The Marvels and the death of the M-She-U

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Re: The Marvels and the death of the M-She-U

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Madner Kami wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:09 am "Everyone enjoys it", you say? Your sure you didn't mean to write: "My bubble enjoys The Marvels"?
Your argument seems to be, "Peaches are orange, therefore inflation."

It has had a low opening so far because of the Writers strike. You'd have to be a complete fucking moron to think that's related to the quality of the movie.
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:26 am I think it's gonna win an Oscar!

*gives validating high-five gesture to CharlesPhipps
It's fun. The characters are likable. It wipes the stink off Secret Invasion. I'm not sure what people want more of.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:52 amIt has had a low opening so far because of the Writers strike.
And you accuse me of comparing apples and oranges... Geezus...
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Madner Kami wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:34 am
CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:52 amIt has had a low opening so far because of the Writers strike.
No promo for the movie = poor sales.

What am I missing?
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:59 am
Madner Kami wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:34 am
No promo for the movie = poor sales.

What am I missing?
You're missing the explanation for why the writer's strike is responsible for that.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Madner Kami wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:10 am You're missing the explanation for why the writer's strike is responsible for that.
No, ACTORS strike. My bad, I tend to conflate the two.

They can't promote the movie.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

stryke wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:45 pm Remember when people thought they were being really big and clever by spelling 'Microsoft' with a dollar sign, and thus any legit point they might have had was rendered void as it was that obnoxious? For some reason that sprang to mind reading this thread title.

Also while She Hulk was dire (outside of the great Madisynn/Wong dynamic) the twerking scene wouldn't even hit my top ten of stuff wrong with that show. Poking the bear as inelegently as it did really, so very much really did not help the state of internet discourse, and given how bad a state it was in already, it's almost impressive that it made it even worse.
Yeah the twerking scene didn't even bother me. Pretty much everything else bothered me about that series.
I got nothing to say here.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

It nice when bad faith topic get given the seriousness they deserve, none whatsoever.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:44 am It nice when bad faith topic get given the seriousness they deserve, none whatsoever.
The way I look at it I cringe when a movie or a TV series does something that proves someone like clearspira right. She Hulk is one of those. While at the same role eyes when the bitching happens because two women have a daughter (Doctor Strange) and is considered woke because of that. Or a gay male couple has a scene (Eternal) and that is somehow woke too.

I wonder if Brie Larson didn't make certain remarks during press releases or have awkward interviews with costars that Captain Marvel wouldnt be so hated. Just viewed as a mediocre movie that it really was.
I got nothing to say here.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

To clearspira's credit I've never seen him do the one where it's "woke" because a non-white person had a speaking role or was "unrealistically" presented as having an education.

That reminds me: did Frustration get perma-banned? Thought they'd be back by now.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:44 am It nice when bad faith topic get given the seriousness they deserve, none whatsoever.
That reminds me, a few weeks ago someone posted a bad faith review on the MCU that went on for I think 20 minutes about how the Superhero genre, more spasifcally Marvel, is dead and any Superhero media released will bomb and never see success again... And then Insomniac's Spider-Man 2 came out to critical and financial success being praised by critics and gamers as one of the best games of the year and one of the best superhero games of all time.

He then went on to make a 1 hour video about how SM2 wasn't a success it just happened to be liked by everyone and made a lot of money. It was more convoluted then that but that is what it boiled down to, he said this genre was dead and no one liked it and then just a week later here comes a Superhero game which came out to huge success and he goes on this hour long rant trying to show how he was right by using only negative reviews, how the negative reviews are the "Real" reviews and how even though a lot of people bought the game that doesn't mean they actually played the game.

It was honestly hilarious to see this mental gymnastics in play as you saw him try and justify his position as the right one and as per-usual with these idiots he said that the reason it was bad was because it took a established straight character and made her gay and everyone hated that. Wasn't he surprised when everyone in the comments pointed out that Felicia has been openly bisexual since the mid 90s and that those in the comments also pointed out that they actually bought the game to play it because why would they waste $70 on something if you're not going to play it?

The comments were the real real I went to the video because it was nothing but one long chain of "Are you an idiot?", along with "You always complain about girls kissing are you gay?" and "Of course I bought the game to not play it because just like you, I don't have a life."

Eventually he just straight up deleted his channel and it honestly put a smile on my face that someone so dumb got called out for saying something so stupid. :lol: