The Acolyte

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: The Acolyte

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I’ve been in and out of the first episodes but I really like the tone.
Power laces... alright.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

I listened to some of the reviews and some of it I can get behind. More of a narrative issue than anything else really.

Like the prime example of how the twins have the same exact hair style even down to the length. This to me, is borderline nitpicking. But I think is a valid point.

Still a small thing to complain about. So the South Korean actor who had to learn English struggled with dialogue.
I got nothing to say here.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

For a guy who first picked up the language four months before shooting he's doing freaking amazing.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

hammerofglass wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 6:55 am For a guy who first picked up the language four months before shooting he's doing freaking amazing.
Agreed, he's easily the best part of the show so far.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

The 3rd Episode being 100% Flashback reminds me of how some Anime are structured.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Wow, they went ahead and made the Jedi creepy as hell in this. Just dialed the child-stealing cultust vibes up to 11. Having them deny stealing children while in the middle of openly trying to take the girls for indoctrination was a nice touch, really sold the "brainwashed and out of touch with reality" vibe.

Not that the witches' "hey time to do a ritual to permanently declare allegiance to our religion when you're too young to know better and it's all you've ever known" thing is any better. For witches they're very Catholic.

We're definitely going to find out later that the fire Mae started was incidental to the coven's death and the fortress' destruction and that the Jedi knew and lied to Osha about it for years even if they weren't directly responsible as is heavily implied.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Fair although it seems like OSHA choices are between one cult or another.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

hammerofglass wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 6:55 am For a guy who first picked up the language four months before shooting he's doing freaking amazing.
Yeah I agree. I didn't even know that he had to learn English for the part. He is the best part of the show so far.
I got nothing to say here.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

So what does "Killing without a weapon" mean and how does talking someone into committing Suicide not count?
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

MithrandirOlorin wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 2:47 am So what does "Killing without a weapon" mean and how does talking someone into committing Suicide not count?
Because she provided the poison, I think? Not really clear on this either.