Star Trek: Strange new worlds

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Mabus
Captain

Re: Star Trek: Strange new worlds

Post by Mabus »

youtu.be/4jnbi3ycydM
Well, that's a big whoops, given that it happens in the same episode. It's unlikely that Spock exaggerated, since Pike really needed an accurate estimate. So how come not only Spider-Hela was able to contact T'Pring's planet, but also establish a live transmission with T'Pring? Is the planet T'Pring resides on, very close to the Enterprise's location (how convenient)? Does Angel's escape ship have some super-advanced subspace relay that allows instant communication over far distances? Isn't that dangerous, security-wise? The Enterprise could use the information from the relay to track the ship?
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I think people missed that Episode 7 was supposed to be "fun." What was the point? SPACE PIRATES.

Episode 8 is even more silliness for the sake of silly.

As much as I love La'an, they need to permanently replace her with Princess Talia.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Mabus wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:28 pm
youtu.be/4jnbi3ycydM
Well, that's a big whoops, given that it happens in the same episode. It's unlikely that Spock exaggerated, since Pike really needed an accurate estimate. So how come not only Spider-Hela was able to contact T'Pring's planet, but also establish a live transmission with T'Pring? Is the planet T'Pring resides on, very close to the Enterprise's location (how convenient)? Does Angel's escape ship have some super-advanced subspace relay that allows instant communication over far distances? Isn't that dangerous, security-wise? The Enterprise could use the information from the relay to track the ship?
Spock can contact the much-closer Vulcan Prison Planet but not Starfleet.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:43 pm
Mabus wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:28 pm
youtu.be/4jnbi3ycydM
Spock can contact the much-closer Vulcan Prison Planet but not Starfleet.
The prison planet might have more ships, Starfleet only have three at the time of course.
Mabus
Captain

Post by Mabus »

Episode 8:
I don't know what to make of this episode. Star Trek has had similar wacky episodes, be it holodeck malfunction, hallucination, alternate dimension. But usually there's a coherent story in those episodes, here it's just a bunch of stuff happening randomly, giving the illusion of an actual plot. A few issues that affect the episode:

The whole fairy-tale plot is weak, mainly because the audience doesn't know the story, and what is told on screen is more confusing than coherent. There's a reason why previous Trek series (over)used well known public domain stories, since not only is the audience more familiar to those but you don't have to waste minutes of screen time explaining the story to the viewers. If you're making a story within a story, you must make sure the audience understands it quickly and clearly. Also, the "palace sets" are cheap as hell, they didn't even bother to film in an actual castle or mansion, they just added rented plants and flags on the pre-existing sets.

The Rukiya subplot barely lasted 3 episodes, out of which only one actually dealt with dr. M'Benga trying to find a cure for her condition. Instead now she just gets "taken" by the space cloud alien, and then suddenly she ages 20 years, and apparently everything is alright. I suppose the writers were worried that the child actress might grow too fast by the time season 2 is finished. The only good thing that came out of that scene is Olusanmokun's acting with was good, pity he was given so little.

It's an odd cookie, so I'll rate it ?/10, because it feels less like an actual story and more like the director used footage from the actors' Halloween party from last year to make a Star Trek episode.

And as a side note, what's with that bullshit about "only when you're grown up you can write your own stories"? Why shouldn't Rukiya alter the story? Hell, most of the classical fairy tales have been altered over the years, with the Little Red Riding Hood being the most famous example. So what's the deal? Is this Paramount's way of telling people not to write their own Star Trek fanfics? Do the writers think that it's a clever metaphor for M'Benga imagining himself to be the king in the story and saving the girl from the story? I mean, if there's one thing that will develop a kid's imagination is to be encouraged to imagine new things and new stories. I guess being told not to write a better story ending is more of a metaphor for NuTrek in general. xD
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I see it as Doctor M'Benga not being a perfect or very creative father. He's not interested in treasuring the time he has left with his daughter so much as focused desperately on finding a cure. In the end, he has to lose her to save her.

BUt yes, I feel this episode would have benefited from describing the basic of the full story before it began.
Al-1701
Officer

Post by Al-1701 »

I find myself again asking WHY ARE THESE GORN?!
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Al-1701 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:00 am I find myself again asking WHY ARE THESE GORN?!
Because NuTrek. Where continuity can do one.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Al-1701 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:00 am I find myself again asking WHY ARE THESE GORN?!
Because as we see with Xindi, REPTILE MEN ARE ABHORRENT.

The ridiculousness of the Gorn being immune to everything and death eggs, though, had me rolling my eyes.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:06 pm
Because as we see with Xindi, REPTILE MEN ARE ABHORRENT.

The ridiculousness of the Gorn being immune to everything and death eggs, though, had me rolling my eyes.
No improvised mortars on hand?
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.