Star Trek Discovery: Season Three

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Link8909
Captain

Re: Star Trek Dsicovery: Season Three

Post by Link8909 »

Actarus wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:55 pm It depends on the prevalence of the natural event. If the event only happens once in a few 10,000 years, it is quite possible that dilithium could have been used relatively safely for 4,000 years. I mean, we know that comets can fall on Earth and cause massive extinctions. Fortunately it happens so rarely that human civilization had a chance to rise. But tomorrow we could lose at the cosmic lottery, a comet could fall down and boom! we're dead. Or we could cross a gamma-burst ray, an event that happens once in millions of years. Nonsensical events happen every day. I would favor natural cause or stupid accident over villain's plan, personally...
Same here, I'm definitely leaning towards scientists messing around with dilithium, and things going wrong due to unforeseen consequences.
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

Actarus wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:42 pm OIl is not needed for travel in the present time, we know of other ways, yet all transportation and economy is built around it. If suddenly oil was not available anymore and even worse, if its disparition caused the destruction of all the ships, trains, planes and trucks we use in trade, it would cause an economic crisis like we never saw in the world since the Bronze Age collapse. We could know of alternatives, we know of alternatives, but would we be able to implement them? How to muster up the ressources needed to, let's say, build a merchant fleet powered by nuclear energy if you can't even move them? Or maybe we would get back to coal? Or wind? Whole armies would stop working, governments would collapse. Trade and interractions would revert to a much smaller scale. It would take years to rebuild an economy similar to what we have today.

As for the Romulan singularity core, we know that it was used in the D'deridex-class warbirds during the 24th century. But was it used on smaller crafts? Were the Romulan still able to build such reactors after the collapse of their Star Empire? I mean, controlling a mini black hole must require a lot of energy and ressources. If they are, they would certainly have an asset over any other power. I guess we'll know soon enough, since episode 7 is called "Unification III"...
This is also my own thought process with that they're going for in season three, while there are alternatives to faster than light travel (and Book even mentions a few) dilithium powered Warp Drives are the most common used for faster than light travel in Star Trek, so much like what would happen when we run out or anything else happened the oil, the destruction of dilithium is catastrophic.
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

J!! wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:14 am I'd just like to say how much I loved that scene at the very end. A man who's been quietly maintaining his post for forty years, keeping the faith, and having it rewarded when an actual Star Fleet Officer walks in his door and grants him a field commission so that he can personally raise the flag of the Federation once more.

Just fucking beautiful.
Agreed, love that end scene.

- Jean-Luc Picard
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

Makeshift Python wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:01 pm So the Disco is going to show up much later, that by the time they arrive through the vortex time will have passed for Michael, which means she'll be somewhat different after having teamed up with Book. I think a way to make that effective is to put her aside all of Part 2, where we mainly focus on what's happening from the Disco's point of view. By the time the episode ends, Michael shows up but now a different person, ready to bring her crew up to speed on what's been going on in the 32nd century.
1. I was right on the money in that quote.

2. It's really nice to see the crew get some focus, have a few threads planted (Detmer's PTSD?). Saru is really shaping up to be a very good captain by being assertive, encouraging, and level headed to his crew.

3. Trek has always had a streak of western in its DNA, so it was fun to see that come pretty blatant with the space saloon.

I actually thought this was a better episode overall.
cloudkitt
Officer

Post by cloudkitt »

Holy crap an episode without Burnham. Never thought I'd see the day
Asvarduil
Officer

Post by Asvarduil »

Yeah just got done watching S3 E2.

Basically, that episode has validated everything anyone has said in the vein of "Discovery needs less Michael Burnham". It wasn't just watchable, it was actually pretty good! There was a clear set of problems, there was action to fix those problems, something got in the way, and the problem was solved.

Characters who normally were - at best - window dressing got some time in the spotlight. Something is off with Detmer, we don't know what. Saru showed that he's a damn good starship captain already. Tilly didn't get to do too much that was amazing, but frankly? It was good to show that she's still got some growth left in her.

And, dare I say, but the interplay between Reno, Stamets, and Culber was downright endearing. Without Michael throwing off the perspective, it's easy Culber & Stamets as a couple in love, with Reno who just enjoys trolling the both of them in a friendly way.

Best of all? Mirror Georgiou might or might not be somewhat chilling out. She had a huge opportunity to do some downright, mustache-twirlingly evil stuff, and she didn't do it! (though she did come close, because of course she did.)

Lastly, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that Saru will be the first Star Trek hero-ship captain who isn't a human! A little bit of progress!
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

Asvarduil wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:31 pm Lastly, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that Saru will be the first Star Trek hero-ship captain who isn't a human! A little bit of progress!
This is something I've been waiting for a long time to happen. He won't be the star like other show captains, but it's cool to have the hero ship have a non-human captain. It's not official yet, but I'm already waiting for that episode where he's given a full on commission.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Asvarduil wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:31 pmLastly, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that Saru will be the first Star Trek hero-ship captain who isn't a human! A little bit of progress!
Technically, Sisko would've been the first non-human captain.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Asvarduil
Officer

Post by Asvarduil »

Madner Kami wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:34 pm
Asvarduil wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:31 pmLastly, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that Saru will be the first Star Trek hero-ship captain who isn't a human! A little bit of progress!
Technically, Sisko would've been the first non-human captain.
To be entirely fair, "Bajoran Demi-god" is neither a race nor a species. The Sisko was (allegedly) a human in both biology and identity.

That said, his alignment was Lawful Awesome.
Ordo
Officer

Post by Ordo »

Makeshift Python wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:55 pm
Asvarduil wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:31 pm Lastly, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that Saru will be the first Star Trek hero-ship captain who isn't a human! A little bit of progress!
This is something I've been waiting for a long time to happen. He won't be the star like other show captains, but it's cool to have the hero ship have a non-human captain. It's not official yet, but I'm already waiting for that episode where he's given a full on commission.
Well, if they do run into remnants of the Federation in episode 3 as the return to Earth suggests, it'll be interesting if they give official command of the ship to Saru. They can then assign Burnham and Book to investigate the cause of the Burn, while the Discovery is assigned to restablish contact with Federation member worlds. In all honesty, Burnham & Book's mission could tend to overlap with Saru and the Discovery's mission so you can have them interact in interesting ways without having Michael constantly at the forefront.

I do not wish to completely divorce michael from the show, but I DO want to shine more of a spotlight on the Discovery crew as they seem a likable bunch. So watching them try to expand the Federations influence with Saru at the helm, while Michael & Book try to sort out the 'Burn' (With Overlap) could work. In that scenario Burnham uses the Discovery as her Base of Operations but can often be off ship tracking down a lead while the Discovery and her crew deal with another issue. At times Burnham comes back and shares what she learned and everyone works together to find a solution to 'The Burn'.

That's just my thinking, though.