Your Headcanons?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Re: Headcanon.

Post by CharlesPhipps »

True but the Batman dunking him in chemicals is actually the Joker's original origin way back from the Bill Finger days.
Jonathan101
Captain

Re: Headcanon.

Post by Jonathan101 »

Well, yes, but that would mean that he DID "make him".

Whether he was already evil or not is another question, but the Joker wasn't making the story up in the Killing Joke just to mess with Batman.
technobabbler
Officer

Re: Your Headcanons?

Post by technobabbler »

this guy's, Banditincorporated, fanfic is the canon Star Wars prequel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1RHQQ0cXlo

fun to watch. minus some of the voice acting. Guy put way more thought into the universe than George Lucas.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Here's a headcanon of mine. That in "The Thaw," they said there were 400,000 people living on the planet. But then when they scan below the surface, they only find five people, two of whom are dead. My headcanon is this was just the command staff overseeing the procedure, and the other 399,905 people were buried much further down. Who knows what kind of horrors spawned in their collective unconsciousness...
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Nessus
Officer

Post by Nessus »

AllanO wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:22 am My headcannon for Star Trek (I think this happens in TOS and TNG but probably in the others as well) is that the automatic doors know not to open when people walk near them but don't want to exit (and even lean on them in some cases) not because the stage hands operating them know the script but because all technology in the Federation (and perhaps other civilizations) secretly uses psychic technology. This also explains things like the universal translator could work... This technical ability is never acknowledged due to some sinister and far reaching conspiracy... :)
IIRC There actually was something broadly like this on paper at least. The official behind the scenes rational for why TNG tricorders had such minimal interfaces that no one ever seemed to even use (no one ever pushes any buttons on the things, they just flip them open and wave them around while looking at the screen) was because they had REALLY good learning algorithms for building "smart" user profiles. By the time you'd gotten through the academy, you'd have used tricorders enough that your individual user profile could accurately predict exactly what you personally would want the device to do or display in 90% of given situations. Pick up any tricorder, and it immediately detects the user's identity and calls the user profile from the ship's computer.

Depending on how profiles are stored, every ship might have every profile for every Starfleet member in it's database. If the profiles are really cheap to store, like just a hashed seed value instead of full data, then maybe even every single individual tricorder might have them all.

If you've got that, it's pretty trivial to extend it to other interfaces. Every time you sit down at a console, the LCARS automatically rearrange to whatever layout the profiles say you personally find most intuitive. And of course the doors all know where you're about to step before you do.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Well, the Enterprise's computer is capable of spontaneously creating a true artificial intelligence ad hoc (Moriarty) and is uncannily savy at interpreting the intend of user commands, rather than (normally) going for literal interpretations as you would expect of a technically "dumb" machine.

My working theory is, that the computers in and post TNG are quite a bit more advanced than anyone in-universe even realizes. They are sentient and argueably beyond Data-levels of intelligent. That combined with the fact, that the computer by necessity constantly monitors what everyone is doing and saying (it is pretty much said to be the case in-universe), creates a very simple reason for why the doors simply know when someone wants to go through them or not, even if a conversation appears to be over, only to be picked up again a few seconds later with the result of the character standing right in front of a closed door, like literally facing the closed door. The computer's level of being able to read intend and situations is on a level far beyond our understanding. They read you. They know you. They quite literally understand you. And they do so on a level that is far beyond your own capability of understanding yourself and the situation you are in.

"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

Stuff related to S31 and STD:

--STD itself, like Enterprise, is an in-universe holoprogram, made on shrooms, that is loosely based on actual events. There really was a USS Discovery and a Michael Burnham, but she was just adopted by an important Vulcan, she wasn't Spock's sister, and she first met Spock as an adult when their dads were both hurt by a bomber on Vulcan. The Empress of Terra is basically the big bad of this version.

--Section 31 isn't a government black ops group, but a rogue ultranationalist terrorist group that sometimes operates with the approval of Starfleet admirals (Leyton had buddies on DS9 who helped plan his coup but had to be pardoned to keep things going, so they turned to S31 to "protect the Federation at any cost"). At some point they become a liability and Starfleet Intelligence has to take 'em out.

--Lorca is Mirror, but a refugee from the MU and not a cartoon villain. He loves the Federation fanatically and is willing to use even Mirror methods to preserve it. He's sort of the inadvertent inspiration for S31.

--Any Trek that Kurtzman is in charge of never happened and Kurtzman can fuck off and die.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

EXACTLY. STD is just a holodeck. If only it could end with them saying "End program," only without the future characters interacting with it, to really sell the "All Just A Dream" aspect. And it'd piss off everyone - those who liked STD, those who hated it and thought it never should have existed. It'd be the most epic conclusion ever!
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Given the talk about the Matrix recently:

Literally everything seen in the Matrix never happened in reality. The truth is that the Matrix is really a VR game system. Thomas Anderson is a critic who was asked to review said system. The system takes mines a person's experiences for information to build the fictive world and story with. Anderson was strongly critical of the system, and after being indoctrinated to accept the fictive world, was temporarily unable to remember why the world seemed wrong.

After false starts, the Matrix realized the solution was to turn Anderson's skepticism against him, by giving a slightly modified version of the truth. Why, after all, would Morpheus refuse to tell him the truth? "This is really a simulation" is hardly rocket science in terms of explanation difficulty. Why would implanted robots only be used the one time inside the Matrix and never be mentioned again?

It also explains some of the questionable decisions in the sequels. Neo was no longer all powerful because otherwise the simulation would become boring. Smith shows up again after being well and truly beaten because of subconscious desires for a recurring enemy. The final one-on-one fight resolving everything (with the clones doing nothing) resolves everything because that's how stories are structured.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Simplicius
Officer

Post by Simplicius »

This isn't really unique or original but I quite like the theory that Star Trek: First Contact created the ENT timeline and I tie the Temporal Cold War in as being the result an exploitable rift in time. It clears up pretty much all the continuity errors and stylistic weirdness. Unfortunately it would make the Augment virus sub-plot quite pointless.

DIS is set in the Kelvin timeline, which would explain the styilistic similarities and the horrific treatment of wider continuity.

I absolutely loathe everything that's happened to the Romulans since Star Trek: Nemesis so I don't see a need to "headcanon" any of it. Headcanon is for stuff you like but just don't think fits very well. If I hated DIS or ENT I wouldn't bother coming up with any kind of explanation. I'd just say "it didn't happen" and move on.

So, the existence of Remans, the dumb Picard clone coup and the Hobus FTL Abramsplosion ... just didn't happen. It's crap so why should I bother?