The difference between TNG & STD

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Re: The difference between TNG & STD

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Yukaphile wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:32 pm Independent artists still need to eat, pay the bills, and so on, CharlesPhipps. It's ironic you claim to hold to leftist values, yet support the greedy elite clinging to these older franchises and keep people back from making passion projects except as anything other than a "free" endeavor, and how do you support yourself with "free?" We are NOT robots!
I am an independent writer, FYI, and I have my stuff repeatedly stolen and pirated. So, I admit to a certain level of dubiousness. Look up C.T. Phipps on Youtube and see if there's any pirated audiobooks of mine. And if you can't make something similar to what you love and make money from that, then you aren't a very good writer.

The Orville is an original IP made in homage of another one.

Dark Matter is an original IP made in homage of another one.

And so on.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Ixthos wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:03 pmComplete side note to the topic, but have you seen Highlander: the Quest for Vengeance? That was a great film if a little more gory than I had expected. What are your thoughts on it? :-)
Probably one of the best things done in the franchise, IMHO.

Mind you, I do find it funny how much people want to incorporate cyberpunk themes into Highlander.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Say what you want. I just find it more fandom-blaming and fandom prejudice and outsider elitism when people say stuff like how public domain would ruin Star Wars, or even Creative Commons. Seems more like, "Those Star Wars fans are toxic, so we gotta punish them/make sure they don't destroy the franchise!" I mean, Mark Hamill himself has even said words to this effect, that being that perhaps even borderline obsessively passionate (yeah, like me, before somebody brings it up) is not a bad thing. He was upset with how they treated Jake Lloyd, but understood the criticism, and calls us Ultra Passionate Fans.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Yukaphile wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:41 am Say what you want. I just find it more fandom-blaming and fandom prejudice and outsider elitism when people say stuff like how public domain would ruin Star Wars, or even Creative Commons. Seems more like, "Those Star Wars fans are toxic, so we gotta punish them/make sure they don't destroy the franchise!" I mean, Mark Hamill himself has even said words to this effect, that being that perhaps even borderline obsessively passionate (yeah, like me, before somebody brings it up) is not a bad thing. He was upset with how they treated Jake Lloyd, but understood the criticism, and calls us Ultra Passionate Fans.
Public domain is great for the fact that artists who are DEAD can't benefit from it. There's a reason it happens 75 years after the initial text. I'm all for establishing a limit to copyright but I think that intellectual property does help prevent people from being screwed. It's why so many comic artists ended up suing their publishers and winning (or at least getting settlements). No one wants to be paid in exposure.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Speaking of exposure:

http://explosm.net/comics/3751/
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu