The Legend of the Galactic Heroes discusion thread

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
GandALF
Officer

Re: The Legend of the Galactic Heroes discusion thread

Post by GandALF »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:21 am
MithrandirOlorin wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:19 am Even in A New Hope they were all assumed to be the same size.

And indoctrinated at youth is not the same thing as the real Storm Troopers either. Like the Brownshirts the movement largely came form disillusioned vetrans, but they could also be compared to the KKK without masks.
The Stormtroopers of Star Wars aren't actually the Stormtroopers of the Nazis as the Night of the Long Knives destroyed them as an organization. Oddly enough, they're much closer to the Waffen-SS as they are the replacements for the Clonetroopers.

And Nazi Germany did end up using child soldiers.
They are more like the original WW1 stormtroopers that actually stormed things. The Tantive IV corridor fight is a lot like a trench raid.

The First Order and the Empire are similar to the Nazis and the Kaiserreich
-Bitter about losing the last war
-obsessed with revanchism
-beefs up its forces in violation of the treaty with the New Republic
-Leia puts forward a few Churchillian warnings that the senate ignores because it doesn't want another war.
-Presumably having a alien replace the Emperor is a lot like having a "little Bohemian corporal" replace the Kaiser.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

That's the thing that bugs me as about the mainstream narrative of WWII, that the allies not wanting War in this period was bad.

But I can't say that without people turning equating it with being an apologist for Hitler.
Call me KuudereKun
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

GandALF wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:55 am -Presumably having a alien replace the Emperor is a lot like having a "little Bohemian corporal" replace the Kaiser.
Austrian, not Bohemian.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

TGLS wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:00 pm
GandALF wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:55 am -Presumably having a alien replace the Emperor is a lot like having a "little Bohemian corporal" replace the Kaiser.
Austrian, not Bohemian.
You're missing the point. Hindenburg called Hitler "the Bohemian Corporal" in a contemptuous manner.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox