Doctor Who S11E01 - 'The Woman Who Fell To Earth' (SPOILERS)

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
MrL1992
Officer

Re: Doctor Who S11E01 - 'The Woman Who Fell To Earth' (SPOILERS)

Post by MrL1992 »

It looks like the episode received the third highest UK viewing figures for any of modern Doctor Who, the most since 2008, its likely to get higher the more data comes in.

Also 'The Ghost Monument' is looking to be the most watched non-live programme of the week in the UK, even with a bit of drop-off.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

How long does it take for the episodes to become viewable for free on the BBC site after airing? >.> Or on Netflix?
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

Usually Doctor Who eps go up on the BBC player after broadcast and remain up until series end. As for Netflix you will have a wait.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Robovski wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:27 pm Usually Doctor Who eps go up on the BBC player after broadcast and remain up until series end. As for Netflix you will have a wait.
Yeah but when do they become available to people who don't have BBC or television? >.>
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:42 am
Robovski wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:27 pm Usually Doctor Who eps go up on the BBC player after broadcast and remain up until series end. As for Netflix you will have a wait.
Yeah but when do they become available to people who don't have BBC or television? >.>
They've been on BBC America, but I don't think they have more than their latest aired episode. Legally I don't know where you can catch the first episode right now until they rebroadcast it. I used to VPN in to the BBC player, but then I used to live there and my seperated wife is still paying for a license.
MissKittyFantastico
Officer

Post by MissKittyFantastico »

I've really got to stop doing the callback thing - as soon as the tent appeared I was all "Gods of Ragnarok!" and of course no, calm down, it's a tent.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

MrL1992 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:44 pm It looks like the episode received the third highest UK viewing figures for any of modern Doctor Who, the most since 2008, its likely to get higher the more data comes in.

Also 'The Ghost Monument' is looking to be the most watched non-live programme of the week in the UK, even with a bit of drop-off.
There is a clear link between controversy and viewing figures. The middle of the series will be the true measure.
name_here
Redshirt

Post by name_here »

Episodes so far have been great, though I think the three companions decision was a mistake. I mean, they had three companions for One and Five, but they stopped doing that for a reason. Because of the nature of the show there isn't much of a reoccurring B-cast, so it needs to introduce a whole set of new characters each episode and have the Doctor resolve the plot, and that leaves limited time for covering all three of Old Guy, Young Guy with muscle tremors, and Lady.

I'm pretty sure they all have names and I think they've even all been said out loud, but I cannot remember them.
G-Man
Officer

Post by G-Man »

Thoughts?
Perhaps go over the initial post and edit the typos?
Of course, the last time that they regularly had three companions was the First Doctor and the Fifth Doctor - and they did so because they realised that these were an old man and a slightly built man respectively and thus needed someone else to do the physical work (and yes, that is the stated reason). And now they've done so to the woman... herm... very unfortunate implications.
The Fifth Doctor never struck me as particularly slightly built - certainly I would have thought that Sylvester McCoy struck me more as weak on that front. But moreover, I don't recall the Fifth Doctor having any companions who would outclass him on the strength front. A flight attendant, a princess, and a short young lad... not exactly a powerhouse amongst them.

And I don't see any unfortunate implications if a female Doctor is physically weaker than the male doctors - that's just biology, unless Time Lords are less sexually dimorphic than humans.

I don't see a problem with a female Doctor. I can see the annoyance at the ad where she breaks a glass ceiling, but if they try not to make too much hamfisted commentary on sexism it shouldn't be a problem.
Then I don't see the problem other than blatant "Waaaaah! Women with all their girl parts don't belong! Waaaaaah! I want the all-boys club to be sacred!"
I'm not certain that we are allowed to have the concept of "girl parts" anymore, as it implies that certain anatomies are inherently male and others inherently female. It's the current year, you know.
The idea of Time Lords being able to grant more regenerations was a thing as far back as the 80s with the Master. And you knew the BBC wasn't going to let it kill off their biggest money maker?
As soon as we started getting into the double-digit-eth Doctors, I think it became obvious that if the show continued they would find a way to extend the number of regenerations. It's not just a corporate greed thing - it's a "do you want the Doctor to die permanently?" thing.
"You say I'm a dreamer/we're two of a kind/looking for some perfect world/we know we'll never find" - Thompson Twins
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Why shouldn't we get excited at shattering the all-boys club by including a female where no woman has gone before? That is legitimately exciting to me. And no one has the right to tell me that we shouldn't feel that way, because to do so presupposes sexism is over, that it isn't as ugly today as it was 100 years ago, and that a lot of people still get away with it. Hell, no one can even agree on what sexism is. So from all accounts, since a lot of people seem pleased with the new female Doctor, I'm pretty happy she's doing so well, especially since I knew people going into this who thought it would be pure SJW/Feminist pandering and nothing more.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords