How much do you care about canon?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Nobody700
Captain

Re: How much do you care about cannon?

Post by Nobody700 »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 3:10 am Honestly, after a recent post reminded me of the retcons about Spock's family prior to Discovery, I'm a lot less put off by the Michael Burnam adaption scenario. Spock having one full Vulcan sibling and one full human sibling has a kind of balance to it, and after the first ass-pull sibling how much does one more matter?
In a contest of Michael and Sybok... I still prefer Michael. Michael is a person who will not leave my house and everytime I start a convo she HAS to one up me. Sybok will kick me out of my house and blow it up and than he and his cult will make me relive my ultimate pain, say they fixed me, and than kick me in the kidney and steal my money. She is not even close to as annoying as Sybok.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

Yep, if I have one concern about SNW it's the Sybok cameo that they might be setting up for more in s3.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 3:10 am Honestly, after a recent post reminded me of the retcons about Spock's family prior to Discovery, I'm a lot less put off by the Michael Burnam adaption scenario. Spock having one full Vulcan sibling and one full human sibling has a kind of balance to it, and after the first ass-pull sibling how much does one more matter?
And to be fair, Spock did have good reason to talk about neither of them. Though it still doesn't explain where they were when Spock's cat died.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

These are generalisations, there are always exceptions. Anyway...

I expect a work of fiction to be reasonbly consistent with itself and whatever setting it's in. Whether you label that as canon or consistency doesn't really matter. What I really don't like are attempts at dismissing it, or finding excuses to dismiss it, or attacking people who do care about it. IMO that's just a sign of a lazy writer (or lazy fan). "Oh it's fiction anyway" is a really pathetic excuse. How stories unfold within the confines of the world, be it a fictional or real one, is part of their appeal. If you don't like aspects of a particular setting go off and make your own, rather than butcher the existing. If you're just going to change things on a whim then for one thing you undermine your own story (because why shouldn't anyone do the same to you, and whatever restrictions you put up for your own characters are then simply contrived). For another, all those things are what makes the setting you're writing in, so if you're going to throw them away then why are you bothering writing in that setting anyway?

If they've all become too problematic, too much badly conceived baggage, then there's always room for a reboot. But only a bad writer regards the concept as problematic, or looks down on people for caring about it.
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

A performance of the 1812 Overture isn't nearly as cool without them.
Scififan
Officer

Post by Scififan »

No, I don't really care about cannons, they are a lot of work to load and very loud.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I have a lot of fun with speculating on canon consistency, and I’m also concerned somewhat with the end product.

I think it’s fun to see something that is notably loyal to canon, but also though stuff that rationalizes canon inconsistency between two events.
..What mirror universe?
McAvoy
Captain

Re: How much do you care about canon?

Post by McAvoy »

I was watching Steve Shives video on the legacy of Discovery. Of course he goes on a minor tangent at times about fans getting riled up on the look of the Klingons or the look of the bridge.

I always felt the times we saw the TOS bridge whether it was in Ent, DS9 or TNG, it worked because it was only one episode. ENT's two parter was mostly on the NX class in Part 1. So it worked. But to have a new 21st century Trek series entirely based on the look of the 60's without it being tongue in cheek will not work. So I get it, they had to update it.

The Klingons are definitely a situation. Yes this isn't the first time that the Klingons had their look changed. You could argue it was changed twice as the TMP Klingons did differ a hit from ST3 Klingons and past that. But the change was so jarring. I suppose they wanted to make the Klingon look less humans with a big forehead. But imagine if the full blooded Vulcans like Sarek was very green with ridged brows and forehead with a nose and high pointed cheekbones and the ears being far longer and pointed.

Would that have been too far then? Or would it have worked because it's now a reimagining of Star Trek.
I got nothing to say here.
Nobody700
Captain

Post by Nobody700 »

Plus I'll say it, they just look UGLY.

My main problem with Discovery (the ship) is less the tech... and more how BLUE it was. It just got to be so annoying that I felt like I was blinded by it. I never cared much for the tech because, to be honest... the 60's set HAD to be updated. I love the set but it cannot work in a serious show set now. Some of the tech I do... question, like the drones that fix the ship mid battle or the long range holograms, but hey, they aren't what I hate. It's the story.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

I definitely prefer my fiction to be CONSISTANT, if nothing else. If something is firmly established as XYZ, you keep it that way unless you give a good reason for it to be ABC, now. "Magic A is Magic A" and all that.