Star Trek Picard season 3

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: Star Trek Picard season 3

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

McAvoy wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 5:16 am So I finally finished the season. Took me awhile due to real life stuff. Even though for the most part I avoided spoilers I knew what was going on due to YouTube and Facebook. Just not the details.

Technical side of it all, it does annoy me that the new Enterprise G looks to be a downgrade from F. Or that Geordi can pretty much treat the E-D like a project boat in his backyard.

The fan service is a bit much for my tastes too though not as much like Steve Shives. I think this season plus the previous two probably could have benefited from a more coherent three season story arc.

Like having the Founders being there from the beginning. The Borg only introduced in Season 2 and 3. Maybe the Borg Cube in Season 1 being a trojan horse of some kind.

Picard's son being involved earlier. Q being involved as well through all three seasons. Maybe making it all one final test for Jean Luc Picard.

Introduce the TNG crew incrementally through the first two seasons. More of the Riker/Worf banter. Some lines were cringey like Worf's threesome line followed by Riker's Do you hear yourself. That's just too on the nose bad writing for me. Word's line of finding swords more fun is funny to me and does make sense in character.
Not that this isn't valid for conceptual purposes, but you're taking the best aspects of season 3 and saying they should have paced all three seasons more accordingly to make for more effective exhibition of those aspects.
..What mirror universe?
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

It's almost as creating a TNG Part 2 would've been the best idea from the start...
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:54 am
McAvoy wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 5:16 am So I finally finished the season. Took me awhile due to real life stuff. Even though for the most part I avoided spoilers I knew what was going on due to YouTube and Facebook. Just not the details.

Technical side of it all, it does annoy me that the new Enterprise G looks to be a downgrade from F. Or that Geordi can pretty much treat the E-D like a project boat in his backyard.

The fan service is a bit much for my tastes too though not as much like Steve Shives. I think this season plus the previous two probably could have benefited from a more coherent three season story arc.

Like having the Founders being there from the beginning. The Borg only introduced in Season 2 and 3. Maybe the Borg Cube in Season 1 being a trojan horse of some kind.

Picard's son being involved earlier. Q being involved as well through all three seasons. Maybe making it all one final test for Jean Luc Picard.

Introduce the TNG crew incrementally through the first two seasons. More of the Riker/Worf banter. Some lines were cringey like Worf's threesome line followed by Riker's Do you hear yourself. That's just too on the nose bad writing for me. Word's line of finding swords more fun is funny to me and does make sense in character.
Not that this isn't valid for conceptual purposes, but you're taking the best aspects of season 3 and saying they should have paced all three seasons more accordingly to make for more effective exhibition of those aspects.
As opposed to taking the worst aspects?
I got nothing to say here.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Madner Kami wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:21 pm It's almost as creating a TNG Part 2 would've been the best idea from the start...
I mean, this I agree with for the most part.

but re: McAvoy, it's just that it's obviously a redirected or reinitiated effort of sorts.
..What mirror universe?
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:41 pm
Madner Kami wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:21 pm It's almost as creating a TNG Part 2 would've been the best idea from the start...

but re: McAvoy, it's just that it's obviously a redirected or reinitiated effort of sorts.
For me I think the three seasons of Picard probably would have been better suited of it was really treated as the 8th and final season of TNG and as a swan song to the cast as well as for Patrick Stewart.

Meaning that it could have been more coherent with all three seasons being more interconnected. We knew this wasn't going to be a long five or more season series.

I know that traditionally seasons sometimes don't need to be interconnected with each other.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

McAvoy wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:37 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:41 pm

For me I think the three seasons of Picard probably would have been better suited of it was really treated as the 8th and final season of TNG and as a swan song to the cast as well as for Patrick Stewart.

Meaning that it could have been more coherent with all three seasons being more interconnected. We knew this wasn't going to be a long five or more season series.

I know that traditionally seasons sometimes don't need to be interconnected with each other.
The problem with that was Patrick Stewart.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Yup. His drive to be an action hero nearly ruined First Contact, got worse in Insurrection and outright helped dragging Nemesis into the Abyss. It didn't exactly help "his" series either.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Madner Kami wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:08 pm Yup. His drive to be an action hero nearly ruined First Contact, got worse in Insurrection and outright helped dragging Nemesis into the Abyss. It didn't exactly help "his" series either.
He was fine in First Contact. In fact Picard being in the middle of the action against the Borg plays into the deep seated anger and trauma Picard has. Has a whole scene about it.

The other two movies I can agree with.

I am fully aware of Stewart's involvement with the first two seasons of Picard and how it went in the season.