Star Trek Picard season 3

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
CMWaters
Officer

Re: Star Trek Picard season 3

Post by CMWaters »

An interesting viewpoint (yes, IGN, but this isn't a video game).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8AbLQOedOo
"You're only given a little spark of madness. And if you lose that, you're nothing."
Robin Williams
1978 HBO Special
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

m4a2000 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:06 pm
hammerofglass wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:57 pm
Al-1701 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:19 pm That got me thinking. The Changeling on the Titan replaced the transporter technician. Perhaps they did that on every ship.
It would have been easier to do it in the big software update that added Fleet Mode. That database probably gets legitimate updates all the time, nobody would have questioned it.
Any tech worth their weight would test any update first before rolling it out to the whole system. Also we see how much engineers in Trek like to tinker. A simple compare of original and new code would be enough for someone to start asking questions. it makes since for the changelings to replace the transporter tech on that alone.
I doubt there's more than a couple dozen Changelings involved total is the problem.

Actually what was the original code? Did they just write over something that keeps the body from attacking it's own nervous system and that's what caused Picard's symptoms?
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Mabus
Captain

Post by Mabus »

I know NuTrek will not change this, but the fact that the only reason the story can even exist is because Starfleet security is dogshit, removes any real tension from the story.
Discovery did it multiple times, Picard did it in S1 in the dumbest way possible (ah yes, clearly the chief of Starfleet security can just vanish from her office to secretly go to solar systems that don't exist without appearing suspicious), SNW also had multiple scenes where the security was lacking or non-existent. Like, is this even a functional organization? In the OldTrek, Starfleet security wasn't always the best, but at least it was there present, one way or another.
Because at this rate, I can just "predict" the plot for future Trek stories by simply saying before each episode that the Federation security will be conveniently missing or failing, for the story to happen. That's just lazy storytelling.
m4a2000
Officer

Post by m4a2000 »

I think I can live with that ending.
It's OK to make mistakes as long as you don't make the same ones. If you do then you're not learning.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

With all the emphasis on being older with grown children this season kind of weird they didn't mention that Worf has an adult son that they all knew as a child.
CMWaters
Officer

Post by CMWaters »

"You're only given a little spark of madness. And if you lose that, you're nothing."
Robin Williams
1978 HBO Special
Forthecubs4
Redshirt

Post by Forthecubs4 »

I was hooked by the first few episodes of the season. However, the latter half of the season has been boring. The Borg didnt feel like a threat. In fact their lackeys- Vadic and the Shrike were a more credible. The last episode was just soppy schlock. I wish I had more to discuss. :(
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

Soppy schlock sure, but after so many decades, the cast all together like that, dang it man, but that worked so very well for me.

"Why do I sense enjoyment?" and then showing Data living his best life was just the best.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Worf just straight-up admitting he uses a sword purely because swords are fun was great too.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

All Good Things was the greatest finale to any Trek show ever and a much better send off for the TNG crew. All I saw was a bunch of geriatrics trying to convince me that this diabetic tonal shift was in any way earned. I believe TVTropes calls this an ''Esoteric Happy Ending.'' Please don't think about all of the people who died over the last three seasons to earn this happy ending, folks!
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.