Star Trek: Discovery - spoilery thoughts?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Madner Kami
Captain

Re: Star Trek: Discovery - thoughts?

Post by Madner Kami »

technobabbler wrote:
LittleRaven wrote:Oh god. Tyler really is going to be Voq, isn't he?.
Seemingly almost every serialized HAS to have a shock twist. Cuz drama as we're highly invested in the Michael - Ash relationship that was developed in all of 10 minutes of on-screen dialogue.

There's another fan-theory plot twist prediction that I've seen on Reddit that I think is going to wind up true as well. If you also read reddit, you'll probably know what I'm hinting at.
I don't and I don't. Thus, please. Elaborate.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
technobabbler
Officer

Post by technobabbler »

Madner Kami wrote:
technobabbler wrote:I don't and I don't. Thus, please. Elaborate.
There's a fan prediction that Discovery will end up in "a" (maybe 'the') mirror universe. as supposedly Jonathan Frakes (who's purportedly directing a future episode) made a statement that a fan construed as a hint that a mirror universe episode was due in 2018.

And given the mid-season cliffhanger, I wonder if Discovery ultimately will have an arc like Stargate: Universe or Sliders or Quantum Leap. Discovery is the "Flying Dutchman" roaming the universe and never making it home until maybe the last episode.
Morgaine
Officer

Post by Morgaine »

It would be an interesting direction to take the series, would get my attention far more than this tepid war arc.
It would also explain all of the tech, aesthetic and character discrepancies because you could have a myriad of universes that look exactly like TOS which you could justify in a modern series because they'd be one-off appearances.

Hell, they could do a crossover with Star Trek Continues and come across the copy Defiant!
Yes I know that will never happen.
Daedalusx007
Redshirt

Post by Daedalusx007 »

At this point I’m pretty sure that I’m watching this show not because it’s good but because I love Star Trek.

It’s a case of unrealized potential at its finest.

I find the characters weak. I could get things like the “new” Klingons if they didn’t bore me. Micheal Burnham isn’t interesting so much as she is pointlessly confusing. Why is she Sarek’s ward? Worf as a ward makes sense. Diplomatic relations with the Klingons being often tricky. But surely Sarek could have sent her to live with humans.

Saru, as a character, lost all credibility with me in the pilot when he proclaimed that his entire race is bred to be prey. At that point he just acts like a walking hamburger going forward.

Lorca and Cornwall’s plot is idiotic. Imagine what would happen if Neyachev and Picard had such a relationship. Even in the mildly military Starfleet I have to imagine there are rules against fraternization.

Tyler as Voq seems likely and boring.

And the mess just goes on.
Axios.
Morgaine
Officer

Post by Morgaine »

Daedalusx007 wrote:I find the characters weak. I could get things like the “new” Klingons if they didn’t bore me. Micheal Burnham isn’t interesting so much as she is pointlessly confusing. Why is she Sarek’s ward? Worf as a ward makes sense. Diplomatic relations with the Klingons being often tricky. But surely Sarek could have sent her to live with humans.
The episode with Sarek and the "logic extremists" (don't get me started on that) says that Burnham is pretty much part of Sarek's project to create logical beings out of humans. Quite why is never explained.
They also imply Spock is part of this, so in their effort to tie everything together like a bad fanfic, they've essentially made Spock the end result of a weird social experiment.
GandALF
Officer

Post by GandALF »

Morgaine wrote: The episode with Sarek and the "logic extremists" (don't get me started on that)
I think nerds on the internet are definitive proof that "logic extremists" are a very real thing. Besides there's already Valeris who Spock has to remind that logic is only the beginning of wisdom.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Morgaine wrote:
Daedalusx007 wrote:I find the characters weak. I could get things like the “new” Klingons if they didn’t bore me. Micheal Burnham isn’t interesting so much as she is pointlessly confusing. Why is she Sarek’s ward? Worf as a ward makes sense. Diplomatic relations with the Klingons being often tricky. But surely Sarek could have sent her to live with humans.
The episode with Sarek and the "logic extremists" (don't get me started on that) says that Burnham is pretty much part of Sarek's project to create logical beings out of humans. Quite why is never explained.
They also imply Spock is part of this, so in their effort to tie everything together like a bad fanfic, they've essentially made Spock the end result of a weird social experiment.
Social experiment my ass. Sarek is a sexual deviant who's into what is technically bestiality. So either his overarching zoophilia entices him to have Burnham around or he's just waiting for her booty to get old enough.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Morgaine
Officer

Post by Morgaine »

GandALF wrote:
Morgaine wrote: The episode with Sarek and the "logic extremists" (don't get me started on that)
I think nerds on the internet are definitive proof that "logic extremists" are a very real thing.
You'll have to forgive me if I don't remember the last time an internet nerd suicide bombed a bus in the name of logic.
Besides there's already Valeris who Spock has to remind that logic is only the beginning of wisdom.
I'm not sure what that has to do with anything.
The point is not that Vulcans wouldn't have extremists, it's that someone calling themselves a "logic extremist" would not be a Jihadi and blow themselves up because - stay with me here - that's illogical!
Not only have you wasted your own life, you have not guaranteed that the target is in fact dead. Nor does a random explosion in deep space actually send any kind of message.

And the most important part... extremists and... actual Jihadis desire the spread of their ideals.
In other words, "logic extremists" should welcome Sarek's attempts to culturally assimilate humans. Instead they oppose it because they're space racists - which is fine as a plot point. But then don't call them "logic extremists". Racism isn't logical.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Morgaine wrote:Racism isn't logical.
Hm I disagree. Human-on-Human-racism is dumb, obviously. So is Vulkan-on-Vulkan-racism. But Vulkan on Human? They are stronger than we are, live longer and have more capable brains, even limited telepathy. Racism would actually be logical, because they are better than we are. So are we to Pakleds.
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Morgaine
Officer

Post by Morgaine »

Madner Kami wrote:
Morgaine wrote:Racism isn't logical.
Hm I disagree. Human-on-Human-racism is dumb, obviously. So is Vulkan-on-Vulkan-racism. But Vulkan on Human? They are stronger than we are, live longer and have more capable brains, even limited telepathy. Racism would actually be logical, because they are better than we are. So are we to Pakleds.
So what would they have to fear from Sarek uplifting a human or two to the ways of logic?