KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC REMAKE!!! YES!!!

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
hammerofglass
Captain

Re: KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC REMAKE!!! YES!!!

Post by hammerofglass »

Avellone wrote the second game, so that patrt makes sense.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

hammerofglass wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:02 pm
Yukaphile wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:59 pm It's funny you mock me for saying Legends is a niche, but then look at KOTOR - a product of that continuity! So Disney's right to go chasing normies, apparently. And yeah, you wanted this. You've been asking for it. You made the bed. Now lie in it. While I never did, so I have every right to complain as loudly as I want and reserve every opportunity to do so. You're just bullies. The same as anyone else picking on the outlier nerds. "Oh boo-hoo, go cry into your books!" Yeah, we live in a world where wanting more books in a limited genre that will sell anyway, even in a limited format, is somehow mocked and just rejected. Completely disgusting society we live in. Sometimes makes you wonder if Joker was right.
I think most of the people on this thread have read more of Legends than you have. We're geeks of the generation where the original KOTOR is nostalgic. You aren't even an outlier for liking it. You're Dafydd flamboyantly insisting his life is so hard because he's "the only gay in the village" when everyone around him is quietly going about their day with their same-sex partners.
Don't speculate on what you can't prove. And really, EVERYONE here sure doesn't act like it with how hard you put them down. LOL. People like YOU are EXACTLY who Lucasfilm wants as fans and is catering to. But don't pretend there isn't petty jealousy in the licensing department or that rampant narcissism isn't the norm for their management. To encourage headcanon. To confuse normies. To sow more division. They WANT Legends dead so normies don't know where they get their ideas. They said it best, remember. "Let the past die. Kill it if you have to!"
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I'll say this. I'd take a new Legends novel exploring the Anti-Force realm Waru hails from over this KOTOR remake. I'm willing to buy that. I'm not going to shill out for rehashed unoriginal crap.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

My point in bringing up Kevin J. Anderson was in how that as the foundation for the games anyway. I know googling can fill in those gaps these days, but I don't think they'll even do that. You don't have the foundation, what is there to write for? Why bring in NEW WRITERS except to change little details here and there?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

That's the world. New books are impossible. Boo-hoo. Yeah. If that's the world, then frankly, this world IS getting worse. And worse. And worse and worse. And worse and worse and worse and worse. DON'T DEFEND THEM EITHER. You've insisted over and over, "that's a niche!" Yeah, there's the bullying! Because it doesn't go for the normie crowd. So it's less valid. Tch. DO YOU REALLY THINK LITERATURE AND COMIC BOOKS ARE MAINSTREAM ANYMORE? I've had that argument used against me before. It's still money, even drop in the bucket money, but it's just reprints. Still just reprints, reprints, reprints! They have no original ideas. At all.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

And some users wonder I'm just getting so angry at what's a rehash. A REHASH makes people happy. A story we already know, that's likely to be changed. What a sad affair.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I need to get out of here.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Nobody is bullying you. They're refusing to be bullied by you. Big difference.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Yukaphile wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:07 pm I need to get out of here.
Please do that, please go.
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

hammerofglass wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:15 pm Nobody is bullying you. They're refusing to be bullied by you. Big difference.
Anyone who insults creators by Repeatedly, insinuating that said creator wants to have sex with the character they created, makes several posts when one is more then sufficient, claims someone keeps using the word "niche" when it was used only once in the argument and keeps calling insisting that they are being bullied when some expresses a different opinion then them.

