Ghostbusters (2016) Reboot: Does Anyone Actually Remember This?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Re: Ghostbusters (2016) Reboot: Does Anyone Actually Remember This?

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Let's be honest, there are people who hated the movie for reason that aren't valid (sexism), but that doesn't make any of the other criticism goes away. There are flaws in the movie and to a lot of people those flaws were too much to enjoy.
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

Nealithi wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:04 pm But the line I emboldened (made bold?) I think sums things up. Too many people were pulling the 'if you didn't like this movie you hate women' comment. And that is infuriating. Let's go with, I think it was your comment, the Fast and the Furious movies. I saw the first and thought it was alright. The second felt weak and I felt no need to see them further. It lost appeal to me. But I was never accused of being a car hater because I didn't like them. Does that make sense?
Yeah, this always the same shit I heard back then too, "People kept accusing me of being sexist".

I don't believe it.

I am sure there were people who said that, but to claim some kind of persecution or being labeled as a sexist for disliking the movie. No. That is horseshit.

If you are bitching about the movie long enough for people to say, "you must dislike this movie for deeper reasons than its quality, I think you are sexist" then you are just the sort of person who I am identifying detractors of "F&F" as, "just stop talking about it then, stop giving your opinion."
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Umm isn't this tread only a few days old?
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

Rocketboy1313 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:17 pm
Nealithi wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:04 pm But the line I emboldened (made bold?) I think sums things up. Too many people were pulling the 'if you didn't like this movie you hate women' comment. And that is infuriating. Let's go with, I think it was your comment, the Fast and the Furious movies. I saw the first and thought it was alright. The second felt weak and I felt no need to see them further. It lost appeal to me. But I was never accused of being a car hater because I didn't like them. Does that make sense?
Yeah, this always the same shit I heard back then too, "People kept accusing me of being sexist".

I don't believe it.

I am sure there were people who said that, but to claim some kind of persecution or being labeled as a sexist for disliking the movie. No. That is horseshit.

If you are bitching about the movie long enough for people to say, "you must dislike this movie for deeper reasons than its quality, I think you are sexist" then you are just the sort of person who I am identifying detractors of "F&F" as, "just stop talking about it then, stop giving your opinion."
Two issues with this. First there was never a qualifier about quality. It was if you do not like this movie, you are sexist. This is like handing me a plate of liver and saying if I don't eat it and love it I hate my mother. . . Wait what?
The second point I put your comment in bold. I am not sure I understand. I thought you had commented earlier that you disliked F&F?
But there are two arguments to be made with it. One I am not being accused of anything if I do dislike those movies. And I am not being asked my opinion on them either. Your comment would be to never answer when asked for my opinion?

Oh and since you brought them up. Captain Marvel, I have not seen it. And I heard some pretty bad things so choose not to go out of my way to see it. Wonder Woman. . . The first one. . . Actually I have heard good things about that. My relatives keep bugging me for Christmas ideas for me, I might put it on a wish list.
That is as far as my opinion goes since I have seen neither.
Reminds me I kinda wanted to see Shazam too.
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:29 pm Umm isn't this tread only a few days old?
:lol: Technically yes. What Rocketboy and I are . . I want to say arguing, but I mean the original context of the word not the current version. Maybe debating works? Anyway, what we are discussing is that there was incredible bad blood about this movie. People taking sides and drawing some pretty nasty conclusions.
There are a number of movies that seem to draw in hate lately. And people trying to make you feel guilty for liking or disliking them. And Rocketboy is right, the negativity really brings you down. I know the feeling.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

That is true, there are works of art hated for bad reason, which is why we need to be careful not to let reasons outside of the work decided for us.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

I might be wrong here but Ghostbusters was the first big movie where it was the studio and the director that said more or less that if you don't like this movie you hate women. Being called man babies or incels, living in the basement etc.
I got nothing to say here.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Yeah, and considering they are going back to the main continuity it is almost like telling your consumer base to not watch your movie is bad business.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

McAvoy wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:20 pm I might be wrong here but Ghostbusters was the first big movie where it was the studio and the director that said more or less that if you don't like this movie you hate women. Being called man babies or incels, living in the basement etc.
Aliens is one of the best selling, most popular, beloved, famous films of all time. This is my default answer to the argument that men hate strong women.

How about: we dislike YOUR strong women you shitty, talentless hacks?
There. Got that out of my system.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I'm sure everyone understands that the backlash against the movie was more political than outright bigoted, but it's still a matter of a petulant social media demographic that are exhibiting a resemblance of behavior.
Power laces... alright.