The Marvels and the death of the M-She-U

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
McAvoy
Captain

Re: The Marvels and the death of the M-She-U

Post by McAvoy »

Winter wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:20 am
Thebestoftherest wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:44 am It nice when bad faith topic get given the seriousness they deserve, none whatsoever.
That reminds me, a few weeks ago someone posted a bad faith review on the MCU that went on for I think 20 minutes about how the Superhero genre, more spasifcally Marvel, is dead and any Superhero media released will bomb and never see success again... And then Insomniac's Spider-Man 2 came out to critical and financial success being praised by critics and gamers as one of the best games of the year and one of the best superhero games of all time.

He then went on to make a 1 hour video about how SM2 wasn't a success it just happened to be liked by everyone and made a lot of money. It was more convoluted then that but that is what it boiled down to, he said this genre was dead and no one liked it and then just a week later here comes a Superhero game which came out to huge success and he goes on this hour long rant trying to show how he was right by using only negative reviews, how the negative reviews are the "Real" reviews and how even though a lot of people bought the game that doesn't mean they actually played the game.

It was honestly hilarious to see this mental gymnastics in play as you saw him try and justify his position as the right one and as per-usual with these idiots he said that the reason it was bad was because it took a established straight character and made her gay and everyone hated that. Wasn't he surprised when everyone in the comments pointed out that Felicia has been openly bisexual since the mid 90s and that those in the comments also pointed out that they actually bought the game to play it because why would they waste $70 on something if you're not going to play it?

The comments were the real real I went to the video because it was nothing but one long chain of "Are you an idiot?", along with "You always complain about girls kissing are you gay?" and "Of course I bought the game to not play it because just like you, I don't have a life."

Eventually he just straight up deleted his channel and it honestly put a smile on my face that someone so dumb got called out for saying something so stupid. :lol:
Well Tbh, one is a game and the others are movies. Also Spiderman. One of the last big successes was Spiderman and you could argue it was due to bringing in the other Spidermen. Or the Miles Spiderman version. Take your pick.

I do get it why someone would think superhero movies may not make it anymore. DC is going back to the starting point though it may not garner the excitement as before. MCU is struggling since Endgame. Like I said, I can see it.

But that is due to Marvel not really finding a footing as good as it had since Phase 1 and honestly with DC their reboot is starting far far too soon since the last version.
I got nothing to say here.
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

McAvoy wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:49 am Well Tbh, one is a game and the others are movies. Also Spiderman. One of the last big successes was Spiderman and you could argue it was due to bringing in the other Spidermen. Or the Miles Spiderman version. Take your pick.

I do get it why someone would think superhero movies may not make it anymore. DC is going back to the starting point though it may not garner the excitement as before. MCU is struggling since Endgame. Like I said, I can see it.

But that is due to Marvel not really finding a footing as good as it had since Phase 1 and honestly with DC their reboot is starting far far too soon since the last version.
Fair but again this reviewer was more complaining about Marvel as a whole being dead and made a big deal about how nothing made by Marvel would be a success. Him getting pissy about SM2 being a huge success and how it wasn't actually a success because twisted troll logical at it's finest.

I do agree that the MCU has been having issues but it has had a number of successes that has matched and IMO succeeded what the studio has produced in the past.

WandaVision, The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, Loki and What If were all hits with critics and audience. Hawkeye was also well liked by most fans and both Spider-Man: No Way Home and Black Panther: Wadanda Forever were loved by both critics and fans and both more then made back their budget.

It's been mostly hit and miss and I would argue more hits then misses. Honestly the only entries I would say I honestly did not like were She-Hulk and Thor: Love and Thunder.

To take a look at one of the films I felt wasn't great but wasn't terrible Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness has problems but there's also a strange charm to it. It's a film that suffers from continuity lockout as even if you've been following the series up to this point you'd still be lost, America Chavez is completely unrecognizable from her comic book counterpart and what they did to Wanda was just a complete betrayal of her character.

But when it works, it really works. The action is great, the performances is all solid and props to Sam Raimi for making this one of the most gruesome and violent films in the series with some truly unnerving deaths.

DSINMOM is really the MCU right now, it has problems but it has it's moments.

Honestly this is something that happens to every series and like any series a comeback will happen and then we'll get some truly awful stories and everyone will look back on the MCU right now and say how great we use to have it because that's how it always goes.

