Star Trek Picard season 3

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: Star Trek Picard season 3

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 9:57 pm To be fair, they worked against people who felt the Dominion War should be a two parter.
Haha!

Also I still wouldn’t call year of hell an alternate reality episode.
..What mirror universe? ;/
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

clearspira wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:32 pm The more you seriously analyse Babylon 5, the more you see how DS9 was the inferior copy. Not saying DS9 is bad of course.
I think when it comes to planning for a overall series arc, prep work on characters and all that of course B5 is better than DS9. If I recall JMS started on it years before it finally got picked up. DS9 just didn't know what they were doing outside the basic premise. They still had to figure out

It could have been far far worse. DS9 was left alone while the main focus was on the final two seasons of TNG, Generations and creating Voyager. Majority of their attention was on that.
I got nothing to say here.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

B5 had a lot of fantastic ideas and storytelling as well as characters.

It also had a huge number of shit episodes too.

Not that DS9 didn't but I think they had a more consistent "fun" element.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 1:23 am B5 had a lot of fantastic ideas and storytelling as well as characters.

Anything with Fabio Telepath was a shit episode. I hate that character, hate him with a passion.
I got nothing to say here.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

McAvoy wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 3:27 am
CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 1:23 am B5 had a lot of fantastic ideas and storytelling as well as characters.

Anything with Fabio Telepath was a shit episode. I hate that character, hate him with a passion.
Aren't you supposed to hate him? He's a supremacist cult leader.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

hammerofglass wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 9:33 am
There's something about Byron that just pisses off the fandom something fierce. He's not even a love to hate villain like Bester (who fans love), he's just someone that grates like nails on a chalkboard. The wooden acting, the smug superiority, and the bland portrayal of a political firebrand mean that the mostly pro-telepath audience just find him a crashing bore. Plus, I suspect for the teenagers among the boy fandom, plenty were like, "And this is Lyta's boyfriend? You've got to be kidding me."
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:29 am
There's something about Byron that just pisses off the fandom something fierce. He's not even a love to hate villain like Bester (who fans love), he's just someone that grates like nails on a chalkboard. The wooden acting, the smug superiority, and the bland portrayal of a political firebrand mean that the mostly pro-telepath audience just find him a crashing bore. Plus, I suspect for the teenagers among the boy fandom, plenty were like, "And this is Lyta's boyfriend? You've got to be kidding me."
Half remember him honestly, last two watches I skipped season five entirely.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Sorry, but I think the worst character in B5 was Sinclair. Don't get me wrong, now I know about his tragic mental health problems of course he has my sympathy. But the problem is, I didn't know about it THEN. All I knew was that compared to Sheridan, Picard and Sisko; he was wooden at best and didn't seem to be working at worst. And crucially nor did his co-stars and thus he wasn't inspiring their abilities either. Jerry Doyle (Garibaldi) famously hated the man to the point that he refused to be seen with him when Sinclair returned for that one-off special.

Like I say, its sad. It wasn't his fault. But that's what I think. As much as I think season 1 of B5 is lacklustre though, it is easily better than every Star Trek season 1 apart from TOS.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

I thought he was a perfectly good portrayal of someone dealing with long-term trauma and a position of authority he neither wanted nor was technically qualified for.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:29 am
I seem to have pretty much forgetten him entirely. I've never re-watched B5 since it's original run, other than Chuck's reviews. A lot sticks in the mind well (some for the wrong reasons, since Grey 17 is Missing is one that I remember better than most), some, little to no recollection of.