Star Trek Picard season 3

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
McAvoy
Captain

Re: Star Trek Picard season 3

Post by McAvoy »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:29 am
hammerofglass wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 9:33 am
Aren't you supposed to hate him? He's a supremacist cult leader.
There's something about Byron that just pisses off the fandom something fierce. He's not even a love to hate villain like Bester (who fans love), he's just someone that grates like nails on a chalkboard. The wooden acting, the smug superiority, and the bland portrayal of a political firebrand mean that the mostly pro-telepath audience just find him a crashing bore. Plus, I suspect for the teenagers among the boy fandom, plenty were like, "And this is Lyta's boyfriend? You've got to be kidding me."
Yep. It's the only true blemish on B5 overall.
I got nothing to say here.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

clearspira wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 5:13 pm Sorry, but I think the worst character in B5 was Sinclair. Don't get me wrong, now I know about his tragic mental health problems of course he has my sympathy. But the problem is, I didn't know about it THEN. All I knew was that compared to Sheridan, Picard and Sisko; he was wooden at best and didn't seem to be working at worst. And crucially nor did his co-stars and thus he wasn't inspiring their abilities either. Jerry Doyle (Garibaldi) famously hated the man to the point that he refused to be seen with him when Sinclair returned for that one-off special.

Like I say, its sad. It wasn't his fault. But that's what I think. As much as I think season 1 of B5 is lacklustre though, it is easily better than every Star Trek season 1 apart from TOS.
I can understand that, but for me Sinclair never annoyed me to no end.
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

I barely made it through Season 1 the first time. Took multiple times giving up and picking it back up much later. Sinclair came across to me like someone doing a William Shatner impersonation without the charisma.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Durandal_1707 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 8:27 pm I barely made it through Season 1 the first time. Took multiple times giving up and picking it back up much later. Sinclair came across to me like someone doing a William Shatner impersonation without the charisma.
The German dub offers a more energetic delivery, albeit still appropriatly subdued.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Durandal_1707 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 8:27 pm I barely made it through Season 1 the first time. Took multiple times giving up and picking it back up much later. Sinclair came across to me like someone doing a William Shatner impersonation without the charisma.
For me I think I may have seen The Gathering and one episode when it aired and the rest on DVD when it came out in Season 1.

I watched seasons 3-5 each week and maybe missed an episode here and there. I had to wait months before I got the satisfaction of Byron's smug ass dying.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Just re: Picard, I note that I have a fond interest in mythos development, almost in spite of other stuff. That being said, I liked what they did using the tng drama. There mostly was nothing explicit in an expression Al sense about Picard and Beverly, at least as the show went on, and I still liked the manor in which everything just kind of happened off screen.
..What mirror universe? ;/
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 1:14 pm Just re: Picard, I note that I have a fond interest in mythos development, almost in spite of other stuff. That being said, I liked what they did using the tng drama. There mostly was nothing explicit in an expression Al sense about Picard and Beverly, at least as the show went on, and I still liked the manor in which everything just kind of happened off screen.
I'll say this much about the Picard and Berverly relationship: the writers suprised me. Its normally the ''Hollywood'' way to pair up characters with even a hint of ST after a while. Got to wonder in-universe what is taking them so long though. In one episode of TNG they read each other's minds. They KNOW that they want to bone each other, and its been, like, 40 years since Jack Crusher's death? Now that the ''I am your superior officer'' excuse is gone and any implication that Picard is Beverly's rebound is gone, what's taking them so long? You've already died an alone old man once Picard, maybe don't a second time?
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

clearspira wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 10:43 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 1:14 pm Just re: Picard, I note that I have a fond interest in mythos development, almost in spite of other stuff. That being said, I liked what they did using the tng drama. There mostly was nothing explicit in an expression Al sense about Picard and Beverly, at least as the show went on, and I still liked the manor in which everything just kind of happened off screen.
I'll say this much about the Picard and Berverly relationship: the writers suprised me. Its normally the ''Hollywood'' way to pair up characters with even a hint of ST after a while. Got to wonder in-universe what is taking them so long though. In one episode of TNG they read each other's minds. They KNOW that they want to bone each other, and its been, like, 40 years since Jack Crusher's death? Now that the ''I am your superior officer'' excuse is gone and any implication that Picard is Beverly's rebound is gone, what's taking them so long? You've already died an alone old man once Picard, maybe don't a second time?
Overall I appreciate how under spoken Picard's development of a character was. The writing reflects the workaholic life that they touch on in the show.
..What mirror universe? ;/
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Honestly, I was rooting for him to hook up with the Romulan. Maybe that's just me though. >.>
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 7:10 pm
Honestly, I was rooting for him to hook up with the Romulan. Maybe that's just me though. >.>
Definitely would have made the dynamic with Beverly more interesting. "Of course I moved on, you walked out on me twenty years ago".
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.