Star Trek Picard season 3

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: Star Trek Picard season 3

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Frustration wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:42 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:04 pm You’re characterizing Star Trek in its current state as an edge lord Snyderverse, but Picard is mainly a response to Trumpism
It's both badly written in itself, and a rejection of the utopian ideals that have always been the heart of Star Trek.
The utopian ideals with Captain Kirk setting the example for all of humanity. Sorry, but the show has more complex political ramifications as you move forward from one show to the next. New trek is no different.
..What mirror universe?
Lazerlike42
Officer

Post by Lazerlike42 »

Mabus wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:49 pm
-Riker is now separated from Deanna? Why?
Because in modern media families must ALWAYS be broken, spouses must ALWAYS be separated, and all joyful or happy social structures must ALWAYS be disillusioned.

I get the desire to do this sometimes. 50+ years ago you almost never saw anyone divorce and the standard "American dream" was always the norm. Moving through the 70s and 80s and the years that followed media featured some characters, families, etc. where things weren't perfect or where people got divorces or where things didn't always work out as hoped.

Yet in the last decade or so it's swung fully the other way where more or less every character, family, etc. has to have this happen. Han and Leia not working out is one example of many. Maybe it's just a part of the overall fact that "Hollywood" doesn't seem to know how to be creative these days - they just copy one another and tell the same story over and over - or maybe it's something deeper. I don't know. Regardless, it would almost be shocking these days to see a project like this and have it so that the marriage/life/whatever HAS worked out.

This is why I hate plotlines like what they did with How to Train Your Dragon 3 or Toy Story 4 or Wreck-It Ralph 2 where in the end everyone has to say goodbye people have to close the door on the way things have been for everyone forever. It's not that these kinds of stories can't be good or meaningful or that there isn't truth to the notion that things end and change - heck, that was a major, major aspect of how they wrapped up Deep Space Nine and it worked really well. The problem is just that it feels like the default, the inevitable ONLY way to tell a story these days. Whatever poignancy or meaning that is supposed to be in these stories is always lost to me by the fact that the story is taking that turn just because that's the current thing-to-do.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

I don't think they even are separated, just wanted a few days out of each other's hair. I'm sure we'll get the full story later.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

If they’re separated then I’d think it has more to do with arranging social affairs more in line with the original show. It also gives Riker a justification for going on an expedition while still having a family.

Are they separated? I only remember him mentioning that they were off together somewhere.
..What mirror universe?
m4a2000
Officer

Post by m4a2000 »

Why? Why? Why is Jack his son? WHY?
It's OK to make mistakes as long as you don't make the same ones. If you do then you're not learning.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

m4a2000 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:50 pm Why? Why? Why is Jack his son? WHY?
Aww, my bet was clone of her husband.
m4a2000
Officer

Post by m4a2000 »

hammerofglass wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:18 pm
m4a2000 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:50 pm Why? Why? Why is Jack his son? WHY?
Aww, my bet was clone of her husband.
I was hoping he would be a true son of Jack and Bev à la Bev having the DNA of Jack and using it to get herself pregnant again.

My honest question: Does Picard really need a child?
It's OK to make mistakes as long as you don't make the same ones. If you do then you're not learning.
Al-1701
Officer

Post by Al-1701 »

I called it as soon as he showed up at the end of the first episode. I was just like, "That's Picard's kid." Well, congrats. You're not the last Picard.

Anyway, I'm now officially disappointed they did get Ellen McLain to voice one of the computers. Apparently, at some point, the Dastrum Institute acquired Aperture Science. Just go all the way.

I can't help but think the phaser shotgun was influenced by Halo because it seems like a gun you would find in that universe.

I can't help but laugh at these flying arsenal ships. Sure, they sound impressive. However, firing all those weapons would probably rip the Shrike apart. The ship yeeter is impressive, though.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:51 am The utopian ideals with Captain Kirk setting the example for all of humanity.
YES.

People tend to either exaggerate Kirk's supposed sexual prowess, or ignore it - but it was both far less excessive and far more controversial at the time it aired.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

I'm really wondering why they used the Titan when so much of the plot depends on the ship they're on being an undergunned explorer. Such a pointless retcon.