Star Trek Picard season 3

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Re: Star Trek Picard season 3

Post by CharlesPhipps »

clearspira wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:30 pm All Good Things was the greatest finale to any Trek show ever and a much better send off for the TNG crew. All I saw was a bunch of geriatrics trying to convince me that this diabetic tonal shift was in any way earned. I believe TVTropes calls this an ''Esoteric Happy Ending.'' Please don't think about all of the people who died over the last three seasons to earn this happy ending, folks!
I feel like it was 80% nostalgia boner and felt like William Shatner's novels. "Well, now it's time for the ORIGINAL heroes to show these Zoomers how it's done!"
sayla0079
Captain

Post by sayla0079 »

Was still a better send-off for TNG than Nemesis was.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

sayla0079 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:58 am Was still a better send-off for TNG than Nemesis was.
*insert joke*
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

sayla0079 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:58 am Was still a better send-off for TNG than Nemesis was.
I'll give it that. I'm unsure as to whether they knew at the time that ''Nemesis'' was going to be the final movie or not. They probably didn't think that NEM and ENT was going to demolish the franchise for a decade with only the 2009 reboot to show for it until DIS - but listening to interviews with the likes of Marina Sirtis I get the impression that the cast was tired and gone. Spiner especially didn't think that an ageing Data was believable - and I will admit that the way they got around this in PIC season 3 was effective in a ''Bicentennial Man'' kind of way.

Anyway, what i'm getting at is, NEM is a terrible send off if they knew that this was to be their last adventure and an understandable one if they didn't. With hindsight, they could have set up the 2009 Reboot and PIC so effing well with just one more movie. They could have done an ''Undiscovered Country'' kind of thing with Riker on the Titan in place of Sulu on the Excelsior and the Romulans in place of the Klingons. We could have had Picard use his newfound relationship with the Romulans and his friendship with Old Spock which would have given the former a more personal stake leading into PIC. We could have given some background to Nero's faction... ah well. I'm just spitballing here but I wish I lived in that parallel universe.

Killing off Data was a mistake either way imo.
CMWaters
Officer

Post by CMWaters »

clearspira wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:40 pm Killing off Data was a mistake either way imo.
Odd thing is that before Nemesis' release, I knew one person that INSISTED that it was gonna be Worf who was going to die, given they thought at the time they did all they could with the character via both TNG and DS9. Plus, Klingon ultimate desire.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. And if you lose that, you're nothing."
Robin Williams
1978 HBO Special
sayla0079
Captain

Post by sayla0079 »

CMWaters wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 2:13 pm
clearspira wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:40 pm Killing off Data was a mistake either way imo.
Odd thing is that before Nemesis' release, I knew one person that INSISTED that it was gonna be Worf who was going to die, given they thought at the time they did all they could with the character via both TNG and DS9. Plus, Klingon ultimate desire.
Honestly I thought it was going to be Deanna due to the similarities in Nemesis to the alternate future timeline in All good things.
Mabus
Captain

Post by Mabus »

Well, finally this pile of shit is over.
Was season 3 an improvement over the previous ones? Yes, 100%, but again, even a flaming turd is better than the first two season of Picard.
The ending was ridiculous, they pretty much went full Star Wars with the whole Borg Super Cube and blow up the main reactor, sorry, the transmitter. I guess Matalas managed to one-up JJ Abrams. And then we get a repeat of the poker scene from All Good Things, because they're not done with the memberberries and the copy-pasting.

I honestly don't get the point of this series. Yes, I know it was made only to fill up Paramount's streaming service(s) with lots of new content, quality be damned, but still, which Trek story does it complete? Because the whole Picard-Borg conflict was pretty much resolved in First Contact, Picard's "love life" was mostly irrelevant to his character, since he was always written as a not family man, and he already had a family in "Inner Light".

I don't see what the Picard character gained from this series. If anything, it subtracted most of the development he gained in his TNG episodes.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Mabus wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:32 pm Well, finally this pile of shit is over.
Was season 3 an improvement over the previous ones? Yes, 100%, but again, even a flaming turd is better than the first two season of Picard.
The ending was ridiculous, they pretty much went full Star Wars with the whole Borg Super Cube and blow up the main reactor, sorry, the transmitter. I guess Matalas managed to one-up JJ Abrams. And then we get a repeat of the poker scene from All Good Things, because they're not done with the memberberries and the copy-pasting.

I honestly don't get the point of this series. Yes, I know it was made only to fill up Paramount's streaming service(s) with lots of new content, quality be damned, but still, which Trek story does it complete? Because the whole Picard-Borg conflict was pretty much resolved in First Contact, Picard's "love life" was mostly irrelevant to his character, since he was always written as a not family man, and he already had a family in "Inner Light".

I don't see what the Picard character gained from this series. If anything, it subtracted most of the development he gained in his TNG episodes.
Patrick Stewart wanted to insult Trump and Brexit. That's from his own lips BTW.

He also only agreed to come back if PIC was nothing like TNG - the implication being that destroying Picard's legacy was part of the deal. And lets be honest, that was already present in the movies. Everyone who is watching closely has noted just how different TNG Picard is to Movie Picard. I'm not sure Stewart ever liked his most famous role. He didn't want to be a Shakespeare quoting, Earl Grey sipping diplomat - he wanted to be a sexed up action star with a dune buggy.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

clearspira wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:53 pm
Mabus wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:32 pm Well, finally this pile of shit is over.

Patrick Stewart wanted to insult Trump and Brexit. That's from his own lips BTW.

He also only agreed to come back if PIC was nothing like TNG - the implication being that destroying Picard's legacy was part of the deal. And lets be honest, that was already present in the movies. Everyone who is watching closely has noted just how different TNG Picard is to Movie Picard. I'm not sure Stewart ever liked his most famous role. He didn't want to be a Shakespeare quoting, Earl Grey sipping diplomat - he wanted to be a sexed up action star with a dune buggy.
I'm more of the mind that he didn't want the show to be a shameless grab of all the original characters instead of plainly not having anything to do with TNG. The reception of the first two seasons may have a bit of influence for all I know, but the season comes off as more of a love letter to TNG and the Trek Lore. It's meta like SpiderMan No Way Home is, happening to have a concise enough plot to avoid being redundantly pretentious in line with whatever else is coming out. It's a simple plot with smoothly inserted emotional moments and decorated with fan service on top of it like syrup.
..What mirror universe?
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

It's a pile of crap and a canon-breaking shitshow, that desperately tries to appeal to an audience it originally despised. You can try sugar-coating it like the show-runners did, by appealing to nostalgia, but it's still a pile of crap underneath. And Stewart is at the heart of it. Each and every TNG-movie has been a Picard-movie at the heart of it and the progressively more actiony-natures of the movies are down to Stewart being bored with diplomat-Picard, originally culminating in the dune buggy and now this.

#PicardNeverLeftTheNexus
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox