Star Trek: Section 31 Movie w/Michelle Yeoh Announced

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: Star Trek: Section 31 Movie w/Michelle Yeoh Announced

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

It’s a show rooted in allegory as much as ideology.
..What mirror universe?
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

That *used* to be the case, when they had competent writers. I can't think of any classic Trek writing teams that was perfect, but pre-Voyager they were all great. Voyager was when the show became less about having a vision and a message and became more about making money with a franchise - and I say this in full awareness of all the behind-the-scenes shenanigans with DS9.

"This isn't some deep-space franchise, this station is *about* something!" -- Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Frustration wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:56 pm That *used* to be the case, when they had competent writers. I can't think of any classic Trek writing teams that was perfect, but pre-Voyager they were all great. Voyager was when the show became less about having a vision and a message and became more about making money with a franchise - and I say this in full awareness of all the behind-the-scenes shenanigans with DS9.

"This isn't some deep-space franchise, this station is *about* something!" -- Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Yeah. There is very little actual allegory going on anymore. Again - other than Trump bad if PIC and SNW are anything to go by.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

Yeah, "Trump bad" is a message we're just not seeing enough of. Also, we need more thinly-veiled Holocaust metaphors in our media, it's been nearly five minutes since I last encountered one.

edit to correct - what is it with typos and me lately?
Last edited by Frustration on Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I’ll just agree to disagree with all that.
..What mirror universe?
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

If we could have additional social justice messages in everything, simplified as much as possible so that all those bigots ruining everything with their witchcraft could understand it. That'd be *great*...
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

That's a terrible analogy. I have never met anyone witchy who wasn't so far progressive that "Liberal" is an insult again.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

hammerofglass wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:16 am That's a terrible analogy. I have never met anyone witchy who wasn't so far progressive that "Liberal" is an insult again.
No, it's a great analogy. Puritans believed that any time anything bad happened to them, it was because of witches.

Whenever society doesn't work out the way SJWs want, they blame racists. Not particular racists, or any policies they can point to, but "systemic" racism. It's the witches of the 21st century.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Frustration wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:55 pm
hammerofglass wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:16 am That's a terrible analogy. I have never met anyone witchy who wasn't so far progressive that "Liberal" is an insult again.
No, it's a great analogy. Puritans believed that any time anything bad happened to them, it was because of witches.

Whenever society doesn't work out the way SJWs want, they blame racists. Not particular racists, or any policies they can point to, but "systemic" racism. It's the witches of the 21st century.
You making a conscious choice to not learn what words mean is not in itself an indictment of the concepts they represent.

Actually with the Salem witch hunt being one of the usual middle-school level teaching examples of systemic injustice I suspect you know exactly what it means and were hoping nobody else did.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

People from cultures with a tradition of belief in witchcraft often claim there are undetectable wrongdoers responsible for things not going as desired. It happened in the Soviet Union, with their 'wreckers', it happens all the time in Africa, and it happens in America.

You've done it yourself, in fact.