Star Wars: Rogue One

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Re: Star Wars: Rogue One

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

mathewgsmith wrote: Really? The Old Republic series isn't exactly obscure.
Knowing spaceships in a video game that is almost 15 years old is obscure.
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

I enjoyed the movie. I may well like it more then TFA, I'll need to watch both some more before I can be certain.

But Episodes I-III are still the best Star Wars films.

My current recommended order for watching the Star Wars films
Goes like this.

Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace
Star Wars Episode II: Attack of The Clones
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of The Sith
Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope
Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
Star Wars Episode VI: Return of The Jedi
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

You may be surprised by that order. My long advocacy for viewing the Prequel Trilogy first is not because of some unconditional principle that everything should be watched in Chronological order. It's because I view the SW Prequels as being distinct from (most) other Prequels, they can work as their own independent Trilogy. And cause what I like about the OT mostly comes from watching them knowing the PT story.

The Chronicles of Narnia I think should be read in the order Lewis wrote them. I don't know what order I consider ideal for reading Paul Feval's Blackcoats series. But like Digibro I think the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya should be, on it's first viewing at least, watched in it's original broadcast order.

And in the case of Fate/Zero, the main reason I think it can make a better entry point into that saga then any version of Fate/Stay Night, isn't even that it's set Chronologically before it, or even really the fact that it explains the rules and lore up front better. It's the fact that it lacks the High School Harem Visual Novel aspects which might turn off many interested in that kind of story. They weren't a problem for me, but I'm a Otaku, I'm used to it. Many others who might be interested in a story about Hermetic Magick, the Holy Grail and a female King Arthur, are not so used to it.

I keep hearing people say that Rogue One was the first true stand alone Star Wars film. I find that amusing, because A New Hope was the only one that might have had no choice but to stand alone. While I personally feel The Phantom Menace still works best of all the SW movies as a stand alone.

While the Prequel Trilogy works great as Prequels if watched as such. It's Rogue One that works only as a Prequel, I really would not recommend anyone view it as their first SW film. So much about it, especially it's end, is predicated as us seeing things we recognize. And the ending would clearly be read by such a person as a sequel hook.

And I really would not recommend cramming it in-between Episodes III and IV. While it's Rogue One that timeline wise ended right where ANH begins. ROTS ended there thematically and narratively, and so I always want to go right to Luke and Leia's story after finishing it, Rogue One would be a diversion.

I feel like Rogue One relates to the Original Trilogy similar to a Satyr play.

However I can also say that I would NOT recommend in the future when we have the entire New Trilogy having Rogue One interrupt it's viewing order either.
Call me KuudereKun
drthmik
Redshirt

Post by drthmik »

I disagree that Episodes 1-3 should be watched first... Or even at all
Nothing in them is integral to the plot of 4-7 and you could skip them entirely and you'd only miss 3 poorly made/written movies
If you're REALLY interested in the plots, a quick synopsis can catch you up on the Salient points without subjecting you to the unimportant nonsense that fills the Prequel trilogy. The PT is Trash, and I feel DEEPLY sorry for anyone who had the misfortune of seeing them first.

On the other hand, I agree that Rogue One should not be seen before A New Hope... At least not the 1st time
Wargriffin
Captain

Post by Wargriffin »

The PT aren't written as Prequels

They are written with the stance of You've seen 4-6 Ergo you already know all the major consequences, Ergo here is how it happened. Its more like history Channel Drama-mentary then a properly structured drama/narrative. " The Fall of Space Rome!" GL fell victim to the very thing someone warned him about on ANH.

instead of being written as though they are in consequential order. IE 1 builds into 2, 2 builds into 3, 3 builds into 4 etc etc

This is pretty much shown with how Anakin's transformation into Vader is treated... Its written as foregone conclusion and presented in snapshots. Instead of actually character progression to a tragic end and then redemption.
"When you rule by fear, your greatest weakness is the one who's no longer afraid."
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

The only sequence where order matters is 4-6. The prequels and side stories like Rogue One have no impact on the core films other than stuff that's summarized in the opening crawl anyway, so their viewing order doesn't matter. You don't even have to run the prequels in order, since there are massive time jumps between them and no real character arcs.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

To be honest with you I"m fine with not watching 4-6 at all, 1-3 are the story I care about.
Call me KuudereKun
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

MithrandirOlorin wrote:To be honest with you I"m fine with not watching 4-6 at all, 1-3 are the story I care about.
I remember having this exact conversation with you on the old board.

I told you that you were a-typical in your feelings, you agreed, and then we both agreed not to really care that we disagreed with each other's opinions about a science fiction series. It was a good talk.

At least the way I recall. Maybe one or both of us were total bastards.
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

I will always express my love for the Prequels.
Call me KuudereKun
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

The best Star Wars trilogy is the Thrawn series anyway.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
PerrySimm
Captain

Post by PerrySimm »

Rogue One slots in under Revenge of the Sith in my book. It's not as bad as Episode I, and could never be as bad as Episode II, but it doesn't gel for me.

The characters are constantly making decisions or doing things that don't make any sense, or are at odds with what we've learned about them.

Remember when the guy had his brain sucked out, except... not? Or when our hero wanted nothing to do with the Rebellion, until she suddenly decides to be its vanguard? Or when the Empire comes knocking on the door of the Rebels' answer to Boba Fett, he just decides, "Nah, I'm good" and accepts a death he could have easily escaped?!

I could see Vader going on a few silly rampages in the years after Sith. But by A New Hope, everywhere he walks, he owns the place. No need for him to dirty his own hands, except when it comes to troublesome Jedi...
UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K