Star Trek: Discovery - Season Four

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Madner Kami
Captain

Re: Star Trek: Discovery - Season Four

Post by Madner Kami »

clearspira wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:02 am
McAvoy wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:16 am
Deledrius wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:46 pm
Makeshift Python wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:21 am Hell, I've seen ENTERPRISE being BOTH a pariah and then become "the last time Trek was good", and I don't mean just Season 4.
Same here. And my own perspective on it has changed. It's still not a good show, but there are elements where I can say "they tried" (and miserably failed) are better than some aspects in the modern show where I wish they'd even thought about trying.

Each new thing can legitimately be "the worst thing yet" without hyperbole or hypocrisy. I don't personally feel that way (not entirely), but it's still valid.
My view on Enterprise is roughly the same as it was nearly 20 years ago.

On a side note, the way we are progressing in CGI even in the commercial products, it wouldn't surprise me that some fan or group of fans redo TOS. Like keep the actors, but everything is digitally redone with 'modern' asthetics.
If some fan did that, CBS would shut them down in a heartbeat.
Already happened, several times. Star Trek: New Voyages. Star Trek: Prelude to Axanar. [...]
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

clearspira wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:02 am
McAvoy wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:16 am
Deledrius wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:46 pm
Makeshift Python wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:21 am Hell, I've seen ENTERPRISE being BOTH a pariah and then become "the last time Trek was good", and I don't mean just Season 4.
Same here. And my own perspective on it has changed. It's still not a good show, but there are elements where I can say "they tried" (and miserably failed) are better than some aspects in the modern show where I wish they'd even thought about trying.

Each new thing can legitimately be "the worst thing yet" without hyperbole or hypocrisy. I don't personally feel that way (not entirely), but it's still valid.
My view on Enterprise is roughly the same as it was nearly 20 years ago.

On a side note, the way we are progressing in CGI even in the commercial products, it wouldn't surprise me that some fan or group of fans redo TOS. Like keep the actors, but everything is digitally redone with 'modern' asthetics.
If some fan did that, CBS would shut them down in a heartbeat.
There has been shorts I have seen of fans doing it already. The CGI is still not good enough, still looks too much like a video game from 15 years ago.

There will always be underground fan edits though.
I got nothing to say here.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

CBS kind of did those fans a favor. Those fan productions are so cringeworthy, more so than even the worst of Kurtzman Trek.

Unless they’re trained actors, fans should NEVER try acting. It’s embarrassing.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Makeshift Python wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:35 pm CBS kind of did those fans a favor.
Especially with Axanar, considering the whole thing had become (always been?) some kind of massive grift.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Grift?
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:46 pm Grift?
Like a scam.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Oh, thank you.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:46 pm Grift?
Long story, but the short version alleges that the project was using the fund-raising to set up an unrelated studio from the production of Axanar (defrauding their fans), as well as selling unlicensed commercial Trek-theme merchandise (violating CBS's rights to the material). There are a lot of details (and a lot of deflection from fans and the production team lead) out there, and in the end the lawsuit ended in an undisclosed settlement.

To my knowledge, the crowdfunded film (successfully funded in 2014) still has not been completed or released.

This project and associated lawsuit led directly to CBS cracking down on fan productions, producing the much more restrictive rules than the "blind eye" system which had previously been the de facto standard. This directly impacted other fan projects such as Star Trek: Continues, which could no longer produce full-length episodes in the style of The Original Series.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Is this place appropriate to vent about season 3?
..What mirror universe?
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

It can be. I didn't care for the new grey space suits that the Disco crew sported in the final moments of the finale. Thankfully, they seem to have immediately changed that with S4.