Heard this song and dance enough times to know it by heart and I've learned just to dance to it and sit it out when I'm bored. Something good always comes along later, you just have to have faith and be patient.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Then again these idiots been saying about how the Super hero bubbles would burst for years now, I wouldn't be surprise if some people being saying stuff like that since the Christopher Reeves Superman, because they originally thought it was a fad. What I am saying I think there a reason they are so popular.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

The mcu just doesn’t have Infinity Wars. The stuff that’s not working now are threaded attempts to branch out, and people are taking it way seriously as an indication of comic medium in film.

The entertainment value at the critical points is still holding though.
..What mirror universe?
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

My favorite was when they insisted that Super Mario would be a failure because Princess Peach had a prominet role and that's "woke" and then when it was a hit instantly turned around and said that it's success proved them right because *mumble mumble*.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Seriously, anti woke crowd if you want a story where men are the heroes and competent and all the other nonsense, go watch an old movie there area few million of them that does that, and accept people want something new.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

hammerofglass wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:51 pm My favorite was when they insisted that Super Mario would be a failure because Princess Peach had a prominet role and that's "woke" and then when it was a hit instantly turned around and said that it's success proved them right because *mumble mumble*.
Super Mario Brothers 2 was apparently woke in the Eighties.
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

hammerofglass wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:51 pm My favorite was when they insisted that Super Mario would be a failure because Princess Peach had a prominet role and that's "woke" and then when it was a hit instantly turned around and said that it's success proved them right because *mumble mumble*.
Oh yeah I forgot about that, how everyone was complaining that Peach was going to be more proactive and badass which they said was offensive to fans even though fans of the series had wanted this for all the way back in the mid-90s. My personal favorite though has to go to She-Ra.

I remember idiots doing going on about how this would ruin She-Ra and He-Man, how it betrayed the creators of Master of the Universe by not making Adora super hot and that this was the end of Netflix... And then She-Ra came out and it was a major hit, revitalized interest in She-Ra and He-Man, was approved by one of the original series' creators and all these idiots bitching only accomplished was making everyone checking it out because they wanted to see what all the fuss was about.

One these idiots actually kept trying to derail the show but was soon called out by fans because they were very clearly not watching the show and the last attempt to get the show canned was to point out the continuity issues with the show and how the original didn't have such problems. Like seriously the original She-Ra was a 80's kids show, it was LOADED with continuity errors that one of the animators of said show chimed in to point out all the animation errors he made.

And the best part, most of these videos didn't even make it into the top 100 most viewed videos on YT when it came to YT. I've since blocked these idiots (thank you Channel Blocker) so they no longer show up in my search but last time I checked when I did a Most Viewed search on She-Ra these it took me 10 minutes before they showed up as it was mostly positive reviews and reactions or clips from the show.

And again, they tried to pass this off as a YT was being bribed because there was no other reason anyone would not check out their videos. And then when the show came to an end they tried to spin it as the show being cancelled even though Stevenson, Netflix and people who actually watched the show noted that the show was just intended to last for only 5 (technically 4) seasons and the cast and crew were happy where the show was ending so there was no need to continue.

And yeah keep trying to go "No it was cancelled! It was Woke! It Went BROKE" with one such idiot outright crying during a live-stream because everyone was pointing out how it was a success and wasn't getting canned it just ended. At the end he told everyone to just shut up because no one in the stream was agreeing with him and ended the live-stream. The best part, Stevenson's LS after the show ended was being released at the same time and more people were watching his instead of the other guys.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:56 pm Seriously, anti woke crowd if you want a story where men are the heroes and competent and all the other nonsense, go watch an old movie there area few million of them that does that, and accept people want something new.
"Worst opening for an MCU film since the Hulk."

Enjoying your "new" are you?

Ms Marvel. Secret Invasion. Loki s2. All of which have terrible reviews.

A stream that was nothing but cats for hours.

Yeah, nah. I'll stick with my opinion that films and TV shows used to be better before all of this garbage.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:55 pm Then again these idiots been saying about how the Super hero bubbles would burst for years now, I wouldn't be surprise if some people being saying stuff like that since the Christopher Reeves Superman, because they originally thought it was a fad. What I am saying I think there a reason they are so popular.
How has the super hero bubble not collapsed? No one is watching the films, the shows, or buying the comics. The only success is currently the games. 1 out of 4 lol.

And as for Chris Reeves, pretty much everyone agrees that there are only two good films which us why Superman Returns retconned 3 and 4. And after that? Superhero films were nothing garbage until Batman 1989 and collapsed AGAIN after Batman and Robin until Fox Spider-Man and X-Men in the early 2000s which finally kickstarted the modern age of heroes.

Superheroes have only been successful about 3 times on film in history.
Last edited by clearspira on Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.