Wonder Woman 1984

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
PerrySimm
Captain

Re: Wonder Woman 1984

Post by PerrySimm »

The strongest part of the movie was when it was trying to be "An 80s Movie". For a while it seemed like it was going to be that. It was going to be An 80s Movie! And then it... kept going... just, on and on...

Messing around in the Middle East? Learning To Fly? That's cool and all, but what this movie was really missing was Wonder Woman in legwarmers skateboarding into The Noid breakdancing in front of a boombox.

During the opening, I thought for sure it was going to cut to Diana in the LA Colosseum at the '84 Olympics. I mean, The Mall is pretty 80s. But it's not NEW COKE FLO-JO 80s.

So if you were to just make everything more viscerally E-I-G-H-T-I-E-S, and take out Egypt, Steve, and about half of "You Can't Win, Baby Diana, We Know You Skipped A Checkpoint", at least you've got your setting nailed down and your runtime at proper length.
UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

PerrySimm wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:49 amMessing around in the Middle East? Learning To Fly? That's cool and all, but what this movie was really missing was Wonder Woman in legwarmers skateboarding into The Noid breakdancing in front of a boombox.
You know, Batman fans would disown you for a joke like this.
..What mirror universe?
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

Don't know if anyone cares at this point.
The movie sucked, it seems to have already been forgotten,

BUT,

How It Should Have Ended did a thing on it and it got two big laughs out of me along with a couple chuckles.
https://youtu.be/tG20xxWt4nU
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

PerrySimm wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:49 am The strongest part of the movie was when it was trying to be "An 80s Movie". For a while it seemed like it was going to be that. It was going to be An 80s Movie! And then it... kept going... just, on and on...

Messing around in the Middle East? Learning To Fly? That's cool and all, but what this movie was really missing was Wonder Woman in legwarmers skateboarding into The Noid breakdancing in front of a boombox
You make a strong case.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

I'm on the fence about this, but that's possibly the weirdest villain resolution moments I've ever seen.

Everything else about the movie was utterly superb except for it comes off pretty corny when I'd think it'd be better if it was just more stoic.

I was really able to keep engaged when the film go into its higher middle gear or whatever. Most movies that follow that structure I really have to gesture to look at my watch or something, but they changed tones to a captivating fantastical element with an allegory aptly shot for me.
..What mirror universe?
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I would have rewritten the movie so the artifact talks and was made by Darkseid.

Maybe making it look like his head.

At least some of the problems would be solved by making it clear it's a malevolent sentient evil thing that only grants evil wishes.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:59 am At least some of the problems would be solved by making it clear it's a malevolent sentient evil thing that only grants evil wishes.
It felt clear to me, both because of the comparison to the Monkey's Paw story, and just a general expectation of "wish-granting objects are rarely benign" in fiction. Especially when we pretty quickly saw hints that each wish granted had... problems.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Deledrius wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:59 am
CharlesPhipps wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:59 am At least some of the problems would be solved by making it clear it's a malevolent sentient evil thing that only grants evil wishes.
It felt clear to me, both because of the comparison to the Monkey's Paw story, and just a general expectation of "wish-granting objects are rarely benign" in fiction. Especially when we pretty quickly saw hints that each wish granted had... problems.
It was a rather radiant dilemma. That really helped the movie standout as a comic book movie alone.
..What mirror universe?