How Would You Fix Neelix?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Madner Kami
Captain

Re: How Would You Fix Neelix?

Post by Madner Kami »

Nealithi wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:33 pm Follow both his introduction in the pilot. A scrappy scavenger and businessman. Knows people though they may not like him. And shrewd in a ruthless way. Need to distract the kazon? Shoot the water tank. They will scramble to save the resource and you can escape. Guess what it worked. It goes against the Federation. But it worked. So he is brought on board for his knowledge of the region. Fine, have them hear his hard bitten comments. And ignore them because it is not the utopian Federation way. But let him be right. "Oh those guys adrift there? Yeah just leave them. More trouble than they are worth if you pick them up." Everyone looks on him with horror. Then they pickup the poor wrecked survivors. They are so nice and polite while the main characters are around. And trying to steal anything not nailed down when they are not looking. IE let Neelix be right. You can break this up with some of his attitude is prejudice he needs to get over. And he himself tends to hoard things in secret compartments on his ship should they ever kick him off. Let that come up in an attack where an enemy has mostly taken Voyager. Some of the cast hide on Neelix's salvage ship and he happens to have useful supplies scattered about. And when they ask about it and feel indignant that he thinks it might be necessary. He could point out. If he hadn't been hiding such things away they would not have them now. Little bits where he comes of as a more believable survivor.
^This
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

If I can spot a common thread, it's that most of these boil down to "explain why they haven't kicked him off the ship".
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Really just don't make him an arrogant nuisance. It is pretty charming how good he is with kids, so I guess I'm willing to look past the complications of him dating a 2 year old. I mean he's just pretty dorky, and that can be pretty annoying if you don't consider he does take to people. If he had a sense of humility, then all things being the same he'd be better.
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:56 am If I can spot a common thread, it's that most of these boil down to "explain why they haven't kicked him off the ship".
He was their navigator of sorts for a while.
..What mirror universe? ;/
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Madner Kami wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:28 pm
Slash Gallagher wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:25 pm
Madner Kami wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:20 pm
Slash Gallagher wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:36 pm
nebagram wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:25 pm Two words: hardened survivor. He's meant to have survived by himself on his crappy spaceship ever since his homeworld got Jetrelled. Give him that sort of character and don't let him get so 'domesticated' (fleas notwithstanding) too quickly. The character of Dureena from the Babylon 5 spin-off is a good example to look at here. And as heretical as it may sound, on the topic of 'domesticated', ditch Kes.
So you need to replace the actor?
Because?
I am open minded, could that guy play tough and grizzled? I only saw him on VOY.
It's Ethan Phillips. An accomplished actor and in the business since 1977. Give him material to work with and he will work the hell out of it.
I love Steve Buscemi, he is accomplished...

Witht that said he will never play a badass grzzled war vet or Viking warrior leader in an action movie.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

"Do you think God stays in his heaven because he, too, lives in fear of what he's created?"
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:05 amIt is pretty charming how good he is with kids, so I guess I'm willing to look past the complications of him dating a 2 year old.
Oh great, now we get the FBI snooping around here. Thanks for that sentence, BridgeConsoleMasher...
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:05 am Really just don't make him an arrogant nuisance. It is pretty charming how good he is with kids, so I guess I'm willing to look past the complications of him dating a 2 year old. I mean he's just pretty dorky, and that can be pretty annoying if you don't consider he does take to people. If he had a sense of humility, then all things being the same he'd be better.
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:56 am If I can spot a common thread, it's that most of these boil down to "explain why they haven't kicked him off the ship".
He was their navigator of sorts for a while.
Neelix has been about twenty different things. He seems to be a reasonable pilot and junk dealer though.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:00 pm "Do you think God stays in his heaven because he, too, lives in fear of what he's created?"
Good soundbite, but no. Lesser gods perhaps, but the omnipotent Christian God? The one with the power to create and destroy the universe? I think that says more about him than us tbh. Especially as he can see the future, so he knew how we would turn out. Meaning that he invented a race that he himself was going to be fearful of?
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

clearspira wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:06 pm
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:00 pm "Do you think God stays in his heaven because he, too, lives in fear of what he's created?"
Good soundbite, but no. Lesser gods perhaps, but the omnipotent Christian God? The one with the power to create and destroy the universe? I think that says more about him than us tbh. Especially as he can see the future, so he knew how we would turn out. Meaning that he invented a race that he himself was going to be fearful of?
I was mostly trying to point out Buscemi's acting range and thus how some actors you might not think suited for the Grizzled Veteran role can pull it off.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:42 pm
clearspira wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:06 pm
I was mostly trying to point out Buscemi's acting range and thus how some actors you might not think suited for the Grizzled Veteran role can pull it off.
I don't think he would work unless i see him do it.