Star Trek Picard season 3

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: Star Trek Picard season 3

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

clearspira wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:32 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:57 pm
clearspira wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:21 am Hey didn't Picard die at some point and they gave him an artificial body? The pay off on that was worth it huh.
There wasn’t any follow up I was expecting from that based on how they described it. Soong states that they made him indistinguishable for all intents and purposes.
But what was the point though?
To let Data die as he wished and give Picard a second chance for feeling sorry about Data for all those years. It was also just a conceptual reconciliation considering the ambiguity between life between synthetic and organic humanoids. Like, they were able to transfer his spirit/katra in the same manner as Spock I believe, which was technologically significant by itself, but also put it in a body that doesn't cheat, as an icing on the cake. It's a deus ex machina for Picard.
Power laces... alright.
Mabus
Captain

Post by Mabus »

Star Trek: Picard is like racism: neither should exist.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

Unlike racism, we don't have to deal with it anyway.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Maybe so but I’m glad we got a good quality season to watch.
Power laces... alright.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:41 am Maybe so but I’m glad we got a good quality season to watch.
I will say this. If we had had PIC season 3 instead of DISCO season 1 then the Fandom Menace wouldn't have had a leg to stand on. SNW season 1, same notation.

This is what we wanted. A follow on that seems as if it respects fans and isnt trying to be a whole new show. Star Trek "We love Micheal" did so much harm to this franchise. If STD was a TV show this franchise would have died a second time I firmly believe that. Only streaming money kept that going.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

[url]
clearspira wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 7:10 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:41 am Maybe so but I’m glad we got a good quality season to watch.
I will say this. If we had had PIC season 3 instead of DISCO season 1 then the Fandom Menace wouldn't have had a leg to stand on. SNW season 1, same notation.

This is what we wanted. A follow on that seems as if it respects fans and isnt trying to be a whole new show. Star Trek "We love Micheal" did so much harm to this franchise. If STD was a TV show this franchise would have died a second time I firmly believe that. Only streaming money kept that going.
I think it’s the writing that gives the critics score a high guard. It’s meaningful writing in terms of conflict, and it takes things in a new direction.

Edit : shoot I got cut off.
Last edited by BridgeConsoleMasher on Wed May 03, 2023 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Power laces... alright.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

The same sort of shenanigans destroyed the Stargate franchise. It could easily have destroyed Star Trek.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

By terms of fandom, making it up as you go along tends to lose momentum despite the critic score.
Power laces... alright.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

I'm still amazed that shows don't work out at least the outline of story arcs after Babylon 5. At the time, I thought the show would revolutionize TV science fiction forever.

It didn't.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

I think the success of The Island and the Battlestar Galactica reboot convinced them that they didn't have to and could just bluff their way through by lying about having a plan.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.