Brie Larson Reportedly Talking With Lucasfilm About Mara Jade Role In Star Wars

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Re: Brie Larson Reportedly Talking With Lucasfilm About Mara Jade Role In Star Wars

Post by Thebestoftherest »

I mean, in the last terminator movie trailer they ended the trailer with sarah corner blowing up the terminator which doesn't make the threat look very good.
McAvoy
Captain

Re: Brie Larson Reportedly Talking With Lucasfilm About Mara Jade Role In Star Wars

Post by McAvoy »

Nealithi wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:20 pm
Yukaphile wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:12 am You know, I'm probably gonna regret asking this, but... why does SJW... woke... stuff... go hand in hand with bad writing, continuity breakdown, and unoriginal ideas? To me, the two seem mutually exclusive, and it's just the modern state of America now means you're gonna get both smashed together. I don't really dislike liberal ideas. I've said before, I think Dax is a good trans or LGBT allegory, despite that clearspira didn't see it (boo!). That's actually a good concept and idea and character. All that'd change today is she'd be banging more women, except DS9 low-key implied she did, way up in Season 7. I don't mind more inclusive attempts. I just think with poor writing, politics is all you have left. I've also said that before.
I think it come down to hammering nails. Alien was a good movie and Ripley could have been any gender. Ripley being female meant she simply was the protagonist and it was a good story.
You want to announce your female superior character she begins by coming off as a Mary Sue. Because they want to put the character on a pedestal to make a point. And this can be done for gender or skin color or preferred partners.
If I remember correctly, Ripley was written as a male character. So when he became a she, nothing was changed which made her better. There was no gender identifying going on, she was just a member of the crew.
I got nothing to say here.
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

McAvoy wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:02 am
Nealithi wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:20 pm
Yukaphile wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:12 am You know, I'm probably gonna regret asking this, but... why does SJW... woke... stuff... go hand in hand with bad writing, continuity breakdown, and unoriginal ideas? To me, the two seem mutually exclusive, and it's just the modern state of America now means you're gonna get both smashed together. I don't really dislike liberal ideas. I've said before, I think Dax is a good trans or LGBT allegory, despite that clearspira didn't see it (boo!). That's actually a good concept and idea and character. All that'd change today is she'd be banging more women, except DS9 low-key implied she did, way up in Season 7. I don't mind more inclusive attempts. I just think with poor writing, politics is all you have left. I've also said that before.
I think it come down to hammering nails. Alien was a good movie and Ripley could have been any gender. Ripley being female meant she simply was the protagonist and it was a good story.
You want to announce your female superior character she begins by coming off as a Mary Sue. Because they want to put the character on a pedestal to make a point. And this can be done for gender or skin color or preferred partners.
If I remember correctly, Ripley was written as a male character. So when he became a she, nothing was changed which made her better. There was no gender identifying going on, she was just a member of the crew.
I thought they wrote the whole crew that way and just got people to fill the roles well. But that is basically my point. I think Avery Brooks had an interview question on being a black captain. And he mentioned he was written as the captain. He can't play the colour brown. And I think that is the difference.
SJW or whoever want the subject to seem perfect because of what ever cause they embody. Where you could put a character with every trait you want to support in the role. As long as you didn't write the role for the traits. Just for arguments sake. ToS Trek. Reverse the casting for Uhura and Kirk. Shatner is now the communications officer that occasionally takes the helm. Nichols is now the shrewd commander known to pickup girls in each port.
I would still have loved it. Make that show and I will watch it. Because the characters will be awesome. Not skin tone or gender.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Most SJWs I know would love Uhurah as a fuckboy lesbian.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

That would be one hell of progressive move for Star Trek in the 60's. A black captain who is not only the lead but a womanizing lesbian who slept with half the women in the galaxy.
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

McAvoy wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:53 am That would be one hell of progressive move for Star Trek in the 60's. A black captain who is not only the lead but a womanizing lesbian who slept with half the women in the galaxy.
True it likely would not have been made back then.
But my point was lift the scripts straight up. Nichols Kirk (Sorry I really meant swap actors not simply roles) in the Balance of Terror. Telling off Stiles and shrewdly working against Romulan Captain. Or A Taste of Armageddon sitting there telling them "I am a barbarian. You said it yourself." And compare that to Janeway.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Nealithi wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:18 am
McAvoy wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:53 am That would be one hell of progressive move for Star Trek in the 60's. A black captain who is not only the lead but a womanizing lesbian who slept with half the women in the galaxy.
But my point was lift the scripts straight up. Nichols Kirk (Sorry I really meant swap actors not simply roles) in the Balance of Terror. Telling off Stiles and shrewdly working against Romulan Captain. Or A Taste of Armageddon sitting there telling them "I am a barbarian. You said it yourself." And compare that to Janeway.
I don't see any difference between Kirk and a Uhura Kirk in the way I described it. Maybe she would be straight, banging men all over the galaxy. Kirk was a man slut afterall. We just use the more friendlier 'womanizer' term.

Woukd it be any different if you straight up swap scripts? No of course not. As far as I can remember, there wasn't any mention of Kirk being a white male being brought up as a significant part of his character.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

McAvoy wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:12 am
Nealithi wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:18 am
I don't see any difference between Kirk and a Uhura Kirk in the way I described it. Maybe she would be straight, banging men all over the galaxy. Kirk was a man slut afterall. We just use the more friendlier 'womanizer' term.

Woukd it be any different if you straight up swap scripts? No of course not. As far as I can remember, there wasn't any mention of Kirk being a white male being brought up as a significant part of his character.
I think your over exaggerated Kirk sexually he was a bit of a player but it not as big of a character trait that modern would have you believe.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Yeah, that seems to be a contemporary exaggeration/retcon.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

McAvoy wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:12 am
I wasn't really worried about what gender a Nichols Kirk slept with. I was mentioning that All of it would still work fine and still be great story telling.
Of course my mental fan scene is her battling Khan and winning. Which has one thing not quite work. Wrath of Khan. But up to that it is still perfect.