Series you want Chuck to review to watch him blow his top

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Madner Kami
Captain

Re: Series you want Chuck to review to watch him blow his top

Post by Madner Kami »

TGLS wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:00 pm I might be the only one, but I don't find Chuck as funny when he's genuinely upset. Like he was with Kannazuki no Miko or the rapey Atlantis episode.
You're not alone with that. I like him too much to enjoy him being tortured. He's not Johnny Knoxville. 😅
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:56 pm Part of me think he would actually just be annoyed and bore by it.
Might be just a matter of him using the original as a comparison. And the bad choice of using slap stick style comedy that you kinda expect to have a laugh track with.

Besides its the only thing I can think of offhand.
I got nothing to say here.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

fair enough
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

Has Chuck ever done Sliders? Particularly those late Season 3 eps that I was never able to make it through.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Durandal_1707 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:30 am Has Chuck ever done Sliders? Particularly those late Season 3 eps that I was never able to make it through.
Loved that series. Well the first two seasons I think.
I got nothing to say here.
thisithis
Officer

Post by thisithis »

Netflix's Arcane, every reviewer that has seen the show always says they are shocked and cry after watching EP 3. The show has become more like a try not to cry after watching EP 3 of Arcane. And I think sfdebris would be no different.
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

McAvoy wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:36 am
Durandal_1707 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:30 am Has Chuck ever done Sliders? Particularly those late Season 3 eps that I was never able to make it through.
Loved that series. Well the first two seasons I think.
Once you get to the third season, though, man. I've never seen a formerly enjoyable series run off the rails as hard as that did.
sayla0079
Captain

Post by sayla0079 »

Just for giggles get him to watch eps from series 1 and series 2 of Space 1999

youtu.be/4SpX8bVEmJo

youtu.be/tsmefY94E_0
Mabus
Captain

Post by Mabus »

Given that almost every episode starting from S3 (though this trend already started in S2) were nothing but shitty ripoffs of more famous films/books/shows (which was done because the producers wanted the series to be sold in syndication apparently), I'm not sure what Chuck could add anything new that wasn't said already. The behind the scenes of the series is something worth looking at, because just like Andromeda, the series was completely butchered by greedy and shitty producers and network execs.

Now for my list:
-Picard S2: Given how Chuck has previously displayed extreme displease (to say the least) with characters suffering from mental problems being mistreated in a story, oh yeah, he'll have a field day with this one.
-Passengers (2016): This one is a good worth looking at, since not only the whole "we can't put back people in stasis" is silly, as the medical robot from the ship could actually do that, though for some reason someone decided a ship of 5000 people should only have one of those, but more significantly the film deviates from the original script massively, which, while it has a darker/bittersweet resolution, it makes more sense in the context of the story, whereas the film just gives us a lame Hollywood "happy" ending.
-Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (2017): Chuck might have to review The Fifth Element first, since I feel that movie captures most of the spirit of the Valerian comics better. Still, there is so much shit in this film Chuck would probably go mad from trying to make sense of the plot.
-After Earth (2013): 'Nuff said.
-Jupiter Ascending (2015): How did the Wachowskis get from The Matrix to this?
-The Predator (2018): Aliens want autism! Now with actual (sexual) predators!
-Terminator: Dark Fate (2019): What if we do the same story as T1 and T2, only without any soul or fun.
-Space Truckers (1996): I think this one would make Chuck more confused than angry.
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

Mabus wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:37 pm-Jupiter Ascending (2015): How did the Wachowskis get from The Matrix to this?
I suspect you're not the intended audience which is very much teen girls, as at being a power fantasy for them it worked out great. It's a rare film in that respect and so I don't think it's worth getting mad at. Sure it is very, very dumb, and it very much shares that in common to when teen boys get pandered to in such a fashion.