Lower Decks Season 4

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Re: Lower Decks Season 4

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Heck we know Vulcans can move their katra or one could argue souls in other vessels couldn't they let Tuvox do something similar and then separate him, the body gone but the personality lives.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

clearspira wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:16 pm
CharlesPhipps wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:27 pm
clearspira wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:19 pm Whatever you want to say about Janeway killing Tuvix, she had a legitimate reason for doing so. ''I am 70 years from home, I want my tactical officer and cook back.'' She took a command decision based on what she believed to be in the best interests of her crew. Might be right, might be wrong, but it wasn't just because she felt like it. I could see any of the other main captains taking this decision - heck, we know for a fact that Archer would and he would spit in your face whilst doing so.

But in this episode they are at home. Right next to Starfleet. And not in any danger. No one is going to be killing you. Bad writing for cheap jokes.
Clearspira, did you actually watch the episode or are you making a joke? I'm genuinely not sure and was curious if you could clarify. Because that's literally what Captain Freeman says.
Pointing out bad writing doesn't make something not be bad writing.

''Wow! What an utterly contrived set of circumstances, the sort of thing you would find in a bad movie!''
''I know right!''
*Movie continues exactly the way it was, content that it is self-aware and thus people will now defend it its shittest elements*
We'll take that as a "no", shall we?
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

clearspira wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:16 pm Pointing out bad writing doesn't make something not be bad writing.
I'm not sure how to say this more clearly, but the whole Cerritos plot's setup can basically be summarized as, "Billups and T'Ana are merged into T'Illups like Tuvok and Neelix were merged into Tuvix, because the Voyager museum had the same flower. Freeman looks into how Janeway solved the problem, and thinks it's a bit fucked up that Janeway basically killed Tuvix but concedes that she made the call in the Delta Quadrant, and not in Federation space. She then resolves to fob T'Illups off on scientists (Division 14 or something similar maybe?) who will look into coming up with a magic solution that makes everyone happy. T'Illups also looks into how Janeway solved the problem, and promptly loses it."
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Al-1701
Officer

Post by Al-1701 »

We're entering the fourth season, and people still don't seem to understand that Lower Decks is Trek taking an opportunity to laugh at itself. I'm also convinced the writers watch Chuck's videos.

Also, moopsy.
Last edited by Al-1701 on Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

clearspira wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:16 pm Pointing out bad writing doesn't make something not be bad writing.

''Wow! What an utterly contrived set of circumstances, the sort of thing you would find in a bad movie!''
''I know right!''
*Movie continues exactly the way it was, content that it is self-aware and thus people will now defend it its shittest elements*
Yeah, but they didn't lampshade it. It was their actual plan.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

I loved both these episodes. Mariner remains my favorite character and I absolutely love the two steps forward, one step back nature of her progress.

I think it's a shame that they killed of Ma'ah like that.

Anyone else curious what the deal with this doom probe is?
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:24 am I loved both these episodes. Mariner remains my favorite character and I absolutely love the two steps forward, one step back nature of her progress.

I think it's a shame that they killed of Ma'ah like that.

Anyone else curious what the deal with this doom probe is?
I think the last point, has somethign to do with section 31
m4a2000
Officer

Post by m4a2000 »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:56 pm
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:24 am Anyone else curious what the deal with this doom probe is?
I think the last point, has somethign to do with section 31
Badgy
It's OK to make mistakes as long as you don't make the same ones. If you do then you're not learning.
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

That was great. T'Lyn especially being such a wonderful addition to the group dynamics.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Yeah. I also like that it looks like we're going to see her take turns interacting with the Warp Core Four. (And I'm saying that despite being a T'lyndi shipper).

Overall this episode really nailed it with the comedy. The sketch artist who kept going after the cloud crashed in the middle of their midst was a nice touch.

Also Lancealot is adorable.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville