The term "Mary Sue" needs to die.

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Re: The term "Mary Sue" needs to die.

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

The proper definition of a Mary Sue inherently can't be used of the Main Character. You can think an MC is too overpowered or too perfect to allow the story to be interesting, but that's still not what Mary Sue means.

Fortunately in the Anime Community we have a term for that, Jesus-Kun, initially coined to describe Kirito of Sword Art Online.
LittleRaven
Captain

Post by LittleRaven »

Antiboyscout wrote:^ someone didn't watch the clone wars tv show
I confess....I'm one of those people. Did that show address how difficult the mind trick is to pull off?
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

I don't care about the EU. All through Lucas films the Mind Trick is presented as the easiest of all things Jedi do, even the simplest levitation seemingly takes more effort.
LittleRaven
Captain

Post by LittleRaven »

The Clone Wars isn't EU.
On April 25, 2014, after a year of ownership by the Walt Disney Company, a StarWars.com press release confirmed that the films of the sequel trilogy would not adhere to the post–Return of the Jedi Expanded Universe,[12] with further comments from LucasBooks Senior Editor Jennifer Heddle confirming that the EU as a whole is no longer considered canon. The EU has been re-termed "Legends," with related publications remaining in print under that banner.

Since then, the only previously published material still considered canon are the six original trilogy/prequel trilogy films, the Star Wars: The Clone Wars television series and film, and the stand-alone Dark Horse Comics arc Star Wars: Darth Maul—Son of Dathomir; which was based on unproduced scripts from The Clone Wars TV series.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

I don't about any corporate decisions, Only the actual films are true Canon, people who take this 'Clone Wars and Rebels are canon" bs seriously are the laughing stock of all Star Wars fans.
Arkle
Officer

Post by Arkle »

MithrandirOlorin wrote:I don't about any corporate decisions, Only the actual films are true Canon, people who take this 'Clone Wars and Rebels are canon" bs seriously are the laughing stock of all Star Wars fans.
Ugh. You know, I was with you right up until the gatekeeping bullshit. I'm sorry, but, no. No one, not you nor I, get to decide what makes a "real Star Wars fan." All it takes to be a Star Wars fan? Liking Star Wars. That's it.
Incorrect Voyager Quotes: http://incorrectvoyagerquotes.tumblr.com/
My Voyager fic, A Fire of Devotion: http://archiveofourown.org/series/404320
---
LittleRaven
Captain

Post by LittleRaven »

So let's review:

What is and isn't canon is determined not by the owner of the IP, but by MithrandirOlorin.

What types of characters can and cannot be termed Mary Sues is determined by MithrandirOlorin.

Who is and isn't an embarrassing Star Wars fan is determined by MithrandirOlorin.

Well, I can't counter logic like that. Peace out.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

I didn't say they aren't real fans. I just said they're a laughing stock.
Arkle
Officer

Post by Arkle »

MithrandirOlorin wrote:I didn't say they aren't real fans. I just said they're a laughing stock.
To you, sure. But last time I checked no one person was appointed the Spokeperson for all of Star Wars fandom.
Incorrect Voyager Quotes: http://incorrectvoyagerquotes.tumblr.com/
My Voyager fic, A Fire of Devotion: http://archiveofourown.org/series/404320
---
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

I'm not claiming to be, Star Wars fans are represented by these idiots and so that's why when others tell me Star Wars fans are idiots, I can't disagree.