What Makes the MCU Work?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Re: What Makes the MCU Work?

Post by Thebestoftherest »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:44 am
Thebestoftherest wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:11 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:07 am
Thebestoftherest wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:10 pm I just feel liek DC have a habit of ignoring how the characters designs for more dark and dull designs.
It's about nuance!
So darker and grimmer is more Nuance than a man trying to be a good person in a dark world?
What do you mean by a dark world when it's not allowed to be dark in the first place?
So it can only be dark if our hero subcome, they can't possible be a bit of light trying to be better. They should fall to the darkness of the world?
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:36 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:44 am
Thebestoftherest wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:11 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:07 am
Thebestoftherest wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:10 pm I just feel liek DC have a habit of ignoring how the characters designs for more dark and dull designs.
It's about nuance!
So darker and grimmer is more Nuance than a man trying to be a good person in a dark world?
What do you mean by a dark world when it's not allowed to be dark in the first place?
So it can only be dark if our hero subcome, they can't possible be a bit of light trying to be better. They should fall to the darkness of the world?
I didn't see darkness in Kal-El. I feel like a lot of people argue as if what he does to Zod is inversive of his symbolic nobility, and I don't feel like he needs to be a perfect specimen in his path.
Power laces... alright.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

Superman killing Zod isn't my issue, rather it's that the writers chose to go that path at all.

And it's so tone deaf. One minute, he kills Zod and seems kind of traumatized over that experience (he does a lot of screaming in that movie), but then one minute later we get forced humor "I think he's kinda hot".

Snyder is just a flat out bad storyteller.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Or how in dawn of justice we are supposed to care about Martha live when she would happily let innocent die than let her bullet proof son save them.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Makeshift Python wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:32 am Superman killing Zod isn't my issue, rather it's that the writers chose to go that path at all.
Yeah but then Superman killing Zod is the issue if it's just the fact that it was written that bothers you.

Criticisms about Snyder's tone is valid of course. Though honestly, in a thematic sense, the scene is actually pretty compelling. As far as I can tell, everybody's argument is in concept.
Power laces... alright.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

I do think that it kinda become pointless knowing that in Dawn of Justice we are still stuck with a superman that kills.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Thebestoftherest wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:59 pm I do think that it kinda become pointless knowing that in Dawn of Justice we are still stuck with a superman that kills.
Superman's mostly just a heavy in Justice League anyway isn't he?
Power laces... alright.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

And you don't see anything wrong with that.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:05 am And you don't see anything wrong with that.
I don't mean the movie I mean conventionally. His rogue gallery works for JL a lot, like Darkseid takes them all on nicely, but Superman's like the one that takes all the beating.
Power laces... alright.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

I guess.