Invincible s2 (maybe some light comic spoilers?)

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
stryke
Captain

Re: Invincible s2 (maybe some light comic spoilers?)

Post by stryke »

Madner Kami wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:16 pm What happened with her in the comics?

Which one would that have been? Feel free to PM or use:
Reply the first

Okay it's been a long ass time was I was reading the comics as they came out and I never re-read them. What I remember though is she was just a kinda vapid pretty face with no discenable character whatsoever. You got none of the show's bolshiness at all, and then she gets with someone else, the end. It's just a whole lot of nothing to complicate Mark's life while he's in a holding pattern before he can get with Eve.

Reply the second

Shrinking Rae's survival. You don't be that brutal to two characters and then give two of them amazingly unlikely survivals, and Rae's was significantly more nasty even compared to getting shot in the brain. Change from the comics too if I remember right where only Rex survived.

Though take both of those with a grain of salt as this was right about where I was really, really getting annoyed with the comics, and I bailed out entirely.

So far I do think the show is a lot better, and I'm hoping this time I can stick around to find out what happens this time.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

stryke wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:48 pm
Madner Kami wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:16 pm What happened with her in the comics?

Which one would that have been? Feel free to PM or use:
Reply the first
Ah, I see. Thank you. Yes, I agree
stryke wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:48 pmReply the second
Yeah, that crossed my mind as well. That was so odd and utterly unlikely an outcome. (Mark for further thoughts on that issue)

She got quite clearly chewed on and lost tremendous amounts of blood. I just did not expect her to come out of that alive, but then again, I didn't think Kommodo should be just fine after her enlarging herself inside of him either. He's got a healing factor and absurd strength, so supressing her expansion, sure. But not even a broken bone just a second later? Yeahno. That does not compute. They all should've died there, Rex including. And that character quite clearly didn't need that near-death experience to realize what a shitbag he is. His conversation with Eve quite clearly already showed him having become self-aware and being unhappy with himself.

Oh and another thing that bugged me: The spilling of guts. Everyone constantly got their bellies ripped open, spilling their guts, no matter that the actual injury was or should've been. This becomes especially obvious during Kommodo's and Dupli-Kates fight.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

Madner Kami wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:55 pmOh and another thing that bugged me
I suspect that's down to a saving on animation combining with upping the gore thing. Someone pointed it out on reddit and it's hard not to unsee but Kate doesn't impact things in the environment like you think they should when hit by a human body should thrown at that force, they don't even get dented, and instead she just bursts easily each time for more gut gore. It makes her seem like she's super squishy who just breaks apart in two on any impact.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

stryke wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:36 am
Madner Kami wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:55 pmOh and another thing that bugged me
I suspect that's down to a saving on animation combining with upping the gore thing. Someone pointed it out on reddit and it's hard not to unsee but Kate doesn't impact things in the environment like you think they should when hit by a human body should thrown at that force, they don't even get dented, and instead she just bursts easily each time for more gut gore. It makes her seem like she's super squishy who just breaks apart in two on any impact.
My hearcanon it a side effect of the curse.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Can't we just put SPOILERS up and call it day?

Kate I agree. And I am not really spoiling this here. When she splits she seems be like even more fragile than a human. The great thing about human skin is that it's a durable thing when it's hit my not non penetrsting impacts. It will keep all the organs inside. You don't see bad car accidents where people pop like balloons.

This seems like more like The Boys alley, but what if every time she splits in battle her body is so new that it hasn't had a time fully form so her new bodies are like hard jello. Enough to hold everything enough but no close to being durable.
I got nothing to say here.
Nobody700
Captain

Post by Nobody700 »

I rather like season 2. Seeing MAN was best part.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

Yeah, I'd say season 2 ended pretty dang well. We're now officially past where I stopped reading the comics so I'm going to be looking forward to s3 to see where things go from here. I know a few things as I was discussing comics still online as it was coming out so I picked up some stuff from general osmosis but they're things I think that were towards the very end of the run.

Debbie was easily my highlight and she's still such an improvement on what I remember her being like in the comics. I do kind of wish we didn't see her at her absolute lowest as that line when she's a full blown alcoholic in the depths of drunken depression about why did Mark drive her husband away was such a shocker, but I get why they left that out as I can see that being harder to recover from in how we view her as a character.