Star Trek Picard season 3

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: Star Trek Picard season 3

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Frustration wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:59 pm I'm still amazed that shows don't work out at least the outline of story arcs after Babylon 5. At the time, I thought the show would revolutionize TV science fiction forever.

It didn't.
What did it do that ds9 didn’t?
Power laces... alright.
Mabus
Captain

Post by Mabus »

clearspira wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 7:10 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:41 am Maybe so but I’m glad we got a good quality season to watch.
I will say this. If we had had PIC season 3 instead of DISCO season 1 then the Fandom Menace wouldn't have had a leg to stand on. SNW season 1, same notation.

This is what we wanted. A follow on that seems as if it respects fans and isnt trying to be a whole new show. Star Trek "We love Micheal" did so much harm to this franchise. If STD was a TV show this franchise would have died a second time I firmly believe that. Only streaming money kept that going.
Yeah, it would have been an alright start, I'm sure we would have gotten some dumb stuff, but at least it would have been an OK start for a new Trek series.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I mean, I think Season 3 of Picard wasn't very good.

It's nothing but fanservice. A gigantic Coca Cola of empty calories and fun.

But it doesn't have a candle to Season 1 that at least tried to DO something.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

So was Spiderman No Way Home though.
Power laces... alright.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 3:06 am So was Spiderman No Way Home though.
Notably my least favorite of the films. They reversed all of the things that made MCU Spider-Man distinct from "classic" Spiderman.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 1:48 am I mean, I think Season 3 of Picard wasn't very good.

It's nothing but fanservice. A gigantic Coca Cola of empty calories and fun.

But it doesn't have a candle to Season 1 that at least tried to DO something.
Its like Chuck's description of ENT season 4: it was OK. But that is a 100% improvement on what we had before.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Fanservice aside, that voiceover by Chekov was pretty cool.
Power laces... alright.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 7:24 pm What did it do that ds9 didn’t?
Have a long-term arc and contingency plans if that arc became impossible due to actor changes and so forth.

DS9 had great drama, but terrible planning.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

To be fair, they worked against people who felt the Dominion War should be a two parter.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

The more you seriously analyse Babylon 5, the more you see how DS9 was the inferior copy. Not saying DS9 is bad of course.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.