When I posted the question of whether players would have the option of being able to play Revan as non-binary, Yukaphile came in and posted a comment that was mini-rant about, quote,
Yukaphile wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:05 am Who CARES about proper language? We are getting obsessive and battling over language use. Frankly, it's pathetic. Words that once meant something mean nothing now.
And then, when I and clearspira were continuing our conversation about the pronouns for people who are non-binary and neither of us were just casually talking Yukaphile came in again with this little gem.
Yukaphile wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:14 am You know what broke the Overton Window? I do remember the discussions we used to have about that. Not Trump. He just put a big public face on what was already there. THE INTERNET. Just creeping up on everything. Call it a double standard, we need to accept them, but take it from this Internet user - the Internet was a mistake and it'd be better if it was just purged, deleted worldwide. There'd be fallout, but I have to wonder if once we recovered from it, that'd we IMPROVE, as a race and as people.
Now I had largely ignored in other posts because everyone is entitled to their own opinion which is the whole point of this site but after this I just lost it and went on a full on rant. clearspira and I were having, as far as I could tell, a polite conversation and Yukaphile decided that what this conversation needed was how how proper us of language and how the internet was evil and we should destroy it.

I've often found myself in disagreement with other people here on SF Debris but as far as I know I haven't offended anyone and for the most part we've been able to agree to disagree and move on to the next topic. I think She-Ra and the Princesses of Power is a great show, I think TDST is a lazy retread of TOT and I'm excited for KOTOR Remake and I'm aware that some might not agree with me AND I'M FINE WITH THAT!!!

I've had interesting conversations with people have the opposite opinion to mine and while I may not always agree I at least respect other people enough to just present my argument and let them make up their own minds. I'm critical of TDST but I would 100% wish anyone the best of luck for a story that was a sequel to TDST and if it looked like fun I would likely go and watch it because it could be great.

Yukaphile, on the other hand, is again the best example of Toxic Nostalgia that Linkara covered in his Infinite Crisis Review because they keep going on about how much better the stories in the past are compared to today. I love many stories from the Lucas Era of Star Wars and like that Lucas had a mostly hands off approach when it came to other writers working on Star Wars while the Disney Era felt like it was being hampered by Executive Meddling. That doesn't mean everything from the Lucas Era was a Classic and everything from the Disney Era has been bad.

I'm expecting a TTT adaptation of some sort in the future because of the books popularity and sure it likely won't be a perfect recreation but as long as it captures the soul of the work then I'm fine with that. Keep in mind that William Shakespeare's work consisted mostly of adaptations, historical peaces and propaganda that often altered the original work significantly from it's original source material (and often resulted in works that are STILL be praised to this day) and most people don't really complain about them. JRR Tolkien borrowed HEAVILY from older stories up to and including taking names directly from stories like Beowulf and no one has any real issue with that. Star Trek was basically a remake of Forbidden Planet, Star Wars borrows from several sources and stories and started as a Flash Gorden story.

Originality is overrated, EVERYTHING is borrowed, EVERYTHING is taken from someplace else and most of the time we're usually okay with it.

I critique TDST because it's just the Original Trilogy slightly alerted but praise the Original Trilogy because it uses it's sources as inspiration to make the old feel new. I'm excited for KOTOR Remake because it can be great by retelling a iconic story (which also borrowed heavily from TOT) while adding new elements. I've mentioned some of these before but maybe include more romantic options, give us the option to play Revan as Non-Binary as well as male and female, update the gameplay as well as the graphics and maybe even give us some new boss fights like making the Krayt Dragon a proper boss fight similar to the battle with the beast in The Mandalorian and make the light saber duels more intense and dynamic.

Taking something we've all seen and many of us have played and adding something else that we've seen before to make it feel fresh. I'm willing to keep an open mind and if it sucks I'll likely be disappointed, critique it and move on. The original is still there and I can still play it whenever I want but it has shown its age and I do think that an upgrade in the form of a remake is a little overdue. Sure it's new, yes it's being made during the Disney Era. So what? Disney has made many films that are great and ones that I would like to see continue. I liked Raya and the Last Dragon and want to see it get a sequel. I LOVED Frozen 2 and again hope it gets a sequel. I'm looking forward to going on Rise of the Resistance even though it's tied directly into TDST which I have been critiquing for a while because it looks like fun.

I can except the new and still enjoy the old while Yukaphile seems to be stuck in the past and keeps complaining about anything and everything just because they can.