, but he's had nothing but contempt for SJWs and the left-wing mindset. Half-Asian, who'd have thought it? So I don't buy Jerry Doyle would be on quote "your side" just because you hate the GOP that much in your own parallel reality.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Maybe come back when you've come down/sobered up?

If you're sober I must inform you that you're manic right now.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I am sober.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

I must inform you that you're manic right now.

Sorry, Mechanicus dad joke.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

hammerofglass wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:29 pm I must inform you that you're manic right now.

Sorry, Mechanicus dad joke.
How's that a dad joke? A dad joke would be: "Hi Sober, I'm Dad."
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu