Wonder Woman 1984

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Senko
Redshirt

Re: Wonder Woman 1984

Post by Senko »

Just 10 points why I think people may not like it.

1) Continuity mess Justice League Bruce has to piece together who Diana is and she say's she walked away from the world. Here she's not only fighting in massive malls where she "destroys the CCTV" but the ENTIRE world is affected and convinced by her to give up their wishes . . . how do people not know about Wonder Woman?

2) Random power spike in the first movie she slowly grows into clearly defined powers with some lightning blasts at the end, Justice league she had strength, speed and possibly invulnerability. 84 between the two she suddenly can make jets invisible and fly in some winged golden armour?

3) Random power fluctuations she gets her wish granted the cost of some of her powers but they never really explore exactly what this means or use it as plot to help her learn how it feels to be a normal woman who can't shrug off bullets.

4) Double standards "Oh look steve and diana had one last night together." rather than "oh look diana just raped a man possessed by the spirit of someone else and may have a wife/kids wondering what happened to him."

5) Nonsensical skills - Steve can fly a modern fighter jet because he's a pilot who flew biplanes a hundred years ago.

6) Joke scenes that add nothing to the plot "Ah yes this trash can is truly art" from a man who's been in the present era for some time, managed to track diana down in a city that is hundreds of times larger than anything he'd be used to.

7) Villain just giving up.

8) Whole world just giving up the wishes even though multiple civilizations apparently were destroyed by the rock before and strangely not one single person felt the wish they got was worth the price? I can think of MANY things I'd love to get via wishes I can never achieve in real life (magic power for one) and as long as the price affects me not someone else there's a LOT I'd happily give up for them and I'm in the comfortable middle class bracket of life people worse off are going to be even more delighted with their wish.

9) Stupid wishes "Mr President you can have anything you want in the world." US President "I want more nukes."

10) Cheetahs make up look - Cats flashbacks.
Zargon
Officer

Post by Zargon »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:58 am How much do you know about Wonder Woman and her comic books, Zargon?
I'm a Wonder Woman Expert.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Zargon wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:20 am
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:58 am How much do you know about Wonder Woman and her comic books, Zargon?
I'm a Wonder Woman Expert.
Then tell me, without googling, what is the name of the island that she comes from? Do not wait for the translation. Yes, or no?
..What mirror universe?
Senko
Redshirt

Post by Senko »

Even I know that one. You probably should go with some less well known ones these days like how she could originally lose her powers.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Anybody see MelinaPendulum's feminist critique on the movie?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUP4vJZhxYU
..What mirror universe?
BBally81
Officer

Post by BBally81 »

South Korean Audiences seem to really like this film.
In #Korea, Wonder Woman 1984 grossed 41k on its 3rd FRI, still #1 & 32% market share, 4M local cume at Box Office. 486k people saw WW84 in #SouthKorea so far. Between this week debuts, Poland’s Mr Jones in #3 grossed 7k. Black Bird in #4 grossed 6k, Germany’s Girl in #8 with 4k.
https://twitter.com/Luiz_Fernando_J/sta ... 7948387328
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Wonder Woman and Steve had no idea the dude was possessed vs. a construct for Steve to inhabit like Donald Blake.

It was foreshadowing the Dreamstone was evil.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Thank you. That's the first explanation I've had as to why they made such a strange narrative choice.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Gridlock1987
Redshirt

Post by Gridlock1987 »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:13 am Wonder Woman and Steve had no idea the dude was possessed vs. a construct for Steve to inhabit like Donald Blake.

The foreshadowing that Dreamstone was evil, was the fact that Wonder Woman was getting weaker throughout the movie, and had to let go of Steve, to get her powers back. And how could they have no idea, if the guy had home, etc? They knew damn well he was in somebodys else body, it's just the plot completly ignores that. And no point either of them have a realisation "oh shit, what about the dude you're in, Steve?"
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Gridlock1987 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:24 pm
CharlesPhipps wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:13 am Wonder Woman and Steve had no idea the dude was possessed vs. a construct for Steve to inhabit like Donald Blake.

The foreshadowing that Dreamstone was evil, was the fact that Wonder Woman was getting weaker throughout the movie, and had to let go of Steve, to get her powers back. And how could they have no idea, if the guy had home, etc? They knew damn well he was in somebodys else body, it's just the plot completly ignores that. And no point either of them have a realisation "oh shit, what about the dude you're in, Steve?"
Obviously because the dreamstone conjured it for them. :)

Donald Blake had an entire past.