KK says the trilogy format is no more from here on

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
clearspira
Overlord

Re: KK says the trilogy format is no more from here on

Post by clearspira »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:01 am
bronnt wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:47 am
ProfessorDetective wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:27 am I don't even like SW, but whenever I hear people saying that Disney's run with it has 'failed', I always wonder when being highly profitable and popular started counting as a 'failure'.
The opening weekend box office shrank from TFA to TLJ, and shrank even more from TLJ to TRoS. Solo had some enormous production costs due to its various problems and barely earned a profit. It's not like Marvel where they were cranking out 3+ movies a year and they were all blockbusters.
Nothing is like Marvel.

Star Wars might have lost it's magic to an extent, but it's by no means dead or anything. I think the main purpose of this trilogy was to set new ground post Skywalker saga.
Its not dead by any means, it will just take the right director/writer. But the stats speak for themselves: this trilogy (and Solo) has been a diminishing return. And they only have themselves to blame for TFA proved that people were hungry for Star Wars and Disney pissed that good will away.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I think that's a safe fact that's seems to be connecting the dots. At the point that JJ Abrams said, something to quote, "I think people don't want to go through all that just to be told [that] this doesn't matter", the direction taken was set to how can we bury TLJ with dirt and grow something else out of it.

You have to admit that this is particularly why Lucas shined in the original trilogy production. By Chuck's account it was a very painstaking task to make the movie steer the story in the right direction. For all the traps of -- mainly -- the first film that any later film fell into, I think that helming the story the way he did is a main reason people revered Star Wars indefinitely as they did.
..What mirror universe?
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Linkara made good points in his TLJ comic book adaption review. I can recomend watching it.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Funny, that's what they did in 2014. They are also lying to people. Abrams got the idea from Dark Empire. Come on. Yet in public interviews, he does not say this. Or how about KK's statement there was no source material? Pablo Hidago may be the biggest turncoat in the business's history, routinely going from referencing the older EU in sourcebook material and fan magazines to now accusing the older Legends die-hards of being Trump voters. Pathetic.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

They did what in 2014?
..What mirror universe?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

What Abrams said. Told it doesn't matter. Though admittedly this began under Filoni with TCW, which not only wrecked the former EU, it wrecked the G Canon too. Like how Anakin is immediately knighted following Episode II, and given the severe reservations the Jedi had had about him, that the multimedia project followed up on, I find that very hard to swallow.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Wait so are there a lot of people that care about how Legends is marginalized?
..What mirror universe?
Fianna
Captain

Post by Fianna »

They didn't necessarily take the plot from the EU material, because there's been SO MUCH EU material, you're entering "Simpsons Did It" territory, where it's hard to come up with a plot that HASN'T been done there.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

But that's not fair.
..What mirror universe?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

No, they overwrote the Clone Wars Multimedia Project. Granted, they kinda did the same with the older S Canon, but fact remains, since the early 1990s, despite the hiccups, they were at least trying to maintain continuity, even if they didn't always succeed (like changing the look of Dantooine for KOTOR). But Clone Wars, from everything I've seen on YouTube vids (and no, this dude is very professional, doesn't get into politics, and lists all the inconsistencies with attention to detail) says Dave Filoni just said, "Fuck the older material, I just wanna do my own thing." Like turning Barriss Offee into a flipping terrorist. At this point, I think it's fairly safe to say despite what Disney says, there are in fact, four canons. The older material that didn't make it in (formerly S Canon), the material from the 1990s to about the era of The Clone Wars, and everything Disney has done since the buyout.

I do feel really sorry for Winter, I won't lie. As I do for all Legends fans. He just really wants his Thrawn adaptation, and he's not gonna get it. Most they did was rerelease it. And if they ever return to that universe, I sincerely question how they will handle it, with retcons galore past anything seen previously. The Twin Suns Foundation genuinely wants more Legends content, and they've produced two since 2014, but... this is part of the reason I want it to just rest. So the continuity doesn't shatter anymore. And for those in charge to be honest. But we can't have that, since they are a greedy uber corporation after all.